Author Topic: What You Need to Know When You Get Retirement or Survivors Benefits  (Read 1680 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I just got my SS packet for my first check and in reading the material, I found this

Can you get SSI?
If you have limited income and resources, SSI may be
able to help. SSI is a federal program that we manage.
General revenues, not Social Security taxes, finance the
SSI program.
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10077.pdf

The claim made by so many that Social Security has its own 'Trust' is an obvious lie, as pronounced now by the Social Security Administration.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: What You Need to Know When You Get Retirement or Survivors Benefits
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 02:21:17 am »
I Sailed wrote:
"The claim made by so many that Social Security has its own 'Trust' is an obvious lie, as pronounced now by the Social Security Administration."

So... in the face of that blatant lie... did you send the check back?

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 02:40:35 am »
f you’re applying for SSDI, you need the Social Security lawyer Memphis TN knows and trusts with their applications. At Darrell Castle & Associates, we help you through the whole disability process, from the application to the appeal. You can rest assured you have an attorney on your side who will fight for you and the benefits you need.

https://darrellcastle.com/social-security-lawyer-Memphis-TN

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 03:56:46 am »
f you’re applying for SSDI, you need the Social Security lawyer Memphis TN knows and trusts with their applications. At Darrell Castle & Associates, we help you through the whole disability process, from the application to the appeal. You can rest assured you have an attorney on your side who will fight for you and the benefits you need.

See? If you would have elected him POTUS you could have saved him.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 06:09:42 am »

I know someone who lost the use of their legs (and most of their arm movement) to a blood clot in the spinal column at T4. It took her over 6 months to get the first check. Needless to say, she couldn't work, couldn't pay the bills, and had a daughter in school. A bunch of friends chipped in to keep her lights and water on and make her rent, but she could have used a lawyer to go to bat for her. SSDI denied her claim the first time.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 06:21:13 am »
I know someone who lost the use of their legs (and most of their arm movement) to a blood clot in the spinal column at T4. It took her over 6 months to get the first check. Needless to say, she couldn't work, couldn't pay the bills, and had a daughter in school. A bunch of friends chipped in to keep her lights and water on and make her rent, but she could have used a lawyer to go to bat for her. SSDI denied her claim the first time.
I initially looked into an attorney to handle my SSDI, the guys got lots of ads and he's not only an attorney but a licensed clinical psychologist, what's that tell ya. After hearing their spiel and the ka ching percentage they would take I decided to file myself. I actually had no trouble and the six month period is as far as I could tell the standard wait. Personally I wouldn't look to an attorney unless your self filed application was denied. And yes it really sucks waiting out that first check.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 06:30:22 am »
I initially looked into an attorney to handle my SSDI, the guys got lots of ads and he's not only an attorney but a licensed clinical psychologist, what's that tell ya. After hearing their spiel and the ka ching percentage they would take I decided to file myself. I actually had no trouble and the six month period is as far as I could tell the standard wait. Personally I wouldn't look to an attorney unless your self filed application was denied. And yes it really sucks waiting out that first check.
Homeless and newly wheelchair bound are a tough proposition in North Dakota, especially in winter, and would be anywhere. I'm glad we could help her out, but really question the wait. If you are disabled like she was, it isn't going away. Even her doctors were livid.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 06:32:43 am »

Yes.  I highly recommend getting professional help in applying for disability benefits.  When I became disabled, I first received benefits through my employer's disability carrier.  Then I applied for SS.  The private carrier put me in touch with a company specializing in SS disability claims.  The application process was daunting, but companies and law firms specializing in these claims know how to put these claims together in a way that almost guarantees success.  I was approved on the first try. 

And yes, it's true you don't start receiving benefits right away.  SS has this ridiculous formula for determining the date of your disability (it's not the date you actually stopped working), then they calculate 6 months from that date as the date you start receiving benefits. I was lucky.  The private insurer for my last employer continued to pay benefits until I started receiving SS.  Most people aren't that lucky.   Typical government bureaucracy.  When they want your money, you had better pay up immediately.  But if you are entitled to receive money from the government, you have to wait. 

Online GtHawk

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 06:44:13 am »
Homeless and newly wheelchair bound are a tough proposition in North Dakota, especially in winter, and would be anywhere. I'm glad we could help her out, but really question the wait. If you are disabled like she was, it isn't going away. Even her doctors were livid.
I feel for your friend, I am disabled but to the extent your friend was/is, I am a little surprised however that they didn't qualify for SSI and and  food and medical assistance  and housing relief from the state in the period until their SSDI started. I can only speak for California but I would definitely say the ball was dropped as far as making sure they received not only prompt assistance but all the assistance available. Americans in the situation your friend found themselves in are the ones we should be spending our tax dollars to help not illegals that scurry across our borders. It is good that your friend had people like you to help them out when the system failed.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 06:48:58 am »
I feel for your friend, I am disabled but to the extent your friend was/is, I am a little surprised however that they didn't qualify for SSI and and  food and medical assistance  and housing relief from the state in the period until their SSDI started. I can only speak for California but I would definitely say the ball was dropped as far as making sure they received not only prompt assistance but all the assistance available. Americans in the situation your friend found themselves in are the ones we should be spending our tax dollars to help not illegals that scurry across our borders. It is good that your friend had people like you to help them out when the system failed.
I think they saw "back injury" and summarily denied it. IIRC, there was some big expose' on teevee at the time, of disability fraud and back injuries.

C S Lewis

Offline berdie

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 07:06:04 am »
My hubby died 30 years a go. I have never remarried.

My job is making me insane. Sooo, I'm going to go to SS and see if I can draw on his until I reach 65 or 66. Or see what kind of hit I will take by drawing at 64 instead of 65/66. Of course, insurance is a BIG issue. But I can take COBRA until Medicare kicks in....even if it is cost prohibitive.

Online GtHawk

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 07:26:11 am »
I think they saw "back injury" and summarily denied it. IIRC, there was some big expose' on teevee at the time, of disability fraud and back injuries.
Could be, though it's interesting that SS called me two days early for my phone interview to go over my application and the first thing I told them was they were going to have to bare with me because I was still really medicated from the back surgery I had three days before. I think it worked in my favor.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 01:20:31 pm »

The conservative response to people who can't find a job is to move, perhaps to ND. Should perhaps the response have been, "move to where accessibility is less of an issue?"

Just something to ponder, why or why not the same response.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 03:59:12 pm »
The conservative response to people who can't find a job is to move, perhaps to ND. Should perhaps the response have been, "move to where accessibility is less of an issue?"

Just something to ponder, why or why not the same response.
When your legs stop working overnight, moving is a problem. Moving anywhere. Moving to the next room, moving to the next state, whatever. There is a serious change in lifestyle that takes some adjusting to. Better to stay among friends than end up at the mercy of bureaucrats elsewhere and complicate things with address changes.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 04:12:10 pm »

My job is making me insane. Sooo, I'm going to go to SS and see if I can draw on his until I reach 65 or 66. Or see what kind of hit I will take by drawing at 64 instead of 65/66. Of course, insurance is a BIG issue. But I can take COBRA until Medicare kicks in....even if it is cost prohibitive.

@berdie

I did the math and retired at age 62.  Would have had to live a very long time to recover what I drew between the age of 62 and 66 if I had waited.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 05:47:14 pm »

Retire now.  The math supports it.  If you were happy in your job, it would be a different story.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline berdie

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 08:06:43 pm »
@berdie

I did the math and retired at age 62.  Would have had to live a very long time to recover what I drew between the age of 62 and 66 if I had waited.

I know the difference in benefits is significant between 62-66. I'm hoping it won't be so drastic at 64, @Bigun.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 08:10:30 pm »
I know the difference in benefits is significant between 62-66. I'm hoping it won't be so drastic at 64, @Bigun.

But add up what you would receive in benefits over those years between 62-66 and then divide it by the increase in benefits.  It would probably take ten years to get back the money.

But I'm only urging you to retire because you are miserable.  Also, if you don't have other interests and hobbies, it might be a mistake.  Every case is different.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline berdie

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 08:10:46 pm »
Retire now.  The math supports it.  If you were happy in your job, it would be a different story.

Yeah, @Emjay, I haven't done anything impulsive or "off script" concerning my job since I was in my 20's.  Today it sounds even better than it did yesterday. :laugh:

I have plenty of outside interests and I'm only 14 months off target.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 08:13:06 pm by berdie »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 08:13:49 pm »
But add up what you would receive in benefits over those years between 62-66 and then divide it by the increase in benefits.  It would probably take ten years to get back the money.

But I'm only urging you to retire because you are miserable.  Also, if you don't have other interests and hobbies, it might be a mistake.  Every case is different.

In my case it was far more than ten years to break even.  I won't live long enough.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 12:46:23 pm »
I Sailed wrote:
"The claim made by so many that Social Security has its own 'Trust' is an obvious lie, as pronounced now by the Social Security Administration."

So... in the face of that blatant lie... did you send the check back?
Did you read the topic?  What are you trying to say?  Seems like a comment that does not belong in this thread.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 02:54:30 pm »
Did you read the topic?  What are you trying to say?  Seems like a comment that does not belong in this thread.

I think there was some confusion regarding the funding of SSI vs. regular SS benefits...

Edit> OTOH, why is this in Politics? Isn't it more of a General Discussions topic?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 03:04:26 pm by Snarknado »
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 03:12:40 pm »
I think there was some confusion regarding the funding of SSI vs. regular SS benefits...

Edit> OTOH, why is this in Politics? Isn't it more of a General Discussions topic?
I chose politics as the political animals that support the government teat (remember Algore's famous SS 'lockbox') have insisted for years that the SS trust fund is preserved. 

You do not think that is political?

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 05:02:47 pm »
I chose politics as the political animals that support the government teat (remember Algore's famous SS 'lockbox') have insisted for years that the SS trust fund is preserved. 

You do not think that is political?

I get your point about SS benefits and the so-called trust fund. But your OP concerns SSI, which has nothing to do with that argument...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 02:22:59 am »
I Sailed wrote:
"Did you read the topic?  What are you trying to say?  Seems like a comment that does not belong in this thread."

Huh?
My post 2 in reply to you was about the only reply apropos to the topic.

Let's reiterate the facts:
You began by saying:
"I just got my SS packet for my first check and in reading the material, I found this..."

You found a printed statement that accompanied your first check, right?
So... you read the statement and seem to be upset by it.
Then, you stated:

I take it from that statement that you are upset about SS and the sources of revenues that fund it. Do you dispute that?

So...
Again: if you ARE in fact displeased with Social Security, "lies" and all, why are you taking the money they give you?
Why don't you send the check back?

Full disclosure:
I retired in 2012, but before that I hadn't paid into Social Security since 1979.
My retirement income comes from another source (Railroad Retirement).
I don't have any problems with that -- for 32 years I paid far more into RRRetirement than I would have paid into SS.
I accept the payment from them and smile.