Author Topic: GOP Congressman Says His Constituents Want Them to Unite to Get Trump Agenda Accomplished  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

GOP Congressman Says His Constituents Want Them to Unite to Get Trump Agenda Accomplished
CNS News, Aug 18, 2017, Melanie Arter

(CNSNews.com) - Rep. Sean Duffy (R-Wis.) told Fox News on Thursday that his constituents want the GOP to rally behind President Donald Trump and move forward with his agenda, because that’s why they voted for the president.

“This is about people like from my district, who swung 20 points for Donald Trump and helped him win Wisconsin. It’s people at my town hall who go, ‘listen, President Trump’s imperfect, and yeah, I see why people are frustrated with him, but in the end, the things he’s talking about - reducing regulation and the Trump agenda is what’s going to help my family out. Please help support him. You guys gotta find a way to come together and get the agenda accomplished, because it’s all about my family and my prosperity,’” Duffy said.

<snip>

Duffy said his constituents are his boss, and that when people on both sides of the aisle are angry at you, it “really shakes them in their boots.”

“And that’s what everyone looks at - like, can I get re-elected. My boss is my constituents in central northern Wisconsin or senator has the whole state,” he said.

“When people are that angry, that really shakes a politician, and it’s one thing for a Republican to have the left mad at you, but when you come home and the right is angry at you - the people who have helped you since the very beginning - that really shakes them in their boots, which is what I think gets them really motivated to get something done,” Duffy said.

More: http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/melanie-arter/

Offline Right_in_Virginia

It appears the voters are awake and paying attention. 

Now if only the same could be said about another Congressman from Wisconsin. 

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 07:44:23 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline bilo

I'm not to hopeful.

Repealing obamacare was the biggest thing for me. I don't see the Pubs doing what they promised they would do. I will never forgive them for this lie.

I think the Pubs have moved beyond caring what the voters think. They seem to believe that in their gerrymandered districts they will be re-elected no matter what. Who knows they might be right. It's clear the Pub establishment won't support Pres. Trump and Pres. Trump hasn't made them suffer because they won't back him.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Oceander

:bigsilly:

Offline kevindavis007

The House did pass an Obamacare repeal and Trump said it was mean... Member???
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Good for him and his constituents.

I have a different congressman with a different constituency.

Federalism - Any questions?

Offline kevindavis007

Yep..  Each congressman has a different constituency. I think a lot of people tend to forget that a lot GOP congressman come from purple districts or districts that Hillary won.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Cripplecreek

Yep..  Each congressman has a different constituency. I think a lot of people tend to forget that a lot GOP congressman come from purple districts or districts that Hillary won.

Realities on the ground aren't the same from district to district. `Here in Jackson County Mi the prison used to be the single largest employer in the county. Today the largest employers is The Henry Ford Allegiance health care system with more than 40 buildings in this county alone. You can't just breathe fire and brimstone about destroying Obamacare without very solid plans to replace it while keeping thousands employed unless you don't care about handing the seat over to the democrats.

Oceander

Realities on the ground aren't the same from district to district. `Here in Jackson County Mi the prison used to be the single largest employer in the county. Today the largest employers is The Henry Ford Allegiance health care system with more than 40 buildings in this county alone. You can't just breathe fire and brimstone about destroying Obamacare without very solid plans to replace it while keeping thousands employed unless you don't care about handing the seat over to the democrats.

Blasphemy!  How dare you insult the Prophet Trump in that manner.  Trump akhbar.

Online Hoodat

I'm not too hopeful.

Repealing obamacare was the biggest thing for me. I don't see the Pubs doing what they promised they would do. I will never forgive them for this lie

Ending baseline budgeting is the biggest thing for me.  If Republicans can't even do that, then they are no better than Democrats.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline bilo

The House did pass an Obamacare repeal and Trump said it was mean... Member???

Don't you remember Pubs running for office for 7 years (6 years before Trump was a candidate) saying they would repeal obamacare? The bill they passed in the House wasn't even close to repeal.

Offline bilo

Then why are they in a party and why do they claim they will support the party platform?

The Pubs can hide behind any excuse they want. It won't change the fact that they are liars and cheats.

Offline bilo

Ending baseline budgeting is the biggest thing for me.  If Republicans can't even do that, then they are no better than Democrats.

I have no confidence in them for anything other than lying to the public about what they will do. Pres. Trump is an easy target for the "go along get along" crowd. The truth is as inept as he is as a legislator he would have signed anything they put in front of him. It's the "experienced" legislators who failed us.

Offline kevindavis007

Don't you remember Pubs running for office for 7 years (6 years before Trump was a candidate) saying they would repeal obamacare? The bill they passed in the House wasn't even close to repeal.

I think you need learn Civics 101.

Offline Cripplecreek

Then why are they in a party and why do they claim they will support the party platform?

The Pubs can hide behind any excuse they want. It won't change the fact that they are liars and cheats.

Better a "liar and cheat" than a top down big government toadie waiting for orders from on high.

Offline bilo

I think you need learn Civics 101.

I think you should see a Dr. your memory isn't all that good.

Offline Rivergirl

Day one.   Trump has the congressman to the Rose Garden for an O care celebration.
Day two.  Trump backstabs the same congressmen calling their plan MEAN.

Offline bilo

Better a "liar and cheat" than a top down big government toadie waiting for orders from on high.

If that makes it easier to accept being played for a fool I guess that's a good approach. I don't like liars and cheats and I learned a long time ago in business to never do business with someone who can't be trusted. The Pubs have made it clear that they are liars and cheats and I have no intention of supporting them again.

Offline Fantom

That is so down in the weeds only 50% here even know what you are talking about...... not that you are wrong, that would be a good start.

But the schmucks ..both parties have to get re-elected.

I am afraid we will have to grow ourselves out of the immediate fiscal trouble. That means...the Trump agenda...more or less.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline kevindavis007

If that makes it easier to accept being played for a fool I guess that's a good approach. I don't like liars and cheats and I learned a long time ago in business to never do business with someone who can't be trusted. The Pubs have made it clear that they are liars and cheats and I have no intention of supporting them again.

So you are going to either sit at home and the let dem win or vote 3rd party correct?

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Healthcare/insurance is one of the biggest scams ever produced in this country.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bilo

So you are going to either sit at home and the let dem win or vote 3rd party correct?

You know the only other argument the Pub party establishment types have is "what about the judges". Neither plea is of any value to me. I will give campaign dollars to conservatives. I will vote for conservatives. If there aren't any on the ballot I won't vote for the Pub.

If the Pub party doesn't feel any consequences for being liars and cheats then there is no reason for them to change.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
The dems are winning now.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
That is so down in the weeds only 50% here even know what you are talking about...... not that you are wrong, that would be a good start.

But the schmucks ..both parties have to get re-elected.

I am afraid we will have to grow ourselves out of the immediate fiscal trouble. That means...the Trump agenda...more or less.

I think that would work if people would give up having hysterics for a few months.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Applewood

You know the only other argument the Pub party establishment types have is "what about the judges". Neither plea is of any value to me. I will give campaign dollars to conservatives. I will vote for conservatives. If there aren't any on the ballot I won't vote for the Pub.

If the Pub party doesn't feel any consequences for being liars and cheats then there is no reason for them to change.

I refuse to vote for the Republican to "save us" from the Democrat.  IMO, there is no difference anymore.  The Republicans are systematically throwing out anyone who is conservative and installing more and more liberals. I will never vote for a liberal.

The only way Republicans might change is if the party loses both houses and the presidency.  And that scenario appears more and more likely every day.  Instead of pointing fingers at conservatives, maybe the party should get a clue and return to its roots.  Unfortunately, with idiots like McConnell and Ryan at the helm, that isn't likely.