Author Topic: This Is What The End Of Shale Will Look Like  (Read 1356 times)

Offline thackney

This Is What The End Of Shale Will Look Like
« on: August 15, 2017, 02:21:18 pm »
This Is What The End Of Shale Will Look Like
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenrwald/2017/08/11/this-is-what-the-end-of-shale-will-look-like/#2ceabd9e5a05
AUG 11, 2017

Since approximately 2010, the arrival of shale oil on the global market has altered geopolitical power scales as well as the price of the commodity. Shale has been extracted in the last decade from fields in North America such as Permian Basin in Texas, Bakken in North Dakota and Marcellus in the northeast United Sates. In March 2016, American shale accounted for half of all U.S. oil production and produced 4.3 million barrels per day. The emergence of shale is a significant reason, if not the preeminent reason, that the price of oil dropped from $140 per barrel in 2008 (and over $100 per barrel as recently as 2014) to around $50 per barrel today. All of this is often referred to as “the Shale Revolution.”

And now we know how the Shale Revolution will end.

The Shale Revolution has a big problem. It is heavily dependent on institutional investors and lenders, and they are starting to lose interest in the business. Investment in shale has benefited from a Silicon Valley-like syndrome of focusing more on growth than profitability. But in the past similar strategies of growth-at-all-costs have led to busts. In a boom/bust industry like oil, businesses fall hard. When investors give up waiting for profits, they flee in unison, and when that happens, the Shale Revolution will end.

The crux of the issue is that the breakeven costs of shale oil production are still too high for the market. The high costs of extraction and production for shale producers is the greatest variable impacting profit. Some global oil companies can produce for very little cost. It is estimated that Saudi Aramco’s cost is between $4 and $12 per barrel. In the current market, North American shale can be produced for somewhere between $30 and $50 per barrel. When oil was priced at $80, $90 or $100 per barrel, average breakeven prices for shale were much higher, exceeding $100....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: This Is What The End Of Shale Will Look Like
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 04:43:27 pm »
Will take a look at it more closely, but right off the bat I am skeptical on its technical reliability when I read
Shale has been extracted in the last decade from fields in North America such as Permian Basin in Texas, Bakken in North Dakota and Marcellus in the northeast United Sates.

The author does not know that no one produces shale.  It stays in the ground.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 04:45:51 pm »
Now I am reading that the author is relying upon Art Berman.

No need to read further.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 04:50:17 pm »
Now I am reading that the author is relying upon Art Berman.

No need to read further.

I did notice that one.  I didn't post it because I agreed with conclusion.  But I do agree the overall shale production rates are very dependent on significant continued investment.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 05:42:10 pm »
I did notice that one.  I didn't post it because I agreed with conclusion.  But I do agree the overall shale production rates are very dependent on significant continued investment.
What conclusion is that you agree with? the last paragraph?
Essentially, shale should struggle to achieve sustained profitability, no matter the price of oil.

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 05:47:55 pm »
What conclusion is that you agree with? the last paragraph?

Let me reword "I didn't post it because I agreed with conclusion."

I posted it, but I don't agree with its conclusion (the end of shale).

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 08:24:05 pm »
They way I see it, we have opened another source, previously unavailable, of hydrocarbons (Oil and Gas). If we have done so well with this newly tapped bonanza that we have rendered further development uneconomical, that is a self-correcting situation. The markets will eventually adjust to that breakeven point and beyond. Such is the cyclical nature of the industry.

This is/was my second oil boom in the Williston Basin, although I benefited from the tight gas tax breaks with more work, and some other odds and ends, and as ever, exploration. To some extent the Red River B horizontal well drilling boom here (localized as it was) was of benefit, too, both in developing skills and techniques important to the development later of the Bakken and Three Forks. Horizontal drilling was well established here long before the Bakken boom, and I'd been working horizontal wells since 1990.

No more than the vertical well is the 'shale' exploitation going to end. Both have their place where appropriate and are just more tools in the box for extracting oil and gas.

When we started drilling Bakken horizontal wells, the wells were hitting payout in 6-8 months, (2000-01, in Elm Coulee Field, Richland Co, MT) Production was great, costs were relatively low, and the price of oil had yet to spike. With the speculation in oil came higher prices, with higher prices came higher costs. Royalty rates on leases  went from the then standard 12.5% (1/8) to 20%, and the cost to lease an acre of mineral rights went from under ten dollars to later over $5,000.00 in the 'hottest' areas of the Bakken Boom over in ND.

If you bought in early, your potential profit was much greater, and the first oil company I worked Bakken Horizontal wells for sold to another, larger oil company, which in turn, was snapped up by a major, but only after prices and expenses had gone up significantly.

You don't have to be a financial genius (more the focus of Forbes than just the nuts and bolts of extracting oil) to figure out buying high, selling (oil) low is a hard way to make a profit, nor that the people who do best in any boom environment are the ones who get in on the ground floor. In every sector, from mineral rights to real estate to services, those who had the stuff where it needed to be and had bought it before the boom or early in the cycle did the best. They locked in their profit somewhere along the curve and walked away or rolled the money into The Next Big Thing, hopefully on the way up.

Is the current environment one where there are killings to be made? Only if you come up with the new tech that will enhance or improve production at a cost that works for the current market, or has a price trigger that will allow it to be implemented that is close to market conditions, and implemented at a net gain, financially. Or if you find another, cheaper, higher payout resource to tap.

This is the real, smelly back room aspect of oil production, the funding, and that is what Forbes would look at, from the investor standpoint. If there are other sectors of the market that offer higher profits, I would expect the investors to shift and cut in that direction, like schools of fish seeking food. The ones who get there first will get fatter with less effort than the ones who follow, such in the nature of things. While that boom of ready capital may dry up, too, there will still be savvy investors, who in a contrarian bent will invest in oil for the long haul. Much of that will depend on the decline curves of the assets in question, as to whether an investor would see a potential long term profit, and whether the asset would remain in production at profitable levels long enough to benefit from the next cycle. We may be a little early in the cycle for them to come popping out of the woodwork, but they will be there. These are the people who will buy low, in the hopes of selling high. Within the big picture, DUC wells are an asset, but tend to keep the price stable in that there is oil ready to tap, already drilled, if the demand goes up or the supply currently in production falters. (Ignoring the effect of geopolitical forces on the market and supply, which could cause prices to spike).

For those of us more concerned with OUR market, with producing oil and being employed, if not enriched thereby, yes, shale plays will remain an option. In some places at certain market parameters, geological parameters, and given the engineering and other challenges of that environment, there will not only be oil there to produce, but oil that can be produced at a profit significant enough to justify the investment in a well, a development program, and the production infrastructure to take the product to market.

That is never without risk, and unless the use of outside capital can be justified to expand, initiate, or otherwise develop that, with the costs of capital factored in and leave something for the stockholders, maybe it is better to self-fund, retire debt, and quietly develop for when the price goes back up. Because it will. It is only a question of when.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 10:26:26 pm »
They way I see it, we have opened another source, previously unavailable, of hydrocarbons (Oil and Gas). If we have done so well with this newly tapped bonanza that we have rendered further development uneconomical, that is a self-correcting situation. The markets will eventually adjust to that breakeven point and beyond. Such is the cyclical nature of the industry.

This is/was my second oil boom in the Williston Basin, although I benefited from the tight gas tax breaks with more work, and some other odds and ends, and as ever, exploration. To some extent the Red River B horizontal well drilling boom here (localized as it was) was of benefit, too, both in developing skills and techniques important to the development later of the Bakken and Three Forks. Horizontal drilling was well established here long before the Bakken boom, and I'd been working horizontal wells since 1990.

No more than the vertical well is the 'shale' exploitation going to end. Both have their place where appropriate and are just more tools in the box for extracting oil and gas.

When we started drilling Bakken horizontal wells, the wells were hitting payout in 6-8 months, (2000-01, in Elm Coulee Field, Richland Co, MT) Production was great, costs were relatively low, and the price of oil had yet to spike. With the speculation in oil came higher prices, with higher prices came higher costs. Royalty rates on leases  went from the then standard 12.5% (1/8) to 20%, and the cost to lease an acre of mineral rights went from under ten dollars to later over $5,000.00 in the 'hottest' areas of the Bakken Boom over in ND.

If you bought in early, your potential profit was much greater, and the first oil company I worked Bakken Horizontal wells for sold to another, larger oil company, which in turn, was snapped up by a major, but only after prices and expenses had gone up significantly.

You don't have to be a financial genius (more the focus of Forbes than just the nuts and bolts of extracting oil) to figure out buying high, selling (oil) low is a hard way to make a profit, nor that the people who do best in any boom environment are the ones who get in on the ground floor. In every sector, from mineral rights to real estate to services, those who had the stuff where it needed to be and had bought it before the boom or early in the cycle did the best. They locked in their profit somewhere along the curve and walked away or rolled the money into The Next Big Thing, hopefully on the way up.

Is the current environment one where there are killings to be made? Only if you come up with the new tech that will enhance or improve production at a cost that works for the current market, or has a price trigger that will allow it to be implemented that is close to market conditions, and implemented at a net gain, financially. Or if you find another, cheaper, higher payout resource to tap.

This is the real, smelly back room aspect of oil production, the funding, and that is what Forbes would look at, from the investor standpoint. If there are other sectors of the market that offer higher profits, I would expect the investors to shift and cut in that direction, like schools of fish seeking food. The ones who get there first will get fatter with less effort than the ones who follow, such in the nature of things. While that boom of ready capital may dry up, too, there will still be savvy investors, who in a contrarian bent will invest in oil for the long haul. Much of that will depend on the decline curves of the assets in question, as to whether an investor would see a potential long term profit, and whether the asset would remain in production at profitable levels long enough to benefit from the next cycle. We may be a little early in the cycle for them to come popping out of the woodwork, but they will be there. These are the people who will buy low, in the hopes of selling high. Within the big picture, DUC wells are an asset, but tend to keep the price stable in that there is oil ready to tap, already drilled, if the demand goes up or the supply currently in production falters. (Ignoring the effect of geopolitical forces on the market and supply, which could cause prices to spike).

For those of us more concerned with OUR market, with producing oil and being employed, if not enriched thereby, yes, shale plays will remain an option. In some places at certain market parameters, geological parameters, and given the engineering and other challenges of that environment, there will not only be oil there to produce, but oil that can be produced at a profit significant enough to justify the investment in a well, a development program, and the production infrastructure to take the product to market.

That is never without risk, and unless the use of outside capital can be justified to expand, initiate, or otherwise develop that, with the costs of capital factored in and leave something for the stockholders, maybe it is better to self-fund, retire debt, and quietly develop for when the price goes back up. Because it will. It is only a question of when.
Nicely thought out and reasonably delivered, as is customary from the man of many talents.  You are setting high bars for yourself.

My contention is that we are witnessing a spike in unconventional liquids that is of limited duration. Limiting is Geology of wide-extent-core-areas-in-a-favorable-maturity-window (as well as natural fractures, brittleness, etc) and the nature of simple fluid-flow physics that is a mitigating factor on allowing reservoir liquids to flow much will together see a drop in production growth and consequential reduction in what the US unconventional liquids can deliver.  Those results will return us back to the grasp of large worldwide oil producers and higher crude prices, which, as the cycle goes, will once again allow more unconventional liquids here to take place.

Only so much low-hanging fruit in the unconventional world at current prices, but those higher prices that will come about once OPEC/Russia reassert price controls will allow the unconventional game to continue here in US.  It just won't be as exciting(ie - profitable and voluminous).

Gas needs no such support.  It will be awesome to witness.  Maybe even to the extent of Fisher-Tropsch raising its head once again.....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 11:20:54 pm »
Nicely thought out and reasonably delivered, as is customary from the man of many talents.  You are setting high bars for yourself.

My contention is that we are witnessing a spike in unconventional liquids that is of limited duration. Limiting is Geology of wide-extent-core-areas-in-a-favorable-maturity-window (as well as natural fractures, brittleness, etc) and the nature of simple fluid-flow physics that is a mitigating factor on allowing reservoir liquids to flow much will together see a drop in production growth and consequential reduction in what the US unconventional liquids can deliver.  Those results will return us back to the grasp of large worldwide oil producers and higher crude prices, which, as the cycle goes, will once again allow more unconventional liquids here to take place.

Only so much low-hanging fruit in the unconventional world at current prices, but those higher prices that will come about once OPEC/Russia reassert price controls will allow the unconventional game to continue here in US.  It just won't be as exciting(ie - profitable and voluminous).

Gas needs no such support.  It will be awesome to witness.  Maybe even to the extent of Fisher-Tropsch raising its head once again.....
Thank you for the gracious compliment.

I agree that low hanging fruit will be the first to go, and that subsequent plays will (often, but not exclusively) be smaller, less overall production, less profitable, and have challenging aspects which will cause their threshold development to be more expensive, necessitating higher product prices. Barring new and unknown discoveries, (another low branch, somewhere), in the long run oil will cost more, or will be the fruit picked from the 'low branches' elsewhere and imported.

Geopolitical considerations will ever make  market predictions problematical, however the trend toward generating base load electricity with natural gas will likely grow, as much for environmental reasons as others, and the reduction in difficulty and expense of shipping the product once infrastructure is in place. With a steady or increasing domestic market and the ever growing potential for overseas markets, I expect Natural Gas demand to remain steady or increase slowly, and the activity to provide it to do so also.

I agree that if/when OPEC and the Russians reestablish market control to the degree that they can cause price increases without cutting production to the point their bottom line suffers, the unconventional market will stabilize at better levels here, but that, frankly, could take years.

My advice to those entering the profession is to get in on the production/development end. I found a career in exploration fun and exciting, but the on and off nature of that is a financial roller coaster that makes retirement a tougher proposition than a job you can count on.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 02:21:22 am »
My advice to those entering the profession is to get in on the production/development end. I found a career in exploration fun and exciting, but the on and off nature of that is a financial roller coaster that makes retirement a tougher proposition than a job you can count on.
Some like that roller coaster ride.  Since the adventurers here are also the ones most likely to go into international venues, it makes sense for them to get dual benefit by going exploration.  Lots of oil to still be discovered conventionally in other parts of the world, and have a kick doing it.

I spent a lot of time in the Middle East preparing Exploration bids, and even was in Libya for a month about 8-9 years ago. 

Visiting other countries has always been one of the fun things to do in the oil business, and in Exploration, you got a better chance to do so.

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 11:48:33 am »

Very well said.