Author Topic: Why Teen Girls Are at Such a High Risk for Depression  (Read 748 times)

rangerrebew

Why Teen Girls Are at Such a High Risk for Depression
« on: August 23, 2017, 11:08:33 am »

Why Teen Girls Are at Such a High Risk for Depression
A number of factors make girls as young as 11 more likely than boys to experience depression.

By David Levine, Contributor | Aug. 22, 2017, at 2:41 p.m.

An alarming study published in May 2017 in the journal Translational Psychiatry found that more than one-third of teenage girls in the U.S. experience a first episode of depression – and that’s almost three times the rate for boys. In results from the National Survey of Drug Use and Health between 2009 and 2014, 36.1 percent of girls reported depression, compared to 13.6 percent of boys who had their first onset of depression.

Sex differences in depression are well documented among adults, but this analysis discovered that these differences begin to manifest much earlier than previously thought. In fact, it “is already quite large among the 12-year-old respondents, who were reporting onsets that occurred when they were as young as 11 years for age,” the report states, suggesting that factors already apparent in childhood contribute to the differences between boys and girls.

http://health.usnews.com/health-care/patient-advice/articles/2017-08-22/why-teen-girls-are-at-such-a-high-risk-for-depression

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Why Teen Girls Are at Such a High Risk for Depression
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 02:21:50 pm »
Because our society teaches them to be social media addicted, super competitive, passive-aggressive, hyper-emotional drama queens that that get all tizzied by the smallest little thing?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 07:21:07 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 07:09:24 pm »
Is it really three times the rate for boy's or are the numbers skewed because most boys are not still not feminized enough and they just 'Man" up and keep it to themselves?

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 07:17:59 pm »
Too much time on social media sites adles their young brains.   Pads, phones and such usage should be limited to only two hours a day max for children under 17.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 08:13:19 am »
Because our society teaches them to be social media addicted, super competitive, passive-aggressive, hyper-emotional drama queens that that get all tizzied by the smallest little thing?
Oh, that's definitely part of it.

Part is biology, too. Observing 9 granddaughters' behaviour as they grow up, Mrs. Joe was able to predict their cycles when they got a little older.

One reason I'm glad to be a guy is that my body isn't subject to anywhere near the changes women go through, not just during their lives, but from week to week, in hormonal balance.

When those start ramping up at puberty, some pretty wild emotional effects are not uncommon. Now, overwrite that situation with all you have noted, and the problems of development are compounded, then add in the ability to be smeared, socially shunned, mischaracterized by cadres and covens of patently mean other girls (and there isn't much meaner on the planet, limited only by means at their disposal to be cruel, than a gaggle of teenage girls who have selected a target to torment), and you have an environment I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Small wonder so many of them are getting depressed, and they are often being medicated instead of taught how to cope.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 08:14:51 am »
Is it really three times the rate for boy's or are the numbers skewed because most boys are not still not feminized enough and they just 'Man" up and keep it to themselves?

Boys know where the cameras are not. Things get sorted out, old school, still. While that doesn't work for everyone, it still cuts down on the crap.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis