Author Topic: Trump is a Cheerleader, Not a Captain  (Read 315 times)

Offline corbe

Trump is a Cheerleader, Not a Captain
« on: August 14, 2017, 05:07:06 pm »
Trump is a Cheerleader, Not a Captain

By Ed Willing  |  August 14, 2017, 11:26am  |  @EddieWilling

August 2017 will be a moment like many others we’ve faced. July 1967 (the 12th Street Riot in Detroit), April 1992 (Rodney King riots), or August 2014 (Furguson Riot) come to mind. Call it the Lunatic Fringe Riot. Maybe it wasn’t as large, or as culturally impacting, but it serves as an historical benchmark, where the original sin of American passivity toward prejudice came bubbling up to the surface, and as a result property was damaged, people were hurt and some even died. Again.

For much of the morning, everyone turned to see what the president would do. He performed as expected, with a few words of general condemnation, then without segue went into self-aggrandizing praise for economic activity and his alleged “long list of legislative achievements.”

Many felt it was an opportunity missed. Others felt angry. A few accused him of being at fault.

But this problem of ours is much bigger and more complicated than a single man. Our people are diverse, opinionated and dissatisfied. We don’t need someone to make us flawed, we already are. Some times we just show it more than others. We were like a soda can for years, and Donald Trump came along, shook us up, then popped the can November 8th. Trump is a consequence of our humanity, not the cause. He’s a manipulator, not author of tribalism. He’s a cheerleader, not a captain, and certainly not the quarterback he thinks he is.

<..snip..>

http://theresurgent.com/trump-is-a-cheerleader-not-a-captain/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Trump is a Cheerleader, Not a Captain
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 05:13:28 pm »
Somewhat valid criticism, but at the end of the day do we have Separate but Equal branches of govt or not? One minute Trump is a weak leader who can't get Congress to do anything, but the second he tries then he's a bully trying to turn the Executive into a dictatorship.

Can't have it both ways, and I don't see Mitch McConnell being criticized anywhere in this article for his failure of leadership.
The Republic is lost.

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 05:20:31 pm »
   Your points are valid (in my book) @Free Vulcan even though the article is clearly discussing this Charlottesville crap and not the failure of McConnell and Trump to come to some kind of consensus on how best to 'heard cats' in the REPEAL of obummercare.
   There is way to much criticism on ALL sides, and that includes me!
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 05:26:10 pm »
   Your points are valid (in my book) @Free Vulcan even though the article is clearly discussing this Charlottesville crap and not the failure of McConnell and Trump to come to some kind of consensus on how best to 'heard cats' in the REPEAL of obummercare.
   There is way to much criticism on ALL sides, and that includes me!

Well I probably took some leaps of logic because I thought he was attempting to make a case for overall leadership beyond the Charlottesville riot. Not that I think the author is totally wrong that Trump can be a cheerleader when he just needs to be a leader, I just don't take it as far as he does from the CV incident to the whole program since inauguration.
The Republic is lost.