Author Topic: Health Buzz: Thousands of People Could Lose Vision Because of the Eclipse, Expert Warns  (Read 709 times)

rangerrebew

Health Buzz: Thousands of People Could Lose Vision Because of the Eclipse, Expert Warns
Don't stare at the sun without proper eye protection.

By David Oliver , Associate Editor, Social Media | Aug. 18, 2017, at 3:19 p.m.

Anyone who stares at the sun would get a blind spot in their vision right away though they wouldn't know until hours later or the next day that the blind spot was still there. (Louisa Gouliamaki/AFP/Getty Images)

Monday's solar eclipse could cause thousands of people to lose vision if they don't take the proper precautions, one expert warns.

Unless you're living under a very large and heavy rock, you probably know that a solar eclipse is coming Monday. It's the first coast-to-coast solar eclipse in close to a century. But you probably don't know all the damage it could do to your eyes if you look directly at it without proper eyewear.

Offline Applewood

Local TV stations here are talking about the Eclipse 24/7 and issuing grave warnings about the danger of looking at the sun with the naked eye.  The local planetarium is having an event for kids. They can watch the Eclipse with some huge telescope thing. 

We are supposed to see about 81% coverage of the sun here according to the experts.  Our weather is supposed to be clear to partly cloudy, which will be good for viewing with the right equipment.  This is unusual here because for most lunar and solar eclipses, the weather doesn't cooperate.  The last time we had a good day for the solar eclipse was when I was a little kid.I remember back then, local channels had live coverage. Eclipses, like the NASA voyages, were a big deal in those days.

Wingnut

https://www.facebook.com/DeptofDefense/videos/vb.114648515718/10155701198915719/?type=2&theater

U.S. Department of Defense (DoD)
August 18 at 2:00pm ·
Monday will be the first time a total #solareclipse has been visible in the continental U.S. in nearly 40 years! If you’re planning to watch, here are some important tips on what you should and shouldn’t do.

Offline Applewood

I think we missed the total eclipse in the 70s, probably because of bad weather.  The one I remember was maybe late 50s or during the 60s.