Author Topic: ALERT! Do NOT shoot the eclipse without the right camera equipment  (Read 640 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Posting as a thread on its own versus live thread to make sure everyone sees this and doesn't take a chance photographing the eclipse.

In just a few hours, the US will experiencing a historic astronomical event. And in this digital age, that usually means a lot of people will try to preserve it by snapping up photos and videos of this once in a lifetime total solar eclipse. But before you go reaching for your smartphone or slotting a memory card into you digital camera, pause for a few seconds and consider how much you value your equipment. Because if you do, you will ABSOLUTELY NOT use them to shoot the eclipse. Unless you actually have the right filters and accessories to keep them from burning up........

https://www.slashgear.com/do-not-shoot-the-eclipse-without-the-right-camera-equipment-21495919/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: ALERT! Do NOT shoot the eclipse without the right camera equipment
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 05:10:35 pm »
Posting as a thread on its own versus live thread to make sure everyone sees this and doesn't take a chance photographing the eclipse.

Thanks for this.  I had a couple friends asking about using their "selfie" cameras on Bookface, so I copied your post there over to them telling them not to do it.  It's good having a pro in my circle of friends.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline ABX

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 05:16:04 pm »
Thanks for this.  I had a couple friends asking about using their "selfie" cameras on Bookface, so I copied your post there over to them telling them not to do it.  It's good having a pro in my circle of friends.

If I wasn't on a conference call, I wouldn't take a chance of ruining a $4K DSLR for something I can watch on YouTube later. I counted up all my ND filters and I can only sandwich them up about 8 stops, far less than what is safe for a camera. Some friends bought welding mask glass which should work very well. If I thought about it, I should have done that.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 05:23:04 pm »
I'm kicking myself, I forgot i had an auto-darkening welding helmet.

If I actually cared about the eclipse I'd be kicking myself harder.

Offline ABX

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 05:28:47 pm »
I'm kicking myself, I forgot i had an auto-darkening welding helmet.

If I actually cared about the eclipse I'd be kicking myself harder.

The hysteria is funny. I have CBS on muted and they were like... oh wow, it got dark and cooler.. ooooo... ahhhhh... It reminded me of Hillary looking at balloons.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 05:36:56 pm »
If I wasn't on a conference call, I wouldn't take a chance of ruining a $4K DSLR for something I can watch on YouTube later. I counted up all my ND filters and I can only sandwich them up about 8 stops, far less than what is safe for a camera. Some friends bought welding mask glass which should work very well. If I thought about it, I should have done that.

Back in High School Photo Club I had a friend accidentally burn a hole in a SLR shutter.  Fortunately it was very small and easily fixed, but it was a learning experience.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 05:43:12 pm »
The hysteria is funny. I have CBS on muted and they were like... oh wow, it got dark and cooler.. ooooo... ahhhhh... It reminded me of Hillary looking at balloons.

:rolling:

LOL.  That gif will never stop being funny!
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra