Author Topic: 7 Senate seats most likely to flip in 2018  (Read 2716 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
7 Senate seats most likely to flip in 2018
« on: August 22, 2017, 07:47:47 pm »
7 Senate seats most likely to flip in 2018
By Ben Kamisar and Lisa Hagen - 08/22/17 03:20 PM EDT

Next year’s midterm elections will provide Republicans with a major opportunity to build their majority in the Senate — if they can overcome President Trump’s dismal approval rating and internal party rancor.

The 2018 Senate map heavily favors Republicans, who will only defend eight seats, including just two of which are considered vulnerable right now. By comparison, Democrats have to defend 25 seats, including 10 in states that Trump won in 2016.

Despite the rough landscape, Democrats received a handful of breaks in the early months of 2017. But with so few offensive opportunities, Democrats will have to thread the needle in deep-red states just to tread water.

As the summer months tread on, here are the seven most vulnerable Senate seats of the 2018 midterm elections as they stand now.

Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nev.)

Heller is the only Republican up for reelection in 2018 who represents a state that Hillary Clinton won last November. Making matters worse for Heller, he’s had a rough 2017.

His public wavering during the recent healthcare debate will hurt Heller in a state he won with only 46 percent of the vote in 2012, especially since his state accepted ObamaCare’s Medicaid expansion. By the end of the GOP ObamaCare repeal push, a poll from the Democratic-leaning Public Policy Polling found him with a 22 percent approval rating.

Democrats are largely falling in line behind Rep. Jacky Rosen (D-Nev.), a strong challenger with backing from former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, the dean of Nevada Democrats. Rep. Dina Titus (D-Nev.) is still weighing a bid, but Democrats’ near-uniform support for Rosen could squeeze Titus out of the race and give the party more time to focus on Heller.

In the meantime, Rosen and Democratic groups have hammered Heller on his healthcare position. Perennial candidate Danny Tarkanian will challenge Heller in the GOP primary from the right, a fight that could hurt Heller with the Republican base. But as an incumbent, Heller will have heavy reinforcements from Washington Republicans who are committed to helping one of their own.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/347394-the-7-most-vulnerable-senators-in-2018
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Wingnut

Re: 7 Senate seats most likely to flip in 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 08:37:32 pm »
The 2018 Senate map heavily favors Republicans, who will only defend eight seats, including just two of which are considered vulnerable right now. By comparison, Democrats have to defend 25 seats, including 10 in states that Trump won in 2016.

A Rats rough year in 2018! Bless their little dnc fundraising hearts who will try and fund them to victory!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 09:03:02 pm »
Great time for conservatives to take a shot at some of these like Heller in the primary.
The Republic is lost.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 09:21:56 pm »
I so wish Florida would finally dump Bill Nelson, but I don't see it happening.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 09:23:33 pm »
Gonna lose a lot more than 7 seats if the Republicans don't shape up.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 09:54:11 pm »
Great time for conservatives to take a shot at some of these like Heller in the primary.

It may be the case, voters in this Hillary state will only go as far as Heller type Republican.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 12:47:11 am »
This is about Flake.

Flake pulled strings with the Maricopa County attorney to get his kid off animal cruelty charges of killing 23 dogs in his kennel's care.  I don't hear much about Green Acres these days....
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:49:26 am by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 03:28:18 am »
Gonna lose a lot more than 7 seats if the Republicans don't shape up.
Did you actually read the article?

The 7 seats referred to are 2 Republicans and 5 Democrats.

So you are saying that the two GOP lose and the 5 Democrats win and at least 5 more GOP get upset?

You do realize do you not that there are only 8 total Senate positions up in 2018 held by the GOP?

So you are predicting that the Dems essentially sweep the entire election?

Glad you are not predicting the weather either.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 05:42:18 am »
I would be surprised if Testor  loses. He is ranking member on the Senate Veterans Affairs committee. They have got a couple a bills through that Trump signed, the GOP guy just won the auditor seat last November...there are a lot of Vets up here and I'm doubtful most would think any of the folks running on the GOP side will serve their interest better than Testor... :shrug:

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 12:38:13 pm »

A Rats rough year in 2018! Bless their little dnc fundraising hearts who will try and fund them to victory!

It should be, but I'm not counting out the DEMS yet in 2018 and I don't think we should get too comfortable in assuming that the Rats will lose in 2018 unless the GOP starts doing something; mainly repealing Bammycare and building the wall. The GOP could become over confident and complacent as they've done in the past and actually lose some seats. Also, every seat in the House is up for re-election.  2020 could be a whole different ballgame though. The GOP will they be defending the oval office and 21 seats will be up for grabs in the Senate.  However, as mandated by the Constitution a census will be taken in 2020 and right now it is projected that the 'rust belt' states that won Trump the election may actually lose electoral votes, though TX and FL where he won may actually gain electoral votes. Colorado and North Carolina should gain some electoral votes as well.  Redistricting is going on as well, but I wouldn't count out the Rats in 2018 just yet.

I'm hoping we can get rid of some of the RINO's in 2018 and 2020 (like McConnell)!!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:46:44 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 12:53:29 pm »
I so wish Florida would finally dump Bill Nelson, but I don't see it happening.

He's a relic that's been around forever, so it's going to be tough to unseat him.  Rumor has it though that Rick Scott may run for his Senate seat.  Ron De Santis is running for governor and I'm hoping the Majority Whip, Dane Eagle (though he's not declared yet) will run as well.  Two very good conservatives. Florida should turn more conservative.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 01:35:46 pm »

If Bob Menendez (D), New Jersey's senior senator, currently on trial for corruption, is found guilty, then Chris Christy will appoint a republican to his seat.

2018 could turn out to be a seminal year that could have a lasting impact on our political future.

http://www.politico.com/states/new-jersey/story/2017/08/22/as-menendez-trial-begins-corruption-case-brings-high-stakes-114054

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 02:27:48 pm »
He's a relic that's been around forever, so it's going to be tough to unseat him.  Rumor has it though that Rick Scott may run for his Senate seat.  Ron De Santis is running for governor and I'm hoping the Majority Whip, Dane Eagle (though he's not declared yet) will run as well.  Two very good conservatives. Florida should turn more conservative.

I read that Rick Scott may run, but I don't give him much chance of winning against Nelson.  A perfect candidate would be hard to beat Nelson and a lot of people blame him for the algae problems last year in South Florida from the Lake Okeechobee discharges, and that's a big deal here.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 03:08:36 pm »
I read that Rick Scott may run, but I don't give him much chance of winning against Nelson.  A perfect candidate would be hard to beat Nelson and a lot of people blame him for the algae problems last year in South Florida from the Lake Okeechobee discharges, and that's a big deal here.

I think Scott will unseat him.  Scott has been a popular governor and he turned around one of the worst economies in the nation. Florida was hit hard during the down turn and Scott was able to turn it around.  Florida's economy right now is booming; Florida's 2016 real GDP — was $815.1 billion, the fourth-largest in the nation behind No. 1 California, Texas and New York. Scott is also associated with more substantial name recognition than Nelson (though he's been around longer). Scott has a higher approval rating and he has a good relationship with Trump (which may or may not help him).  He'd have the insurance lobbyists and the pharmaceutical lobbyists backing him along with the other money machines. He's not exactly poor with an estimated net worth of $150 million. 

As for being blamed for the runoff of Lake O??? That's ridiculous.  That's been an ongoing problem for decades; and has been tossed back and forth in the state legislature, the South Florida Water Management District and the Army Corps of Engineers.  Improvements are coming as Senate Bill 10 passed this year addressing many of the problems and passed in the House as well.  Projects are underway and are being paid for by the Land Acquisition Trust Fund and the General Revenue Fund.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/floridas-economy-growing-faster-than-other-big-states-and-far-better-than/2325300

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/04/13/florida-senate-passes-sb-10-build-reservoir/

http://www.winknews.com/2017/05/02/lake-o-reservoir-bill-passes-house/

Online Hoodat

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 03:17:43 pm »

Republicans will find a way to screw this up.  Who will be this year's Todd Akin?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 03:19:47 pm »
I think Scott will unseat him.  Scott has been a popular governor and he turned around one of the worst economies in the nation. Florida was hit hard during the down turn and Scott was able to turn it around.  Florida's economy right now is booming; Florida's 2016 real GDP — was $815.1 billion, the fourth-largest in the nation behind No. 1 California, Texas and New York. Scott is also associated with more substantial name recognition than Nelson (though he's been around longer). Scott has a higher approval rating and he has a good relationship with Trump (which may or may not help him).  He'd have the insurance lobbyists and the pharmaceutical lobbyists backing him along with the other money machines. He's not exactly poor with an estimated net worth of $150 million. 

As for being blamed for the runoff of Lake O??? That's ridiculous.  That's been an ongoing problem for decades; and has been tossed back and forth in the state legislature, the South Florida Water Management District and the Army Corps of Engineers.  Improvements are coming as Senate Bill 10 passed this year addressing many of the problems and passed in the House as well.  Projects are underway and are being paid for by the Land Acquisition Trust Fund and the General Revenue Fund.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/floridas-economy-growing-faster-than-other-big-states-and-far-better-than/2325300

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/04/13/florida-senate-passes-sb-10-build-reservoir/

http://www.winknews.com/2017/05/02/lake-o-reservoir-bill-passes-house/

I hope you are right.  Obviously I would love to see Nelson retired.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 03:38:16 pm »
Nelson has has so much botox that he looks like he has been embalmed.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Wingnut

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 03:39:27 pm »

Even the worms wouldn't touch that stiff.

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 03:54:40 pm »
Pelosi needs that same treatment

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 03:56:02 pm »
     Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.)

In 2016, West Virginia went for Trump by a larger margin than any other state — 42 points.

That resounding victory hasn’t been lost on Manchin, who’s made it a point to try to work with the president and Senate GOP colleagues. Another factor counting in his favor: Manchin’s consistent record of winning statewide office in the West Virginia since 2001, despite the state’s rightward drift.

But Trump’s popularity in West Virginia has drawn interest from strong Republican candidates, and the winner will pose a serious threat to Manchin’s political future. And Democrats can’t be encouraged by Gov. Jim Justice’s decision to ditch them and become a Republican last month, a decision he announced with Trump at his side.

Rep. Evan Jenkins (R-W.Va.) and West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey (R) are locked in another tough primary, as each tries to capture the mantle of being the “true conservative” in the race. The gloves have come off as Jenkins tries to frame Morrisey as late to the Trump bandwagon, while Morrisey focuses on Jenkins’s history as a Democratic state legislator.
Mojo's gungrabbing and flipflopping hasn't gone unnoticed by WV voters. In the upcoming GOP primary, Morrisey is a much better choice for conservatives. They're already duking it out.

Don't know whether any Dem will challenge Joe in their primary.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Wingnut

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 04:02:29 pm »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 04:04:52 pm »

You have to admit she represents her constituents perfectly.

Wingnut

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 04:08:07 pm »
You have to admit she represents her constituents perfectly.

Yes she does.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 05:05:25 pm »

Her BFF, Rosa DeLauro (Dumbass-CN).

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 05:11:36 pm »

Good grief, that looks like the horror movie I was watching last night at midnight.

Turn it off, like I did.