Author Topic: NASA to Stop a Doomsday Supervolcano by Stealing its Heat  (Read 9575 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: NASA to Stop a Doomsday Supervolcano by Stealing its Heat
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 03:35:27 pm »
There is more to this. They will need water. Constantly. I'd like to see the studies on where and how that water will be supplied. Another thing is I presume this setup will be on the western side of the Park. From the way the wind blows, the environmental impact, even and/or however slight, on the Park, will probably set some bees to buzzing.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2017, 03:38:22 pm »
Related experience perhaps:

Iceland drills hottest hole to tap into energy of molten magma
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2109872-iceland-drills-hottest-hole-to-tap-into-energy-of-molten-magma/
21 October 2016

Drilling into hot rocks to tap geothermal energy is one thing. Drilling deep enough to tap the energy from magma oozing into volcanoes is quite another, offering a massive increase in the potential to exploit Earth’s inner heat.

That is the task of a rig now drilling 5 kilometres into the rugged landscape of old lava flows in Reykjanes, at the south-west corner of Iceland. Drilling began on 12 August.

By the end of the year, the Iceland Deep Drilling Project (IDDP) hopes to have created the hottest hole in the world, hitting temperatures anywhere between 400 and 1000 °C.

- - - - - - -

The drilling of the Iceland Deep Drilling Project geothermal well at Reykjanes has been successfully completed.
https://iddp.is/
Feb 1, 2017

A significant milestone has been reached in the Iceland Deep Drilling Project at the Reykjanes Peninsula in Iceland when drilling of the IDDP-2 well was completed on  the 25th of January at 4,659 meters depth. All of the initial targets were reached.  These targets were to drill deep, extract drill cores, measure the temperature and search for permeability. Temperature at the bottom of the well has already been measured at 427°C, with fluid pressure of 340 bars, drill cores were retrieved, and the rocks appear to be permeable at depth. It´s clear that the bottom of the well reached fluids at supercritical conditions, so that the main drilling phase objective of the project has been achieved.  The drilling operation took 176 days since we began the drilling operation 11th August 2016.

800°F = 427°C

According to Al Gore the temp at the center of the earth is like a million degrees.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 03:39:08 pm »
There is more to this. They will need water. Constantly. I'd like to see the studies on where and how that water will be supplied. Another thing is I presume this setup will be on the western side of the Park. From the way the wind blows, the environmental impact, even and/or however slight, on the Park, will probably set some bees to buzzing.

It could go poorly for trespassing California tourists.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline thackney

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2017, 03:39:29 pm »

While they will need water, it can be a closed loop system that does not constantly consume water.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2017, 03:44:22 pm »
It's actually an interesting article/discussion ... but the headline just screams "Comic Book".

And my personal Supervillain Name (http://supervillain.namegeneratorfun.com/) almost fits rights in.

That's cute.  Not so sure about mine:

Phantom The Living Planet

You were a pop star with a successful career until a rival had you murdered! Now you have risen from the grave to exact vengeance upon your killer, and all who dared not to appreciate your genius! Transformation into Mist – You can change yourself into a mist-like form at will, enabling you to pass through any barrier!
and...
Planetary Avatar – You have the ability to tap into the Gaia Worldspirit and let loose the forces locked within the molten core of the planet! Now, with the aid of your trusty henchman Hatchet-Face and your army of tame vampires, you bring terror and chaos to the streets of Delhi!

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2017, 03:59:25 pm »
That's cute.  Not so sure about mine:

Are you kidding??

You have the ability to tap into the Gaia Worldspirit and let loose the forces locked within the molten core of the planet!

Yours is way more topic-appropriate than mine.  Although I also notice that you appear to have stolen my henchman ...  what villainous villainy is this?
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2017, 04:10:32 pm »
While they will need water, it can be a closed loop system that does not constantly consume water.
I've said this before, but even if a closed loop, my experience with geothermal wells and projects is that the water returning is so full of contaminants such as heavy metals, its removal and safe disposal is a paramount venture.

For 'scientists' to intentionally create a lot of this tainted water stretches the mind on what value is being created.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2017, 04:12:23 pm »
Am also musing what happens when 100% of that water pumped in does not return.

Seems a steam chest will be building up to accelerate the timing of the next Yellowstone cataclysm.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2017, 04:58:04 pm »
Are you kidding??

Yours is way more topic-appropriate than mine.  Although I also notice that you appear to have stolen my henchman ...  what villainous villainy is this?
I think the henchmen are moonlighting...
The Doctor Of Nightmares
You were a fictional character, a villain from a comic book – until a disruption in reality catapulted you into reality! Now, you find yourself in a world with far more possibilities for cruelty and violence than you could have ever dreamed of! Nothing in the world can stop you now! Dream Control – You have the power to enter, explore, manipulate, and control your own or anybody else's dreams! Now, with the aid of your trusty henchman Hatchet-Face and your army of worrying clowns, you bring terror and chaos to the streets of Cherryville!

That Hatchet-Face gets around....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2017, 05:00:27 pm »
I've said this before, but even if a closed loop, my experience with geothermal wells and projects is that the water returning is so full of contaminants such as heavy metals, its removal and safe disposal is a paramount venture.

For 'scientists' to intentionally create a lot of this tainted water stretches the mind on what value is being created.
I guess the question for the chemists is one of whether or not those contaminants have potential commercial value, as a byproduct, and whether they can be removed economically. (Like removing copper from the water at Anaconda).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2017, 05:03:28 pm »

Geothermal exists in a lot of places and has for a lot of years.  I find it hard to believe this is project stopping issue.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2017, 05:04:22 pm »

The problem with geothermal power is the minerals in the water. If you use a direct cycle, the flash boilers and turbines eventually get clogged up with mineral deposits and have to be taken down to either clean or replace (those mineral are also highly corrosive). In an indirect cycle, the primary side of the steam generators also get clogged up pretty fast. The heat may be cheap, but the capital costs and maintenance costs are much higher than a nuke plant per kW.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2017, 05:07:01 pm »
I think the henchmen are moonlighting...

LOL.  @Polly Ticks that's a fun site.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2017, 05:08:48 pm »
Geothermal exists in a lot of places and has for a lot of years.  I find it hard to believe this is project stopping issue.
Around Yellowstone? Don't be so sure. The New World Gold project mine was shut down and it was three valleys away. It's as if there is a 100 mile scenic buffer zone around the whole thing. Don't want the tourists in runamuckas to see that people actually dig stuff out of the ground for a living.

C S Lewis

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2017, 05:47:17 pm »

He sure does.  He must be more of a contract henchman than a dedicated henchman.
Either that, or he's working the triple-double-cross.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2017, 06:11:18 pm »
Around Yellowstone? Don't be so sure. The New World Gold project mine was shut down and it was three valleys away. It's as if there is a 100 mile scenic buffer zone around the whole thing. Don't want the tourists in runamuckas to see that people actually dig stuff out of the ground for a living.

Was it because it was "an eyesore" or was it because somebody was "making a buck" in/near a National Park?  We have whole forests off limits to timber harvest for no better reason than to stop anybody from making a buck.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2017, 06:53:36 pm »
Was it because it was "an eyesore" or was it because somebody was "making a buck" in/near a National Park?  We have whole forests off limits to timber harvest for no better reason than to stop anybody from making a buck.
It wasn't even in sight of any part of the park, just the approach highways (maybe). Typical of any project that might involve scratching Gaia's back, the greenies were out in force, ignoring the previous gold rushes in Montana's history, which is intertwined with mining ventures from coal and copper to gold and platinum.

C S Lewis

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2017, 07:02:32 pm »
The places where geothermal has occurred is for a commercial venture, incorporating the disposal of the tainted water.

The venture being proposed is scientific, not commercial.

Offline thackney

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2017, 07:04:25 pm »
The places where geothermal has occurred is for a commercial venture, incorporating the disposal of the tainted water.

The venture being proposed is scientific, not commercial.

So since it is likely government (taxpayer) funded, the cost of disposal of tainted water isn't likely to be an issue to stop the project.  There may plenty of other issues to stop the project.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 07:04:44 pm by thackney »

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2017, 07:04:51 pm »
The problem with geothermal power is the minerals in the water. If you use a direct cycle, the flash boilers and turbines eventually get clogged up with mineral deposits and have to be taken down to either clean or replace (those mineral are also highly corrosive). In an indirect cycle, the primary side of the steam generators also get clogged up pretty fast. The heat may be cheap, but the capital costs and maintenance costs are much higher than a nuke plant per kW.
That was my experiences as well.

Making contact with magma or superheated volcanic rock produces some of the nastiest stuff you can imagine.

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2017, 07:08:06 pm »
So since it is likely government (taxpayer) funded, the cost of disposal of tainted water isn't likely to be an issue to stop the project.  There may plenty of other issues to stop the project.
We are living in an alternate reality if that makes no difference.

In both cases, we are paying for it.  One is voluntary, one is involuntary.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2017, 07:11:50 pm »

How does that work with residential applications?  We briefly looked at geothermal when we built our house a few years ago, but it ended up being too cost-prohibitive.  I don't recall any info on waste-water disposal, though.

Offline thackney

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2017, 07:12:03 pm »
We are living in an alternate reality if that makes no difference.

In both cases, we are paying for it.  One is voluntary, one is involuntary.

Please don't misunderstand me, I am NOT saying it SHOULD make no difference.

I recognize the reality of the "save the earth" mentality that would drive such a project.  In that perspective, if it is remotely economically feasible in commercial applications, it is not a show stopper for such a government project.

Offline thackney

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2017, 07:13:00 pm »
How does that work with residential applications?  We briefly looked at geothermal when we built our house a few years ago, but it ended up being too cost-prohibitive.  I don't recall any info on waste-water disposal, though.

A residential sized unit would not be approaching magma depths.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2017, 07:15:29 pm »
A residential sized unit would not be approaching magma depths.

Ok, that makes sense.  So the whole waste-water issue is only pertinent to the magma.  Thanks for the explanation!