Author Topic: Trump’s ‘America First’ Base Unhappy with Flip-Flop Afghanistan Speech (Breitbart)  (Read 1564 times)

BassWrangler

We generally agree 99% here, but DJT very clearly said that W style Nation Building was out for good, and that  we were only there to kill terrorist, and protect shared interest.

Here is what I posted on another thread.  And remember, I am generally 75% critical of Trump.

My takeaways......

1. I give Trump 4 1/2 stars on this one.  Maybe his best yet

2. The first third, it seemed he was almost channeling Reagan.  (Can't believe I said it)

3. Re: India alignment (almost full blown allying) will have some interesting ireprecussions as we deal with China, and Pakistan.

4. Seemed a tad light on specifics on particular details in Afganistan.  Which is understandable considering he states that we will not advertise our intentions.

5. Surprised no mention at all of NK.

6.  If anyone in the military had any doubts whether DJT has their back, it was answered tonight.  Frame this speech versus how the former turd POTUS treated them

@catfish1957

Great post. I haven't had a chance to listen to the speech yet, and i admit to coming into this discussion with the operating opinion that we were in a no win situation in Afghanistan.

But i like the increased alliance with India. i never did understand why we were allies with those goat humpers in  Pakistan, but not with a country with whom we do so much business and whose people share a lot of western values. i also believe that they will be a strong ally with us against China.

And i believe we have really tied the hands of our military in Afghanistan with overly restrictive ROE and this nation-building crap. Let's see what they can do it we unleash them and let them just kick the stew out of the goat humpers. I am still skeptical ; Russia didn't have ROE issues or nation building when they were there, and they ended up leaving with their tail between their legs. But I respect Mathis, so let's see.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 04:07:12 pm by BassWrangler »

Offline Hoodat

i never did understand why we were allies with those goat humpers in  Pakistan, but not with a country with whom we do so much business and whose people share a lot of western values.

Nor do my Indian colleagues, the overwhelming majority of which hate the Democrat Party.  But our support of Pakistan is by far their biggest complaint.

My response is always the same:  You never should have listened to the US when you were fighting over Kashmir.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-