Author Topic: GOP Donors Respond to Obamacare Repeal Failure, Withhold Donations  (Read 1125 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
BY: Kathryn Covert
August 8, 2017 1:39 pm

Republican donors are protesting GOP lawmakers' failure to repeal Obamacare by withholding donations to the National Republican Senatorial Committee.

At least $2 million in contributions originally promised to the NRSC have not materialized, CNN reported Tuesday.

The failure of Republicans to fulfill a central campaign promise particularly concerns some donors because it could disillusion core voters heading into the 2018 midterms. The uncertainty could put the Republicans' majority—especially in the House of Representatives—at risk.

The Republican majority in the Senate is widely viewed to be safe in the 2018 midterms. Nonetheless, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R, Ky.) has been privately warning his colleagues and donors that the GOP's 52-48 majority should not be taken for granted, according to CNN. A campaign donation shortfall could impact the GOP's ability to effectively campaign in states where Democratic senators are vulnerable.

more
http://freebeacon.com/politics/gop-donors-respond-obamacare-repeal-failure-withhold-donations/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: GOP Donors Respond to Obamacare Repeal Failure, Withhold Donations
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 04:17:07 pm »
Donors should give directly to the local candidates, and stop feeding entities like the "National Republican Senatorial Committee," which gives McConnell's types power.

Or instead we could debate the definition of "conservative," and how many pins can fit on a "conservative" pin head.

Or is that "conservaive pin head?"

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline dfwgator

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 04:27:00 pm »
Maybe they've just been bled dry by greedy website owners?

A thousand a year here, a thousand a day there, pretty soon we're talking about asking for serious money.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 04:27:18 pm »
As always, you reap what you sow.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 04:38:29 pm »
A drop in the bucket compared to what the party gets from Lobbyists.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 04:53:23 pm »
Donors should give directly to the local candidates, and stop feeding entities like the "National Republican Senatorial Committee," which gives McConnell's types power.

Or instead we could debate the definition of "conservative," and how many pins can fit on a "conservative" pin head.

Or is that "conservaive pin head?"

I am a firm believer in that. Not only does it give guys like McConman power, but having all the money in the majority funds crimps the ability for the candidate to run their own campaign.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:58:17 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 04:58:20 pm »
The GOP does not give a whit about 'donations' that they simply use to buy ad space during campaigns.

The REAL money is K street lobbying firms.

And it is what THEY want that motivates the Republican party.

Not the imbeciles that vote for them in the false belief that they are going to vote the way they want them to.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline bilo

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 05:03:44 pm »
A drop in the bucket compared to what the party gets from Lobbyists.

The failure to repeal obamacare is a great example of this.

I may give directly to conservatives, but if they aren't on the ballot in the general election I will not vote for the GOP candidate and I am encouraging my friends to do the same. Enough is enough.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 05:17:05 pm »

I may give directly to conservatives, but if they aren't on the ballot in the general election I will not vote for the GOP candidate and I am encouraging my friends to do the same. Enough is enough.

How will enabling the election of Democrats help your cause?   

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 05:34:17 pm »

How does electing candidates that refuse to support your cause help your cause?  The question goes both ways.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 05:39:37 pm »

Great question. Raises my oft and long time hypothesis; namely some "true conservatives," are logic and math challenged.

Or "so what, if I shoot myself in the foot? I still have another foot left, and besides--the Republican wasn't a conservative anyway."

(Review of Conservative Union ratings proves over and over, every Republican has stronger conservative voting records, than any democrat.)
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 05:46:26 pm »
Great question. Raises my oft and long time hypothesis; namely some "true conservatives," are logic and math challenged.

Or "so what, if I shoot myself in the foot? I still have another foot left, and besides--the Republican wasn't a conservative anyway."

(Review of Conservative Union ratings proves over and over, every Republican has stronger conservative voting records, than any democrat.)

Feel free to answer my question to Jazz.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 05:47:25 pm »

Good point.  The Republican party isn't perfect, but it is the only effective mouthpiece for conservative values we have.   There is no alternative.   

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 05:48:44 pm »
Good point.  The Republican party isn't perfect, but it is the only effective mouthpiece for conservative values we have.   There is no alternative.

Sad, but true.

Offline bilo

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 05:52:13 pm »

I realize it can be difficult to see cause and effect sometimes, but let me walk you through it.

The Pub party does not keep their campaign promises. The voters don't support them in the next election, or several elections. The Pub party either develops the party discipline that results in them keeping their promises or they remain a minority party.

I and others like me will not support liars and thieves. The Pubs lied to me for 7 years that they would repeal obamacare. The Pubs stole from donors claiming they would repeal obamacare if donors gave them contributions.

Offline bilo

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 05:54:31 pm »
How does electing candidates that refuse to support your cause help your cause?  The question goes both ways.

:amen:

If there aren't consequences for lying and stealing then why should they stop lying to us, or stealing from us.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 05:57:27 pm »
I realize it can be difficult to see cause and effect sometimes, but let me walk you through it.

The Pub party does not keep their campaign promises. The voters don't support them in the next election, or several elections. The Pub party either develops the party discipline that results in them keeping their promises or they remain a minority party.

I and others like me will not support liars and thieves. The Pubs lied to me for 7 years that they would repeal obamacare. The Pubs stole from donors claiming they would repeal obamacare if donors gave them contributions.

Well, many of us are done practicing insanity and it is past time to work on establishing another option outside of the grip and corruption of D.C.

When a church becomes apostate and begins preaching heresy as doctrine with the full approval of the leadership and most of the lay members - staying in it to try and 'effect change' is a lesson in pure stupidity.  You are either going to get hurt or corrupted into accepting heresy yourself.

Time to kick the dust off your shoes and move on elsewhere and leave the apostates to themselves.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline bilo

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 05:59:10 pm »

I stuck with your approach for a lot of years. IOW, elect the lesser of two evils and hope to get some of what you want. Over 40 years I've watched a steady erosion of my freedoms and ability to do business. Now after hanging in there for 7 years of "elect us and day one we will repeal obamacare" I see it's time to take a different approach.

My new tactic is to only support those that I/m confident are really conservatives and if they aren't on the ballot in the general election to walk away.

Why vote for someone who won't represent you?

Offline bilo

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 06:03:24 pm »
Sad, but true.

It's only true because we allow them to get away with saying one thing and doing another. The Pub party has no discipline. Collins, Murkowski, McCain and others get away with not fulfilling Party promises because they are never held to account by the party or the voters. The only way to change that is to hold the party accountable.

Offline bilo

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 06:07:46 pm »
Well, many of us are done practicing insanity and it is past time to work on establishing another option outside of the grip and corruption of D.C.

When a church becomes apostate and begins preaching heresy as doctrine with the full approval of the leadership and most of the lay members - staying in it to try and 'effect change' is a lesson in pure stupidity.  You are either going to get hurt or corrupted into accepting heresy yourself.

Time to kick the dust off your shoes and move on elsewhere and leave the apostates to themselves.

Your example is spot on!

I realize there are times you need to compromise, but on core issues like the right to life, repealing obamacare, reducing govt, etc. if the party proclaiming these things doesn't do them they are just phony's. Why throw in with a bunch of people who don't believe what they say?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 06:30:39 pm »
Your example is spot on!

I realize there are times you need to compromise, but on core issues like the right to life, repealing obamacare, reducing govt, etc. if the party proclaiming these things doesn't do them they are just phony's. Why throw in with a bunch of people who don't believe what they say?

Compromising on what music to sing or what color candles to light in the sanctuary is one thing.

Compromising on core principles and declaring Muslims and Christians worship the same God while performing homosexual marriages is when it is time to bolt.

When they refuse to repeal ObamaCare and they attempted to replace it with a rubber stamp of GOP-APPROVED, while their leader openly talked about his preference for single-payer, you're in the same league as an apostate church.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 06:38:11 pm »
Your example is spot on!

McConnell and Ryan had two months before Inauguration Day to do the grunt work on repealing Obamacare. Indicates to me they were never serious in the first place. Both should resign IMO.

I know it won't happen, so the next alternative is to sit out next year, and let Pelosi and Schumer wield the gavels. The good news is we'll only have one enemy to run against in 2020, the Democrats, instead of both branches of the UniParty.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 06:40:26 pm »

The problem is that the Republicans WANT to lose.  They want to be the minority party.    All the perks of being in DC, with none of the responsibility.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 06:42:11 pm »
It's only true because we allow them to get away with saying one thing and doing another. The Pub party has no discipline. Collins, Murkowski, McCain and others get away with not fulfilling Party promises because they are never held to account by the party or the voters. The only way to change that is to hold the party accountable.

“Now, there's one thing you might have noticed I don't complain about: politicians. Everybody complains about politicians. Everybody says they suck. Well, where do people think these politicians come from? They don't fall out of the sky. They don't pass through a membrane from another reality. They come from American parents and American families, American homes, American schools, American churches, American businesses and American universities, and they are elected by American citizens. This is the best we can do folks. This is what we have to offer. It's what our system produces: Garbage in, garbage out. If you have selfish, ignorant citizens, you're going to get selfish, ignorant leaders. Term limits ain't going to do any good; you're just going to end up with a brand new bunch of selfish, ignorant Americans. So, maybe, maybe, maybe, it's not the politicians who suck. Maybe something else sucks around here... like, the public. Yeah, the public sucks. There's a nice campaign slogan for somebody: 'The Public Sucks. F*ck Hope.”  - George Carlin