Author Topic: A government failure in Charlottesville  (Read 370 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

A government failure in Charlottesville
« on: August 15, 2017, 02:03:52 pm »
A government failure in Charlottesville
Washington Examiner, Aug 14, 2017

Saturday's ugly events in Charlottesville culminated in a neo-Nazi protestor plowing his car into a crowd of his adversaries. He allegedly killed Heather Heyer, a young woman who had been excercising her right to free speech. Attorney General Jeff Sessions is rightly giving a high priority to the investigation, and President Trump has finally gotten around to issuing a proper condemnation of the white nationalists who brought their hate-fest to Charlottesville.

Yet beyond this, Saturday's events represent a serious failure of government. Neither the death of Heyer nor the general mayhem were inevitable. They could have been prevented if authorities there had confronted the situation sensibly.

The first failing was that of Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe, Charlottesville Mayor Mike Signer, and the police in failing to separate the Nazis from the counter-protesters who showed up to meet them.

More:  http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/a-government-failure-in-charlottesville/article/2631487

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Re: A government failure in Charlottesville
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 03:27:55 pm »
Further negligence is, after the riot in the park, allowing a march through the streets.  The decision to allow that should have included blocking off vehicular traffic.

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 03:39:27 pm »
Further negligence is, after the riot in the park, allowing a march through the streets.  The decision to allow that should have included blocking off vehicular traffic.

EXCELLENT point @don-o

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 04:08:05 pm »
According to a person who was there before the crowd got there (this thread was on TBR), the police did have a barrier between the two groups in Centennial Park where it was supposed to happen.  The various sides evidently said "screw the barriers" and co-mingled.  With so many people going different directions, cops couldn't keep up with that.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 04:09:02 pm »
The violence resulted as a result of the authorities botching the scene.  They keep the antifa idiots away, and nothing happens.  The moronic Nazis and WNs screech their message and then leave. That's it.
It is very important that while condemning WNs and their ilk,  big name conservatives condemn violent leftists and the media for being complicit and enabling.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 04:45:17 pm »
According to a person who was there before the crowd got there (this thread was on TBR), the police did have a barrier between the two groups in Centennial Park where it was supposed to happen.  The various sides evidently said "screw the barriers" and co-mingled.  With so many people going different directions, cops couldn't keep up with that.

Is that supposed to be some kind of a defense for police failure to do their job?  9999what To be clear...I am NOT talking about the cops on the line. I am talking about the ROE in place and the calls that were and were not made as the situation deteriorated.

I hope Sessions goes deep on this and deposes everybody, including the Governor.

QY: I know the Guard was activated. Has anyone seen if they were deployed?

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 05:48:13 pm »
Is that supposed to be some kind of a defense for police failure to do their job?  9999what To be clear...I am NOT talking about the cops on the line. I am talking about the ROE in place and the calls that were and were not made as the situation deteriorated.

I hope Sessions goes deep on this and deposes everybody, including the Governor.

QY: I know the Guard was activated. Has anyone seen if they were deployed? 
:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Last news on the Guard was that it was  put on "stand-by"  ---

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/aug/12/national-guard-standby-ahead-opposing-rallies-satu/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/12/national-guard-on-standby-for-unite-right-rally-in-virginia.html

@don-o

Offline dfwgator

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 06:21:47 pm »
This article on the DailyMail shows how demonstrations SHOULD go:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4791808/1940s-anti-Nazi-film-War-Department-goes-viral.html

My comment:

"Good film. Shows a person exercising their right to Free Speech all while spouting reprehensible views. He does so peacefully, and the people standing by do not attack him with bats, throw urine filled bottles at him, nor set anything on fire. Instead, they listen peacefully and broadly dismiss his ideas as lunacy. At the end, one lone fool claps while the others walk away disgusted, and two men wage a debate on the battlefield of ideas and logic. In the America *I* grew up in, everyone had free speech, even if you didn't like what they were saying. You respected that right, and you armed yourself with BETTER ideas so you could dismantle hatred in a peaceful way. White Nationalists are a scourge on this country, but make no mistake - Antifa is just as big a scourge. Their jack-booted thug tactics to shut down speech they don't like is widespread, universally violent, and more reminiscent of Nazis than the embarrassingly small and irrelevant White Nationalists."

Take note that 23% of the people have DOWN VOTED that comment.

These are the people that will not obey a police barricade, and if authorities make an effort to segregate the two demonstrations, they will quickly organize a mob march on the other demonstration in order to bring chaos.

If you aren't seriously afraid of Antifa, you should be. They are modern day Leninites.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!