Author Topic: What if the South had won the War Between the States?  (Read 668 times)

Mad Max

What if the South had won the War Between the States?
« on: August 24, 2017, 08:49:10 am »
By Russell D. Longcore

How different would the world be today if the Confederate States of America (CSA) had won? Here is my version of how history might have transpired.

The first seven Southern states seceded from the Union and formed the Confederate States of America in February of 1861. The first hostilities at Fort Sumter, SC happened in April 1861.

Battle of Bull Run/First Manassas, July, 1861

(In the actual battle, the South wins. CSA Generals Beauregard and Johnston command barely 29,000 troops against 50,000 Federal troops under the command of Gen Winfield Scott. The Confederacy wins the battle, and the Federal troops make a full panicked retreat back to Washington. But President Jefferson Davis hesitates and loses the opportunity to capture Washington, DC, which would have ended the war in the first major battle. Here is how it could have gone if Davis had made a positive decision to complete the battle, and here is the history that could have flowed from that victory.)

Learning of the Federal defeat and retreat, President Jefferson Davis and General Beauregard order the CSA troops to complete the rout by pursuing the Northern troops back to Washington, only about 30 miles. The pursuit is made far easier for CSA troops as the Federals have abandoned their stores of provisions all along the way back to Washington. A small cavalry force under the command of General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson captures the White House and President Lincoln. The cavalry and CSA troops camp on the White House lawn.

Within a week, President Davis and General Robert E. Lee begin negotiations with Lincoln, Cabinet members and Congress members to cease hostilities permanently. The parties negotiate various treaties regarding commerce between the nations. They determine that subsequent territories desirous of statehood get to choose which nation to join, and other border issues.

more
http://www.confederatedigest.com/2009/12/what-if-confederates-had-won-war.html
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 04:20:35 pm by mystery-ak »

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: What if the South had won the War Between the States?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 03:48:00 pm »
I read the whole thing.  It was amazingly silly.  Pretty much wet-dream material for Confederate apologists.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 05:50:36 pm »
Europe would have taken advantage of the split and we would have at the very least not settled the West completely, or have taken much longer. At worst one or both nations would have become a colony again.

There are many other scenarios, few good. There is also the US impact on WWI and WWII to considers, as well as the rise of Communism.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 07:10:46 pm »
If you're really interested in this concept, you should read Harry Turtledove's "Southern Victory" series of 11 novels:

Southern Victory

It kind of falls down a bit in the last 4-5 novels as Turtledove starts to work too hard to create parallels between the Confederacy and the Third Reich, but it's still an enjoyable series to read.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!