Author Topic: 8 Reasons Why Revolvers Are a Great Choice for New Shooters  (Read 5180 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: 8 Reasons Why Revolvers Are a Great Choice for New Shooters
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 01:46:15 am »
Just remember Revolvers can fail too.

I have personally experienced only 2 revolver failures. One was a S&W Model 36. It has a firing pin mounted on the hammer and the firing pin broke. The second was an imported 36 Caliber Cap and Ball and a cap hung up the cylinder.

Some other failures people have reported are:

Bullet creep -- bullets moving forward under recoil and tying up the cylinder.
    Primer lockups -- mostly metal flowing into the firing pin hole. A backed-out primer can also tie up the cylinder.
    Crud under the ejector star.
    Loose ejector rod.
    Loose or backed out strain screw

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2017, 11:27:53 am »
@txradioguy

Simplicity
Semi-automatic pistols “hide” a cartridge in the chamber after the magazine has been removed, and some people—particularly the untrained—inadvertently sweep the muzzle in dangerous directions when struggling to retract the slide against heavy recoil spring tension. This isn’t the case with revolvers. It’s easy to keep the muzzle in a safe direction and simply swing the cylinder open. All of the chambers are visible to the eye, and even in the dark, they’re easy to check by touch with a fingertip to assure that they are empty.

My personal "pistols" are revolvers and I have extra speed loaders for them.  I have trouble having enough power to move a slide so I don't have those weapons.

Exactly where I am.  I had a semi automatic, but between age and a hand injury.....   Bought a revolver, love the laser sights, so easy to use.  After I had it for 6 months, husband bought one for his bedside gun.

The instructors at the gun club we belong to, recommend revolvers as personal defense weapons for women. 

"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2017, 02:41:26 am »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2017, 02:45:47 am »
Another pic I took from the NRA Museum.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2017, 04:20:13 am »
I like a nice wheel gun as much as anyone.  Not going to carry one for self defense though!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2017, 04:37:49 am »
I like a nice wheel gun as much as anyone.  Not going to carry one for self defense though!

I had a .357 for my "car gun" for years because my primary concern was having to stop another car.  The nature of the threat changed with the advent of the OWS/BLM crowd, so I've switched from the revolver to a 9mm Semi, full size mag with an extra in reserve.  I'm more likely now, in the city, to have to repel a bunch of people.  Better to have 30 small rounds than 6 big ones.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2017, 12:00:17 pm »
I had a .357 for my "car gun" for years because my primary concern was having to stop another car.  The nature of the threat changed with the advent of the OWS/BLM crowd, so I've switched from the revolver to a 9mm Semi, full size mag with an extra in reserve.  I'm more likely now, in the city, to have to repel a bunch of people.  Better to have 30 small rounds than 6 big ones.

My primary "truck gun" has been a 12ga pump. It has a mag extension. I too worried about stopping cars, so I picked up some steel slug ammo to add to my 00 buck.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2017, 10:06:52 pm »
I don't care for Blackhawks much, but we do have a matched set of .357 and .44 Magnums.  They are certainly cool looking....

Might be on the wrong thread, but IMHO when in your home alone and there is/are intruders, a shotgun is a girl's best friend!  I have been using that "trick" for about 30 or so years!

I can shoot pretty much all pistols, rifles, shotguns, et cetera (and I am trained in all of them), but my favorite in-house gun would be my Remy 1100.

I do carry in my purse 99.9% of the time a (do not laugh) pink .380 Taurus!  Nice and light weight! 

Been shooting since I was a kid with my dad.  Started shooting trap/skeet in my 20s, then started shooting combat in my 30s.  In combat shooting I was trained by a "master."

I have respect for guns, but not the "fear" everyone says you are supposed to have.  Just like I have no "fear" of a baseball bat.

Shooting is a sport for me.  It is only deadly when someone is ready to attack you, or someone close to you is in danger.  Just don't mess with me nor my friends.  I can be deadly if provoked with a similar weapon!  That person will go down before he/she can say "ouch!"

A "friend" can be one of my kitties or cats, too.  Just do not mess with them, either!
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra