Author Topic: Trump's 'real news' Facebook videos alarm media  (Read 4916 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Trump's 'real news' Facebook videos alarm media
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2017, 05:59:30 pm »
No, FDR used the tool available to him and he used it to great advantage.

Trump is trying another tool that's recently become available.

From what I read about the first edition, I don't think you need to worry so much, TRG, it was positively maudlin.  At least he used the 'good' daughter-in-law.

Why are you so upset about this?  It doesn't give Trump any kind of unfair advantage.  It's another way of bypassing the media.  I don't blame him for trying to do this.  The media is out to get him ... it cannot be denied.  They will use all their skill to either slant stories or outright lie to make him look bad.

If Trump wanted to use an available tool there is an Official FB page and Twitter handle he can use. There is even an official YouTube channel he can use to reach out.

And as I've pointed out there are all of the broadcast networks that will donate time for a prime time address to the people.

They are all already created and all at his disposal.

This was an unnecessary step that will turn into yet another unnecessary distraction. Another avenue for him to be a bully instead of using the Bully Pulpit.

And as for the media having it out for him....thats no different than what any Republican President has had to endure for as long as either one of us have been alive.

Get back to me on it being different with Trump when he has his "fake but accurate" moment with a network anchor. So far he's been the one acting that way towards other Republicans.

And a lot of this scorn from the media he's brought on himself with his unprovoked twitter attacks. I've said since the beginning they would come back to bite him in the ass and they are.

Doesn't matter if it was Trump or Obama that did something like this it's wrong no matter who does it.

Only thing that would be different is that if it were Big Ears or Cankles doing this the people defending Trump right now would be outraged.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2017, 06:01:15 pm »
Nor do I!  I hope it proves to be an effective method of breaking through the media filter!

Very true. This wouldn't be happening if you didn't have the media stonewall only letting out the narrative they want Americans to see.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2017, 06:15:12 pm »
If Trump wanted to use an available tool there is an Official FB page and Twitter handle he can use. There is even an official YouTube channel he can use to reach out.

And as I've pointed out there are all of the broadcast networks that will donate time for a prime time address to the people.

This was an unnecessary step that will turn into yet another unnecessary distraction. Another avenue for him to be a bully instead of using the Bully Pulpit.

And as for the media having it out for him....thats no different than what any Republican President has had to endure for as long as either one of us have been alive.

Get back to me on it being different with Trump when he has his "fake but accurate" moment with a network anchor. So far he's been the one acting that way towards other Republicans.

And a lot of this scorn from the media he's brought on himself with his unprovoked twitter attacks. I've said since the beginning they would come back to bite him in the ass and they are.

Doesn't matter if it was Trump or Obama that did something like this it's wrong no matter who does it.

Only thing that would be different is that if it were Big Ears or Cankles doing this the people defending Trump right now would be outraged.

I wish Trump wouldn't tweet.  I think it's unbecoming of a President.  But I don't think it's evil or outrageous. He's using a tool of The Time, just as FDR did.

Surely you don't believe that all Republican presidents got the same media treatment as Trump is receiving.  They took digs at George W. Bush, that's for sure, but nothing like this assault on Trump.  And a lot of people were angry at GWB because he just let it slide.  He was a man of confidence in himself.  Trump is not.  Trump needs affirmation like a vampire needs blood.

And this new thing he's trying is just another way to get his own message out.  It's not illegal, immoral or fattening.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2017, 06:22:09 pm »
I wish Trump wouldn't tweet.  I think it's unbecoming of a President.  But I don't think it's evil or outrageous. He's using a tool of The Time, just as FDR did.

Surely you don't believe that all Republican presidents got the same media treatment as Trump is receiving.  They took digs at George W. Bush, that's for sure, but nothing like this assault on Trump.  And a lot of people were angry at GWB because he just let it slide.  He was a man of confidence in himself.  Trump is not.  Trump needs affirmation like a vampire needs blood.

And this new thing he's trying is just another way to get his own message out.  It's not illegal, immoral or fattening.

It isn't that he tweets, it is how he tweets. His tweets sound like a 12 year old school yard bully or internet troll, not worthy of his office. If anyone with less power did this, they would be in daily lawsuit jeopardy.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2017, 06:24:23 pm »

Exactly what is unbecoming of a President using modern methods of communication to interact directly with the people he serves?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online corbe

« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2017, 06:25:41 pm »

Me, personally, I will defer to @txradioguy ~ this is HIS area of expertise and as he states in his well reasoned points, The WH already has access to twitter, facebook and youtube in an official capacity, why stray off the reservation?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2017, 06:26:43 pm »
It isn't that he tweets, it is how he tweets. His tweets sound like a 12 year old school yard bully or internet troll, not worthy of his office. If anyone with less power did this, they would be in daily lawsuit jeopardy.

I used to frequently write articles for our local newspaper and was taken to task frequently for writing at a level most readers could not comprehend. 

Maybe Trump is on to something!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2017, 06:33:08 pm »

Again...FDR didn't use his own personal radio station.  His broadcasts were over Mutual, NBC, CBS etc.

There is an official twitter account for the POTUS...if he wants to insist on big footing the comms office and sending out his own tweets that is the account he should use.  Not his personal one.

Surely you don't believe that all Republican presidents got the same media treatment as Trump is receiving.

Some of them have had worse.  Kennedy, Kerry, Jim Wright et al openly conspiring with Communists in Russia and El Salvador to undermine Reagan's fight against Communism.  Vernoa files anyone?

How about Pelosi conducting her own foreign policy meetings with Bashir Assad in Syria?

They took digs at George W. Bush, that's for sure, but nothing like this assault on Trump.

Get back to me when CBS or one of the other networks accepts as accurate documents created from whole cloth in order to try and take out a sitting President.

So far the only one spouting fake but accurate crap has been Trump against Ted Cruz.

How about the NY Times purposely revealing our covert operations to root out terrorists on their front pages...ignoring desperate requests from the WH to hold the story because it would dry up valuable information?

Anyone seen Cindy Sheehan lately?  Just sayin.... :whistle:

And a lot of people were angry at GWB because he just let it slide.  He was a man of confidence in himself.

He was wrong for not hitting back at the outrageous lies and just letting them slide.

Trump is not.  Trump needs affirmation like a vampire needs blood.

Hence the reason he started this stupid FB tv "network"...it's all about ego.

It's blatant propaganda that is as beneath him...or should be...as his childish tweets.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2017, 06:34:21 pm »
I used to frequently write articles for our local newspaper and was taken to task frequently for writing at a level most readers could not comprehend. 

Maybe Trump is on to something!

Most writing is at a 6th grade level in publications...if Trump supporters or twitter followers have trouble with that level of reading comprehension that's more of a slam on our current state of education in this country than anything.

Wingnut

« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2017, 06:34:26 pm »

Sue him for what.  Bad grammar. Syntax errors. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2017, 06:35:20 pm »
   Me, personally, I will defer to @txradioguy ~ this is HIS area of expertise and as he states in his well reasoned points, The WH already has access to twitter, facebook and youtube in an official capacity, why stray off the reservation?

Please don't refer to Txradioguy as a media establishment guy.  He's not all that bad.

I just don't get why he, and others, are so upset about this.  It's just another tool at Trump's disposable to get his message across.  I think he will look better with the video thing than with the tweet thing.

He is not a good tweeter but he looks somewhat more presidential in the video.  And, you'll notice I said somewhat.

I'm not touting Trump here, I'm just trying to be as fair to him as I possibly can be.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2017, 06:36:39 pm »
Please don't refer to Txradioguy as a media establishment guy.  He's not all that bad.

I just don't get why he, and others, are so upset about this.  It's just another tool at Trump's disposable to get his message across.  I think he will look better with the video thing than with the tweet thing.

He is not a good tweeter but he looks somewhat more presidential in the video.  And, you'll notice I said somewhat.

I'm not touting Trump here, I'm just trying to be as fair to him as I possibly can be.

My issue with it...as I keep saying is...this was an unnecessary step.  He already has all the tools he needs established and ready to go.

Online corbe

« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2017, 06:40:45 pm »
    In case anybody was wondering how Mary Katharine Ham felt about it.

Trump TV Is Just A Less Artsy Version of Obama’s West Wing Week. Why Is Everyone Shocked By It?

By Mary Katharine Ham   
August 9, 2017

The Trump administration debuted a new video product from Trump Tower this week. Starring Lara Trump, Eric Trump’s wife, and former CNN Commentator Kayleigh McEnany, “Trump TV” touted good economic indicators and threw shade at mainstream media against a red-white-and-blue backdrop marked “Trump.” Two videos, posted to Trump’s personal Facebook page, have garnered millions of views in days.

The object is clear—to use social media, as Trump himself uses Twitter, to talk past a media filter and deliver the Trump line straight to Americans, emphasizing story lines, promises, and accomplishments the Trump administration believes media is missing.

In a twenty-first-century White House, this kind of operation is an expected part of a communications effort—the packaged press releases (and, yes, propaganda) that comes out of a political operation trying to win news cycles and push its point of view.

It has a precedent in the Obama administration’s “West Wing Week,” which was a White House-produced weekly YouTube show about the goings-on and priorities of the Obama administration. This week, there has been much concern about the advent of “Trump TV.” Its arrival was treated as far more insidious, even panic-inducing, than Obama’s similar efforts.

Keith Olbermann called the Facebook show a “prototype for state TV,” meant to “REPLACE” regular news. A journalism professor called it “vile.” There was many a cable news segment built around refuting the Trumpian tagline for “Trump TV,” which calls itself “real news.”

But it’s not much different from “West Wing Week,” except in style. The Obama White House fancied its official videographer more of an auteur, and sure, his work was a slicker version of “Trump TV.” But pretty propaganda is not morally better than the more obvious version. I suppose there’s the possibility of this product someday becoming the “Trump TV” the Trump family was reportedly pondering before the election, which would be very different, but we’re far from that prospect at the moment.

<..snip..>

http://thefederalist.com/2017/08/09/trump-tv-is-just-a-less-artsy-version-of-obamas-west-wing-week-why-is-everyone-shocked-by-it/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2017, 06:41:51 pm »
My issue with it...as I keep saying is...this was an unnecessary step.  He already has all the tools he needs established and ready to go.

I know, I know.  You keep saying it.

But that doesn't make you right.  If he thinks this is a necessary step, let him do it and see how it flies.

I told you it's not illegal, immoral or fattening.  If it was fattening, I'd be objecting also.

You need to save your cogent arguments for a more worthy cause.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2017, 06:44:05 pm »

Trump TV Is Just A Less Artsy Version of Obama’s West Wing Week. Why Is Everyone Shocked By It?

By Mary Katharine Ham   
August 9, 2017

The Trump administration debuted a new video product from Trump Tower this week. Starring Lara Trump, Eric Trump’s wife, and former CNN Commentator Kayleigh McEnany, “Trump TV” touted good economic indicators and threw shade at mainstream media against a red-white-and-blue backdrop marked “Trump.” Two videos, posted to Trump’s personal Facebook page, have garnered millions of views in days.

The object is clear—to use social media, as Trump himself uses Twitter, to talk past a media filter and deliver the Trump line straight to Americans, emphasizing story lines, promises, and accomplishments the Trump administration believes media is missing.

In a twenty-first-century White House, this kind of operation is an expected part of a communications effort—the packaged press releases (and, yes, propaganda) that comes out of a political operation trying to win news cycles and push its point of view.

It has a precedent in the Obama administration’s “West Wing Week,” which was a White House-produced weekly YouTube show about the goings-on and priorities of the Obama administration. This week, there has been much concern about the advent of “Trump TV.” Its arrival was treated as far more insidious, even panic-inducing, than Obama’s similar efforts.

Keith Olbermann called the Facebook show a “prototype for state TV,” meant to “REPLACE” regular news. A journalism professor called it “vile.” There was many a cable news segment built around refuting the Trumpian tagline for “Trump TV,” which calls itself “real news.”

But it’s not much different from “West Wing Week,” except in style. The Obama White House fancied its official videographer more of an auteur, and sure, his work was a slicker version of “Trump TV.” But pretty propaganda is not morally better than the more obvious version. I suppose there’s the possibility of this product someday becoming the “Trump TV” the Trump family was reportedly pondering before the election, which would be very different, but we’re far from that prospect at the moment.

<..snip..>

http://thefederalist.com/2017/08/09/trump-tv-is-just-a-less-artsy-version-of-obamas-west-wing-week-why-is-everyone-shocked-by-it/

Thanks.  I was not wondering what Ms. Hamm thought of this but she does make some good points and reminds us of Obama's similar use of the media.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2017, 06:48:48 pm »

And my argument is that he obviously does NOT have all the tools he needs!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2017, 06:49:28 pm »
I know, I know.  You keep saying it.

But that doesn't make you right.

Except that I am right on this.

If Trump isn't going to use the already available WH assets to get his message tot he people then he needs to disband WACA, and get rid of the staff that maintains the WH social media infrastructure and call it a cost cutting budget measure.

If he thinks this is a necessary step, let him do it and see how it flies.

The thing is no one has the balls to tell him it's a bad idea.  He's not one to have his "brilliance" questioned.

I told you it's not illegal, immoral or fattening.  If it was fattening, I'd be objecting also.

You need to save your cogent arguments for a more worthy cause.

You're making a big assumption right now that there is nothing illegal about this.  There's no telling what kind of ethics violations could be involved.

How is it being funded?  Are their WH staffers involved in the production?  How much influence does the Oval Office or the Press Secretary have over this "newscast"?

No one knows.

But then any that do arise will simply get shouted down as "fake news" so that the uninformed mob who supports Trump is none the wiser as long as they get fed their daily or weekly dose of propaganda.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2017, 06:51:35 pm »

Trump could easily have a weekly televised speech that could be carried by multiple news networks. 7 or 8 PM on Wednesday nights would be ideal. All he needs to do is announce that he will do them and networks will line up to cover them.

Its not like the media could manipulate the speech if its just Trump in the oval office reading a prepared speech with no questions just like Reagan did. In fact pretty much everyone agrees that sticking to prepared speeches is where Trump find approval of the greatest cross section of Americans.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2017, 06:53:18 pm »

By Mary Katharine Ham   
August 9, 2017

<..snip..>

What Ms. Ham and a few people here fail either willfully or otherwise won't address or see is what I bolded.

If this was something that was coming from the already established framework the WH Comms office has set up for getting the Presidents message out...I wouldn't have a problem with it.

But Trump has taken this extraordinary and unnecessary step out of what appears to be a combination of this skin and ego to create Trump TV...which IIRC...a few of his more blind supporters laughed at just a few months ago when it was suggested he would end up doing that.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2017, 06:53:56 pm »
Trump could easily have a weekly televised speech that could be carried by multiple news networks. 7 or 8 PM on Wednesday nights would be ideal. All he needs to do is announce that he will do them and networks will line up to cover them.

Its not like the media could manipulate the speech if its just Trump in the oval office reading a prepared speech with no questions just like Reagan did. In fact pretty much everyone agrees that sticking to prepared speeches is where Trump find approval of the greatest cross section of Americans.

EXACTLY!!!  Thank you!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2017, 06:55:29 pm »
And my argument is that he obviously does NOT have all the tools he needs!

That's crap...they have all the broadcast tools still photography...radio...tv...print journalism...social media...et al anyone could possibly need set up and ready to go the minute POTUS says "I want to address the American public".

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2017, 06:56:12 pm »

How is it being funded?

We should be told this.

Are their WH staffers involved in the production?

If not, what use are they? It's their job to provide timely information about the actions of the administration.

How much influence does the Oval Office or the Press Secretary have over this "newscast"?

A lot, or again, it's a useless exercise.

I can see your point - Trump TV seems nothing more than an ego puffing exercise in self aggrandizement. However, that is not illegal - pending the source of funding being known - and is merely worthy of mocking the man who's position as "the most powerful man in the free world" isn't enough for his ego.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2017, 07:05:47 pm »
That's crap...they have all the broadcast tools still photography...radio...tv...print journalism...social media...et al anyone could possibly need set up and ready to go the minute POTUS says "I want to address the American public".

So you say! From MY perspective you are completely wrong and are a victim of your government training!

WHY should Trump have to go through, and thus unduly enrich, the MSM outlets to get his message out these days?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 07:09:38 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2017, 07:06:50 pm »

Sometimes ... you need a new tool. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Wingnut

« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2017, 07:27:08 pm »

Sometimes you just need a QVC type outlet to hawk your message and sell some stuff that has been piling up in the store rooms.  I bet he has a whole warehouse full of stuff! Besides Trump Vodka and Almost new Trump U Graduation Gowns He is sure to have a bunch of John the Baptist shower curtains from Trump Tower; The World is Coming to an End lawn furniture a few gross of Monogramed St. Peter and Paul Steak Knives.

Cut the goy some slack.  He could go on air Sunday Morning.  Start as a .  Trump's  Church Hour  "Drop kicking evil thu the goal posts of Christ hour.