Author Topic: Trump resurrects tall tale about General Pershing and Muslims after Barcelona terror attack  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Caitlin Yilek
Washington Examiner
August 17, 2017

President Trump resurrected what historians believe is an urban legend about Gen. John Pershing executing dozens of Muslim prisoners with bullets dipped in pigs' blood, telling people to read up on the history after a terror attack in Barcelona, Spain, left more than a dozen people dead Thursday.

"Study what General Pershing of the United States did to terrorists when caught. There was no more Radical Islamic Terror for 35 years!" Trump tweeted after he condemned the attack and told Spain to be "tough and strong."
More

Trump tweet

Politifact: Donald Trump retells Pants on Fire claim about Gen. Pershing ending terrorism for 35 years

TruthOrFiction.com: Unproven

Snopes: False
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:44:28 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline Suppressed

Trump needs to read up on history.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Blackjack Pershing and the Moros: Or, How to Fight Islamic Insurgents
Interesting article, thanks. It puts the lie to (or at least provides cause to question) what has been a popular urban legend.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

Interesting article, thanks. It puts the lie to (or at least provides cause to question) what has been a popular urban legend.

I suspect that a lot of people at the TOS would call Pershing a wimp.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline skeeter

Caitlin Yilek
Washington Examiner
August 17, 2017
More

Trump tweet

Politifact: Donald Trump retells Pants on Fire claim about Gen. Pershing ending terrorism for 35 years

TruthOrFiction.com: Unproven

Snopes: False

Letters from soldiers who were there tell of sprinkling moro warrior bodies with pig blood and burying them with pig carcasses. Trump says nothing here about dipping bullets. He only errs in naming treatment of enemy dead as specifically a Pershing policy.

Not presidential (what else is new) but still a nothingburger.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:18:18 pm by skeeter »

Offline Victoria33

I watched a film of him talking about this at a rally.  He said the soldiers dipped the bullets in blood from the stomach of a pig, and used those bullets to shoot the 49 terrorists dead, then gave the last bloody bullet to the one remaining and told him to take the bullet back and tell them that would happen to them.  Then, there were no more terrorists for 25 years.  In the past couple of days, he now says 35 years instead of 25.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I watched a film of him talking about this at a rally.  He said the soldiers dipped the bullets in blood from the stomach of a pig, and used those bullets to shoot the 49 terrorists dead, then gave the last bloody bullet to the one remaining and told him to take the bullet back and tell them that would happen to them.  Then, there were no more terrorists for 25 years.  In the past couple of days, he now says 35 years instead of 25.

*****rollingeyes*****

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Funny thing about human nature. Everyone is geared up for a fight. When you let them swing at smoke, don't hesitate to take out the ones who really insist, but don't go actively trying to just wipe out everyone, well, the rest get to think about it. Pershing let the most aggressive spend themselves on the spear, but spared those less so. The rest is sort of a process of natural selection, although some of the aggressive ones survived to reinfect the rest, especially after memories faded of the elimination of the last batch of aggressive ones.

There is wisdom in his approach, yet it presumes people will learn something from history instead of ignore it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline The_Reader_David

Are you sure he hasn't?  Seeing that the NYTimes in 1903, Scientific American in 1904, and Pershing in his unfinished autobiography, notes for which are preserved in the Library of Congress and, thus, accessible to the public, all reported burying Muslims in a grave with a pig as an effective tactic against the Moro uprising, maybe it's Politifact, the latter-day NYTimes, and Snopes who need to read history -- from primary sources, not Howard Zinn and his ilk.

Trump himself didn't specify anything about dipping bullets in pig's blood, just advocated reading up on Pershing's counter-insurgency.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

From what I've read the muslim aversion to pigs was never really much different from the Jewish prohibition against eating pork. It only became a big deal when muslims figured out that they could be a pain in the ass over it.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Why do you care?