Author Topic: The New Science of Sex and Gender  (Read 533 times)

rangerrebew

The New Science of Sex and Gender
« on: August 22, 2017, 11:42:04 am »
The New Science of Sex and Gender

Why the new science of sex & gender matters for everyone

By THE EDITORS | Scientific American September 2017 Issue

Sex is supposed to be simple—at least at the molecular level. The biological explanations that appear in textbooks amount to X + X = and X + Y = . Venus or Mars, pink or blue. As science looks more closely, however, it becomes increasingly clear that a pair of chromosomes do not always suffice to distinguish girl/boy—either from the standpoint of sex (biological traits) or of gender (social identity).

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-new-science-of-sex-and-gender/

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: The New Science of Sex and Gender
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 01:03:44 pm »
Looks like SA has been converged now.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 01:26:54 pm »
This is the basis of their whole article:

To varying extents, many of us are biological hybrids on a male-female continuum. Researchers have found XY cells in a 94-year-old woman, and surgeons discovered a womb in a 70-year-old man, a father of four. New evidence suggests that the brain consists of a “mosaic” of cell types, some more yin, others further along the yang scale.

Wow! Objective science! Two whole people and a 'suggests!'

The rest is a speculative lead up, and followed by a politically correct social justice rant worthy of the World Workers Party quarterly newsletter.
The Republic is lost.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 01:59:19 pm »
I was filling out the forms in the Superintendent of Schools office to transfer one of the grandkids to a new school. I asked him what gender he was. Without skipping a beat, he replied "Toaster."  Great kid... :laugh:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 05:26:53 pm »
This is the basis of their whole article:

Wow! Objective science! Two whole people and a 'suggests!'

The rest is a speculative lead up, and followed by a politically correct social justice rant worthy of the World Workers Party quarterly newsletter.

Yes, of course, this is why I always characterize the belief that one is the opposite sex to that indicated by both one's genetics and external morphology as a delusion, and ask why that delusion is treated differently from any other (as another poster observed when I posted my view, we do not issue gold epaulets to people who believe they are Napoleon). 

There is a very rare phenomenon called complete androgen insensivity that results in genetic males (XY) maturing in female form (always infertile).  If such a person had a deep-seated belief they were male, they would present a case in which the female-to-male "sex-change" surgery procedure would be appropriately applied (though I'm not sure it could be called "sex-change" in that case).

I am perfectly willing to regard "transgenderism" in case where chromosome and morphology disagree, or morphology was ambiguous at birth, as a condition that should be regarded as a condition that should be treated with compassion, probably including accepting the person's feeling as a basis for resolving which sex the person should be regarded as being.  (Perhaps not surprisingly, since I am an Orthodox Christian, and the one definitive statement issued by any Orthodox Holy Synod on the matter is that which I hold.  cf. The Basis of the Social Concept of the Russian Orthodox Church, issued a few years back by the Holy Synod of Moscow.)
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 05:55:23 pm »
Yes, of course, this is why I always characterize the belief that one is the opposite sex to that indicated by both one's genetics and external morphology as a delusion, and ask why that delusion is treated differently from any other (as another poster observed when I posted my view, we do not issue gold epaulets to people who believe they are Napoleon). 

There is a very rare phenomenon called complete androgen insensivity that results in genetic males (XY) maturing in female form (always infertile).  If such a person had a deep-seated belief they were male, they would present a case in which the female-to-male "sex-change" surgery procedure would be appropriately applied (though I'm not sure it could be called "sex-change" in that case).

I am perfectly willing to regard "transgenderism" in case where chromosome and morphology disagree, or morphology was ambiguous at birth, as a condition that should be regarded as a condition that should be treated with compassion, probably including accepting the person's feeling as a basis for resolving which sex the person should be regarded as being.  (Perhaps not surprisingly, since I am an Orthodox Christian, and the one definitive statement issued by any Orthodox Holy Synod on the matter is that which I hold.  cf. The Basis of the Social Concept of the Russian Orthodox Church, issued a few years back by the Holy Synod of Moscow.)

That's the two step shuffle the leftists play with this issue. They want to cite 14th amendment equality to these little deviant groups that claim psychology as the basis for their minority status. Yet they will not equally honor that status to others.

If I say I'm a cat, should that not be honored? Do I not have the right to demand for litter boxes in all public restrooms? Does a 50-something y/o man not have the right to date a 13 y/o girl because he is 'transageist' 14 y/o trapped in a 50-something body? Or a polygamist who believes he cannot be with one woman, or feels he is so special that his line must be continued?

I find the unequal application of the 14th amendment by liberals hilariously hypocritical, and they can never answer me when I pose the question.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 05:55:41 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.