Author Topic: Straus Kills Abbott Agenda  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Straus Kills Abbott Agenda
« on: August 16, 2017, 03:11:38 am »
Empower Texans August 15, 2017 by Tony McDonald

In an unprecedented abuse of power, House Speaker Joe Straus unilaterally adjourned the Texas House without warning a day before the special session called by Gov. Greg Abbott was scheduled to end. In doing so, he ignored loud objections from the floor and denied members their right to vote on the move.

Shortly after the Texas House voted to approve a half-billion-dollar education spending program, State Rep. Dennis Bonnen (R-Angelton) began briefing lawmakers on the progress of negotiations about a property tax reform measure. Bonnen told lawmakers he would not appoint a conference committee on what was arguably the center-piece legislation of both the governor and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick that was watered down over the weekend in the House.

Instead, Bonnen told his colleagues, the Senate would have to take the House version or leave it.

Then, without warning, State Rep. Dan Huberty (R-Humble) stepped to the microphone and moved that the House adjourn “sine die” – the constitutional language concluding the chamber’s work for the special session.

Besides property tax reform, the adjournment killed the key issues in Gov. Abbott’s agenda, such as spending limits, privacy protections, paycheck protection, and more.

Straus’ radical move could be a last hurrah for the liberal Republican speaker.

The House Republican Caucus is scheduled to meet on Wednesday at 8:30am to discuss adopting procedures for a caucus nominee for speaker.

After Straus gaveled the House out, conservative members confirmed on social media that the speaker ignored a chorus of objections and demands for a record vote on the motion to adjourn.

It is Straus’s most insolent rebuke yet of Gov. Abbott’s authority to call a special session, and the basic foundations of our constitutional order.

More: https://empowertexans.com/under-the-dome/straus-kills-abbott-agenda/

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Straus Kills Abbott Agenda
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 03:18:46 am »
And Mr. Straus may well have overplayed his hand this time!  We will soon see!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 03:25:33 am »

I sure hope that is correct!

Offline berdie

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 05:38:24 pm »

I agree. Abbott inferred that a second special session is not off the table. This could get really interesting.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 06:32:51 pm »
Why would a single Republican vote this guy in as Speaker?

He is worse than Mitch.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 06:38:11 pm »
Why would a single Republican vote this guy in as Speaker?

He is worse than Mitch.

Because many of those currently serving "Republicans" really are not!  They are democrats who understand that they cannot win running as democrats and run as republicans instead!  It's a continuing problem that the voters need to sort out in primaries!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 06:48:37 pm »
Because many of those currently serving "Republicans" really are not!  They are democrats who understand that they cannot win running as democrats and run as republicans instead!  It's a continuing problem that the voters need to sort out in primaries!

Bigun, you need to run for office.  I'm seriously thinking about it.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 06:53:19 pm »
Bigun, you need to run for office.  I'm seriously thinking about it.

I have!  Too old now but I will be working behind the scenes in several races next year to try and replace Straus lieutenants!

I'll help YOU as well if you decide to jump in!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 06:58:07 pm »
I have!  Too old now but I will be working behind the scenes in several races next year to try and replace Straus lieutenants!

I'll help YOU as well if you decide to jump in!

I may just call on you.  And, what's with the "too old"?  You're older than McCain?  Hatch?  Chunky Shumer?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 07:00:58 pm »
I may just call on you.  And, what's with the "too old"?  You're older than McCain?  Hatch?  Chunky Shumer?

LOL!  Thanks for your confidence in me but I personally will not be seeking public office again.  Please do call on me!  Perhaps even before you decide to make the jump and let's talk about what's really involved in doing it.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 07:07:27 pm »
Let me know where to send a check to you when you need it.  Am serious, as you reveal yourself well in the many posts you make.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 07:11:16 pm »
Let me know where to send a check to you when you need it.  Am serious, as you reveal yourself well in the many posts you make.

That's very sweet of you!  I will let you know when I make the decision.