Author Topic: Huckabee: Leave Monument Decisions Up to Local Governments  (Read 575 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Huckabee: Leave Monument Decisions Up to Local Governments
« on: August 18, 2017, 02:26:15 pm »
Huckabee: Leave Monument Decisions Up to Local Governments
(Fox News)
By Joe Crowe   |   Thursday, 17 Aug 2017 02:40 PM

Mike Huckabee, the former Arkansas governor, said that local governments should be allowed to make the final decisions on whether to keep Confederate monuments.

"I would trust the people who live in a community to make the decision for themselves whether a particular statue or monument is offensive. And if it is, then they should take it down, but if the people in that community don't think so, then they should leave it," the Republican former governor said.

Huckabee rejected protesters tearing down the statues that they take issue with.

"What we can't do, Bill, is have anarchists go and tear down the statues because they're impatient with having politicians doing it. That's not acceptable behavior. It's vandalism," Huckabee said Thursday to Fox News host Bill Hemmer on Fox News' "America's Newsroom."

Continued: http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/mike-huckabee-confederate-monuments-local-government/2017/08/17/id/808245/

Also:

Mike Huckabee: If They Tear Down Memorials They Find Offensive Can We Tear Down Abortion Clinics?
Opinion   Micaiah Bilger   Aug 17, 2017   |   4:45PM    Washington, DC

Reacting to growing racial tension culminating in the tearing down of United States monuments, pro-life former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee asked people to think about society’s reaction if he began tearing down things that offend him – like abortion clinics.

http://www.lifenews.com/2017/08/17/mike-huckabee-if-they-tear-down-memorials-they-find-offensive-can-we-tear-down-abortion-clinics/

Offline dfwgator

Re: Huckabee: Leave Monument Decisions Up to Local Governments
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 02:35:45 pm »
 :amen:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 03:03:10 pm »
Also:

Welp, that means a lot of these monuments will be torn down. The reason is that a lot of them were built in cities in the south: islands of "blue" surrounded by "red".

Offline TomSea

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 03:06:09 pm »
Welp, that means a lot of these monuments will be torn down. The reason is that a lot of them were built in cities in the south: islands of "blue" surrounded by "red".

And that is democracy, whether I like it or not.

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 03:09:32 pm »

That is a good point.

I'm not a fan of the confederacy but I find a lot of these monuments to be beautiful.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 03:18:13 pm »

Judging by the polls, I've seen, I suspect if it was put to a vote, most would vote to keep them up.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 03:32:53 pm »
Judging by the polls, I've seen, I suspect if it was put to a vote, most would vote to keep them up.

It will never be put to a vote.  A handful of activists frightening our elected officials will decide what history we will keep.

This is now our democracy, whether we like it or not.   :shrug:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 03:36:54 pm »
I'd remind Mr. Huckleberry the Mayor of Baltimore is the person who ordered the monuments in that city to be extracted.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 03:41:48 pm »
As Ted Cruz said when it came up after the Charleston church shooting, Its up to the people of south Carolina.

Anybody care to fish around to see what other candidates were saying then?  :whistle:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 03:42:57 pm »
As Ted Cruz said when it came up after the Charleston church shooting, Its up to the people of south Carolina.

Anybody care to fish around to see what other candidates were saying then?  :whistle:

John "Gooks" McCain when he was running for POTUS changed his mind every day on the subject.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 03:44:49 pm »
I'd remind Mr. Huckleberry the Mayor of Baltimore is the person who ordered the monuments in that city to be extracted.

Baltimore, a very blue city.

Still, something like that should have to go through city council or some process I would think.

What is the constituency of these cities?  Well, Democrat, we know that. I'm surprised how Maryland is such a largely Democratic party dominated state.

Memphis where Nathan Bedford Forest is buried? And for better or worse, whether it is exaggerated or not, he is a controversial figure.

And these people were Democrats almost uniformly, it sounds like.

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 03:52:51 pm »
Baltimore, a very blue city.

Still, something like that should have to go through city council or some process I would think.

What is the constituency of these cities?  Well, Democrat, we know that. I'm surprised how Maryland is such a largely Democratic party dominated state.

Memphis where Nathan Bedford Forest is buried? And for better or worse, whether it is exaggerated or not, he is a controversial figure.

And these people were Democrats almost uniformly, it sounds like.

Monuments are one thing, but digging up dead people is where I draw the line.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 09:25:05 pm »
That is a good point.

I'm not a fan of the confederacy but I find a lot of these monuments to be beautiful.
Considering the sculptors are long gone, and I see few producing art of that caliber, I can't see their destruction. Consider also, the near-universal plight of the foot soldier, regardless of when or where, too hot/too cold, tired, an often sleepless existence in close communion with the very soil which will all too eagerly drink his blood, oppressed by rain and snow and the ever present mud, establishing a fighting position only to vacate it going forward or back, with sore feet, sore backs, and an enemy to fight as well.

Any monument to any infantryman anywhere is a monument to all.

I'd wager not one of those howling to tear the monuments down have been a real combatant in uniform.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis