Author Topic: Despite Trump’s Support, Alabama Senator Struggles to a Primary Finish  (Read 883 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/13/us/politics/despite-trumps-support-alabama-senator-struggles-to-a-primary-finish.html
HOMEWOOD, Ala. — Senator Luther Strange of Alabama wields an endorsement from the president of the United States, is the beneficiary of a multimillion-dollar campaign from allies of Mitch McConnell, the Senate majority leader, and has the backing of influential conservative interest groups like the National Rifle Association.

But Mr. Strange is wheezing into Tuesday’s Republican Senate primary here. He is grasping to secure a second-place finish and a slot in a September runoff with Roy S. Moore, the twice-deposed former State Supreme Court justice and evangelical-voter favorite who is expected to be the top vote-getter but may fall short of the majority needed to win outright.

Mr. Strange is in a political vise, pinched by his links to a pair of Republicans, one local and one national, held in low esteem by many in the party here: the disgraced former Gov. Robert Bentley, who appointed Mr. Strange, and Mr. McConnell.

The senator’s difficulties owe chiefly to how he found his way to fill the seat vacated by Attorney General Jeff Sessions, a story rooted in the sex scandal of Mr. Bentley. Yet Mr. Strange, who is 6-foot-9 and known to many as “Big Luther,” is also bumping into the enduring contempt grass-roots conservatives harbor toward the party establishment, an animus now principally directed toward Mr. McConnell.

I absolutely love Senator Luther Strange's name.  I'm a comic book fan and the Senator's name evokes Superman villain Lex Luthor and Batman villain Dr. Hugo Strange, but I'm rooting for Judge Roy "Dredd" Moore for mostly entertainment value.  Alabama is the place to be tomorrow.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
 I did not realize that Mr. Strange is 6'9".  If he didn't play basketball, I want to know why.

I love that he will probably lose.

It will be a nice Alabama punch in the faces of Trump and McConnell and that alone would be a good reason.

But then we have this conservative, and also interesting, Judge dude to support.

Even though I got enough insults to last me a good week when I criticized one of the judge's talking points, I hope he wins.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I was curious enough to look up Mr. Strange and, yes, he did play basketball, although not with any notable success.  I found this on Wikepedia.

"He received his undergraduate degree from Tulane University, where he was a scholarship reserve basketball player nicknamed "The Big Bunny"

I also noted that he included opposition to same-sex marriage in his resume.  This is apparently a requirement in Alabama so I can't fault the judge for this position.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Here's hoping he comes in 3rd and doesn't make the run off.

The last thing American needs is another McConnell @ss kisser in DC.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Here's hoping he comes in 3rd and doesn't make the run off.

The last thing American needs is another McConnell @ss kisser in DC.

I'm hoping he comes in a very poor third.  But we'll soon know.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Roy Moore's going to win this one.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Roy Moore's going to win this one.

Yep!  Maybe even without a runoff.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online corbe

If that's true and I would be happy with Roy or Mo, the LSM is gonna bring out a big brush to paint Trump as Lame Duck, already, I can just imagine the Tweets in response to this, Stay tuned Folks, don't touch that dial.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Republican Primary
Candidate
Vote
Pct.

Roy Moore
41.2%

Luther Strange*

Mo Brooks

Trip Pittman

Others

4% reporting (90 of 2,522 precincts)

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Well get ready for Mitch to throw even more RSCC $$$$ and threats against consultants and ad agencies into this campaign to make sure that Strange gets elected.

Sadly Judge Roy More will now be painted as some kind of bible pounding law breaking racist extremeist...by the very party he's registered in.

It's Mitch's modus operandi.

I just hope the people of Alabama see through this BS.  But it's going to take a lot to overcome the voters in Birmingham, Montgomery and Mobile to get Judge Moore into office in DC.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline CSM

Re: Despite Trump’s Support, Alabama Senator Struggles to a Primary Finish
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 04:34:38 pm »
4% reporting (90 of 2,522 precincts)

@Bigun Do you have an updated tally?  I'm swamped and my quick google searches are just news stories....

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 05:28:24 pm »
@Bigun Do you have an updated tally?  I'm swamped and my quick google searches are just news stories....

@CSM

Here's a link to the thread I posted after this one failed to update.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,276963.msg1421400.html#msg1421400
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:28:55 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline CSM

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 05:49:18 pm »
@CSM

Here's a link to the thread I posted after this one failed to update.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,276963.msg1421400.html#msg1421400

Great news, thanks.  It looks like Alabama is going to send a yuuuge message to McConnel and Trump.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 05:51:06 pm »
Great news, thanks.  It looks like Alabama is going to send a yuuuge message to McConnel and Trump.

I hope!  But don't doubt for a second that EVERY possible effort will be made to prevent it!

- J. R. R. Tolkien