Author Topic: Congress unlikely to pay for border wall, but Trump has other options  (Read 293 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Hill by Nolan Rappaport 8/21/2017

President’s Trump appears willing to risk a government shutdown this fall in order to secure funds for his promised wall on the United States-Mexico border. His prospects are slim, considering Republicans lawmakers need the support of Democrats to pass a bill to fund the government.

Trump has other options, however.

If the president is unable to get funding for the wall, he will need another way to improve border security that Congress could agree to fund. An enforcement program to reduce the number of people making illegal crossings is a viable alternative.   

The program should include measures to prevent the removal of aliens who would benefit our national interests if they are allowed to remain. An enforcement-only approach would be counterproductive. 

Mexico certainly won’t pay for the wall. In a leaked phone conversation Trump had earlier this year with Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto, Nieto said, “I have recognized the right of any government to protect its borders as it deems necessary and convenient.  But my position has been and will continue to be very firm saying that Mexico cannot pay for that wall.”

And Congress may not pay for it either.

The House recently approved a spending bill that includes $1.6 billion towards building the wall, but it has stalled in the Senate. Senate Republicans apparently want to avoid the very same spending showdown with the Democrats that Trump is willing to cause. 

More: http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/immigration/347359-congress-unlikely-to-pay-for-border-wall-but-trump-has-other

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Congress unlikely to pay for border wall, but Trump has other options
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 08:40:43 pm »
Congress won't allocate the money but its still Trumps fault.   right?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Congress unlikely to pay for border wall, but Trump has other options
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 08:49:08 pm »