Author Topic: Top four worst, and best, ways to help after a disaster  (Read 1454 times)

Offline mountaineer

Re: Top four worst, and best, ways to help after a disaster
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2017, 11:36:53 am »
Houston Survivor: Please Give. Harvey Devastation ‘Is Worse Than You Think’
August 29, 2017 By Jesse Kelly   
The Federalist (excerpted)

You have seen Houston flood devastation on TV. I live here in a Houston suburb, and let me tell you, it is worse than you think. As I write this, I can hear rescue boats picking people up less than a mile from my house. But countless articles have already been written about the poor people displaced, the property damage, the businesses wiped out. That’s not what this is.

The only opinion I will give here is you should be very proud of your fellow man. Every day I am out in the horrible mess down here and all I see are selfless Americans giving everything they have to help. No politics. No divisiveness. Just acts of selfless love. You should be very proud of your countrymen.

The question I keep getting is, “How can I help?” Money. That’s the long and the short of it. The generosity has been so extensive with the giving of supplies that most places are pretty set for now. But lots of money will be needed going forward.

Charities are a dime a dozen, and some are more reputable than others, so here are a few I trust. Please click on the link of your choosing and give if you can.

Bay Area Church
    Samaritan’s Purse
    JJ Watt’s Flood Charity
    Salvation Army ...
Rest of story  and links to charities here.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline berdie

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2017, 10:20:55 pm »
Short version: send money, and keep sending money.

Typical American church mentality. *****rollingeyes*****

What an odd thing to say on a thread like this @jmyrlefuller .

No way you could know my intent...but I'm certainly not soliciting donations for anyone. Just suggesting ways that the donations could go directly to the intended cause.

The Baptist Men, as, exhibited in @INVAR post do many, many good things. Those guys turn out at least 2 hot meals a day during a disaster for relief workers and victims. And they are good meals...not peanut butter and crackers.  Just for the record...I am not a Baptist. I only know their work. :laugh:

I will keep in mind to not post anything like of that nature an this site again.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2017, 10:34:04 pm »
What an odd thing to say on a thread like this @jmyrlefuller .

No way you could know my intent...but I'm certainly not soliciting donations for anyone. Just suggesting ways that the donations could go directly to the intended cause.

The Baptist Men, as, exhibited in @INVAR post do many, many good things. Those guys turn out at least 2 hot meals a day during a disaster for relief workers and victims. And they are good meals...not peanut butter and crackers.  Just for the record...I am not a Baptist. I only know their work. :laugh:

I will keep in mind to not post anything like of that nature an this site again.

Don't let anyone keep you from posting whatever you want.  If people don't want to give, no one is forcing them to do so. 

On a personal note, I learned from this thread that there are a lot more good organizations out there than there are cons like the Red Cross.  And hey, if anyone still wants to give to Red Cross, I for one don't care.

Offline berdie

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2017, 11:27:41 pm »
Don't let anyone keep you from posting whatever you want.  If people don't want to give, no one is forcing them to do so. 

On a personal note, I learned from this thread that there are a lot more good organizations out there than there are cons like the Red Cross.  And hey, if anyone still wants to give to Red Cross, I for one don't care.

Of course, you are right, @Applewood . Nobody knows me so they might assume that I am a solicitor.

I actually volunteered for the RC for about  2 years. They ARE a good organization with some upper level management issues. And if (on a volunteer level) you have to deal with them...it will make you pull your hair out. But that happens when you deal with a volunteer based organization. Or that might have been the chapter I was involved with.  I never worked a disaster of this magnitude.  Mainly fires, kidnappings, drownings and man hunts.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2017, 11:42:04 pm »
Of course, you are right, @Applewood . Nobody knows me so they might assume that I am a solicitor.

I actually volunteered for the RC for about  2 years. They ARE a good organization with some upper level management issues. And if (on a volunteer level) you have to deal with them...it will make you pull your hair out. But that happens when you deal with a volunteer based organization. Or that might have been the chapter I was involved with.  I never worked a disaster of this magnitude.  Mainly fires, kidnappings, drownings and man hunts.

I certainly do not think you are soliciting. You are encouraging people who are so inclined to make a donation that will actually benefit those for whom it is intended.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2017, 01:22:50 am »
@berdie

My synagogue is collecting they sent out an email to their congregation today and all the money collected is going to some other synagogue in Houston and areas to help their congragants.

My local fire dept is collecting and they are renting an 18 wheeler with other community volunteers to bring down supplies next week.

I'm on a fixed income but I'm cutting corners to send money. It's the right thing to do. If you can spare some, it's a mitzvah. Next time it could be you.   

Post anything you want my friend. ❤️ I like your posts
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 01:24:13 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2017, 02:20:21 am »
thanks, @thackney .  Going to the length you do while your entire family is under duress, is the definition of going above and beyond.

God Bless you.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline berdie

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2017, 05:43:59 am »
@berdie

My synagogue is collecting they sent out an email to their congregation today and all the money collected is going to some other synagogue in Houston and areas to help their congragants.

My local fire dept is collecting and they are renting an 18 wheeler with other community volunteers to bring down supplies next week.

I'm on a fixed income but I'm cutting corners to send money. It's the right thing to do. If you can spare some, it's a mitzvah. Next time it could be you.   

Post anything you want my friend. ❤️ I like your posts

Thank you @Freya  for your whole post. you are a very kind person.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2017, 12:19:13 pm »
You are absolutely right, @Freya  I couldn't have said it better.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org