Author Topic: Mitch McConnell: 'Zero chance' US fails to raise the debt ceiling  (Read 1015 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Monday insisted the U.S. government will raise the debt ceiling and avoid defaulting on its debt.

"There is zero chance — no chance — we won't raise the debt ceiling. No chance," McConnell said at an event in Kentucky with Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin. "America's not going to default. And we'll get the job done in conjunction with the secretary of the Treasury."

Mnuchin has called for Congress to pass a bill to increase the borrowing limit by the end of September. By then, the Treasury will have exhausted its so-called extraordinary measures to continue its borrowing authority and risks defaulting on its debt.

Continued - https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/21/mitch-mcconnell-zero-chance-us-fails-to-raise-the-debt-ceiling.html

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Mitch McConnell: 'Zero chance' US fails to raise the debt ceiling
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 01:18:22 am »
So much awesome.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 01:35:25 am »
   Didn't he say the same thing about Repeal and Replace?  This guy has no credibility.   He's probably right about this though, I can't see the GOP not raising the ceiling.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 01:35:53 am by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 03:24:34 am »
Weimar cannot hold a candle to our printing money out of thin air.

Man, what is coming is going to hurt like nothing any nation has ever felt before.

There may not be much of a remnant of this country left by the time the consequences of what the State and this people have done are spent.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 03:40:27 am »
The mistake Trump made was in believing the lie. He believed that Republicans are Republicans and that Democrats are Democrats. It doesn't exist.

They are all the same people and all they care about is themselves and getting rich.

People used to say 20 years ago that we are becoming a Banana Republic, in sort of an offhand way. But it has become real.

Washington D.C. makes the mafia look like goombas. These guys are some serious criminals. And they have control of a whole country to pillage.

How much do you want to bet that when crap hits the fan, all of the American Congress will run away to some villa some where and just watch it burn. They will simply run away like the weasel little cowards they are.

I don't know what happened to these people to make them like that. But I sincerely thank God that it is not me. No matter how much money these guys steal, I could never do it. I could never live that way. 
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 03:44:08 am »
The mistake Trump made was in believing the lie. He believed that Republicans are Republicans and that Democrats are Democrats. It doesn't exist.

The ease with which he switched parties back and forth makes me think this is not really the case.

The rest I agree with.  I think most of them are making their deals, making money any way they can and have a secure exit strategy.

Offline CSM

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 12:24:08 pm »
I'm getting tired of all this winning!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 01:35:23 pm »
Weimar cannot hold a candle to our printing money out of thin air.

Man, what is coming is going to hurt like nothing any nation has ever felt before.

There may not be much of a remnant of this country left by the time the consequences of what the State and this people have done are spent.

And you notice how no one talks about the ruinous effect that QE has had on the economy...or what will happen if Trump decides to stop artificially pumping up the stock market?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 04:58:13 pm »
"There is zero chance — no chance — we won't raise the debt ceiling. No chance," McConnell said at an event in Kentucky.

And for as long as you remain Senate Majority/Minority Leader, that will continue to hold true.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 05:13:03 pm »
And you notice how no one talks about the ruinous effect that QE has had on the economy...or what will happen if Trump decides to stop artificially pumping up the stock market?

It's not Trump's decision, it's the Fed's.  And they've already announced their plan to start drawing down their balance sheet.

Personally, I think they coyote is already off the cliff, he just hasn't looked down yet.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 05:16:40 pm »
Kick that can down the road Mitch! Kick it hard! Keep those Congressional perks going!
The Republic is lost.

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 05:16:43 pm »
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Monday insisted the U.S. government will raise the debt ceiling and avoid defaulting on its debt.

"There is zero chance — no chance — we won't raise the debt ceiling. No chance," McConnell said at an event in Kentucky with Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin. "America's not going to default. And we'll get the job done in conjunction with the secretary of the Treasury."

I agree that there is zero chance of EITHER of these things happening, but they are not related.  Even if they didn't raise the debt "ceiling", there's no way they'd default -- and there's no reason they'd have to.  It's a scare tactic, like how they always cry about schools and cops when they want more money.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 05:33:57 pm »
It's not Trump's decision, it's the Fed's.  And they've already announced their plan to start drawing down their balance sheet.

Can't the President tell the chairman of the fed to stop doing QE?  I mean it was a scheme concocted in large part with the help of the last President and the Fed chair.

At the very least get the SecTreas involved to try and put an end to it.

Personally, I think they coyote is already off the cliff, he just hasn't looked down yet.

I'm afraid you're right.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 05:34:20 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 06:40:03 pm »
Can't the President tell the chairman of the fed to stop doing QE?  I mean it was a scheme concocted in large part with the help of the last President and the Fed chair.

At the very least get the SecTreas involved to try and put an end to it.

I'm afraid you're right.

He can tell her.  And she can tell him to pound sand.  His authority pretty much ends with appointing board members.

Technically (and supposedly, I don't trust central bankers much) QE ended a couple of years ago.  What they have announced is that they are going to start selling off the 4.something trillion in assets they purchased during QE, by selling 10billion the first month, 20 the next, then 30, etc.  I also read that they are planning to do this by not rolling over existing debt (non-federal one would assume, can't stop that), which sounds like a huge clue as to what gets hit first to me.

I just noticed something interesting.  If you look at any of the data, we're clearly in a bubble.  Pretty much no one is arguing otherwise, but everyone is in because they don't want to miss out on gains on the way up.  Understandable, I chickened out a while back and have missed some serious gains.  The thing is, this time, I haven't heard anyone say "this time is different".  So, if this time is different because no one is saying "this time is different", is this time really different?

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 06:52:56 pm »

It's not Trump's decision, it's the Fed's.

One must first acknowledge QE for what it is.   It has absolutely positively nothing to do with pumping up the economy.  It's sole purpose for the last eight years has been to finance government by printing up new money.  And it may have started with the last President and Fed chair, and even more importantly, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid.  But after just two years, John Boehner and Mitch McConnell took over those roles and continued to accept freshly minted cash from the Fed instead of borrowing already existing dollars on the open market, thus creating an economic impossibility of inflation outpacing interest rates.

Boehner and McConnell would later make the problem even worse by suspending the [fake] debt ceiling, and allowing the President to spend whatever he wanted to spend out of this new money.  In my harsh opinion, it was high treason.

And that brings us to today.  Government continues to spend close to $1 trillion more than it takes in.  And it continues to make up the difference through new money issued from the Fed instead of raising money the old-fashioned way - by selling Treasury notes.  (Which is why interest rates remain artificially low).

So what can Trump do?  First and foremost, he can push for a balanced budget.  He could reduce federal spending to 18% of GDP.  He could put an end to baseline budgeting.  And he could push for a flat tax so that every working American becomes vested in what our Treasury does.

Our national debt is the single most destructive force to the future of our country.  If we continue down our current path, then the day will come when Saudi Arabia and other oil producing nations will declare that they will no longer accept US dollars for oil, choosing instead Swiss Francs, British pounds, or even worse, Chinese Yuan.  And when that day comes, Americans will learn just how worthless all that newly-printed money really is.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 07:19:56 pm »
He can tell her.  And she can tell him to pound sand.  His authority pretty much ends with appointing board members.

Technically (and supposedly, I don't trust central bankers much) QE ended a couple of years ago.  What they have announced is that they are going to start selling off the 4.something trillion in assets they purchased during QE, by selling 10billion the first month, 20 the next, then 30, etc.  I also read that they are planning to do this by not rolling over existing debt (non-federal one would assume, can't stop that), which sounds like a huge clue as to what gets hit first to me.

Seems to me the Fed is holding a large paper bag full of dog poop and it's been lit on fire and they don't know how to get rid of it.

I just noticed something interesting.  If you look at any of the data, we're clearly in a bubble.  Pretty much no one is arguing otherwise, but everyone is in because they don't want to miss out on gains on the way up.  Understandable, I chickened out a while back and have missed some serious gains.  The thing is, this time, I haven't heard anyone say "this time is different".  So, if this time is different because no one is saying "this time is different", is this time really different?

Seems like going back to the tech bubble everyone has been claiming the next one will be different LOL!

I just hope I can make enough in my TSP (military 401K) before the bubble bursts that I can move any gains I make playing the markets right now back into bonds.

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 07:59:34 pm »
Seems to me the Fed is holding a large paper bag full of dog poop and it's been lit on fire and they don't know how to get rid of it.

Seems like going back to the tech bubble everyone has been claiming the next one will be different LOL!

I just hope I can make enough in my TSP (military 401K) before the bubble bursts that I can move any gains I make playing the markets right now back into bonds.

A lot of it is poop.  That was the purpose of TARP, to take the toxic assets off the banks' balance sheets and park them somewhere they could "live" more or less indefinitely while making the banks (look?) solvent.  And a lot is just stuff they bought to try to juice the economy.

If you read the book "This Time is Different" (I don't recommend it, it's really dry stuff), they've been saying that every time for centuries, and every time it blows up in pretty much the same way.

I wish you the best on your retirement plan.  As I mentioned, I had to get (chickened) out.  I hope you time things perfectly.  But... BONDS? I hope you're careful, and know more than I do.  I need to learn a lot more about bonds, particularly the difference between buying funds vs individual bonds you can hold to maturity.  The one thing I do know is that conditions are near perfect to get slaughtered by making the wrong choice.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 08:08:54 pm »
I wish you the best on your retirement plan.  As I mentioned, I had to get (chickened) out.  I hope you time things perfectly.  But... BONDS? I hope you're careful, and know more than I do.  I need to learn a lot more about bonds, particularly the difference between buying funds vs individual bonds you can hold to maturity.  The one thing I do know is that conditions are near perfect to get slaughtered by making the wrong choice.

I'm moving very slowly.  In the various funds they offer us and allow us to move our money around in Bonds end up the safest choice.  They call it the G Fund.

Right now I've got some left in there but I'm taking a chance and putting some of it into the market to try and increase my nest egg before I hit 20 in May.

I'm just hoping I'll be the windshield instead of the bug LOL!

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2017, 07:36:28 pm »

Okay, they've said it's coming soon.  And they don't think it'll hurt much as the markets already have their move priced in.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/monetarypolicy/fomcminutes20170726.htm

"Members agreed that, at this meeting, the Committee should further clarify the time at which it expected to begin its program for reducing its securities holdings in a gradual and predictable manner. They updated the postmeeting statement to indicate that while the Committee was, for the time being, maintaining its existing reinvestment policy, it intended to begin implementing the balance sheet normalization program relatively soon, provided that the economy evolved broadly as anticipated. Several members observed that, in part because of the Committee's various communications regarding the change, any reaction in financial markets to such a change would likely be limited."

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775