Author Topic: Trump Administration Moves to Expand Deportation Dragnet to Jails  (Read 457 times)

rangerrebew

Trump Administration Moves to Expand Deportation Dragnet to Jails

By CAITLIN DICKERSONAUG. 21, 2017

The Trump administration is working with like-minded sheriffs from around the country on a plan to channel illegal immigrants from local jails into federal detention, according to several sheriffs involved in the discussions. If it succeeds, it could vastly expand the dragnet that has already begun to transform immigration enforcement in the United States.

The plan is intended to circumvent court decisions that have thus far limited the role of local law enforcement in immigration. It involves a legal move regarding detainers, which are requests by Immigration and Customs Enforcement to local sheriffs or police departments to hold people who are suspected of being in the country illegally, even after they have posted bail, finished their jail sentence or otherwise resolved their criminal cases.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/us/sheriffs-immigration-jails.html?partner=rss&emc=rss
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 12:04:52 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Polly Ticks

Re: Trump Administration Moves to Expand Deportation Dragnet to Jails
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 01:13:00 pm »
Under the proposed legal tactic, ICE and the sheriff would sign a contract that pays the sheriff’s department a daily fee to hold the immigrant until ICE can take the person into custody. The legal argument is that the arrangement effectively makes the immigrant a detainee of ICE, not the sheriff’s department, and allows the sheriff to hold the person on a noncriminal charge.

I like this plan.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Trump Administration Moves to Expand Deportation Dragnet to Jails
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 03:28:16 pm »
I like this plan.

Me too, and it's an added inducement to law enforcement.