Author Topic: Down with Internet Gatekeepers!  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Just_Victor

Down with Internet Gatekeepers!
« on: August 08, 2017, 12:40:22 pm »
Long article but a good read.

Source: WattsUpWithThat
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/08/08/down-with-internet-gatekeepers/

The main  Internet gatekeepers and causes for concern are Google (GOOG), Facebook (FB), Twitter (TWTR), and Microsoft (MSFT) – together, GFTM.

Internet Gatekeepers’ Misconduct

Google locked conservative University of Toronto professor Jordan B. Peterson out of all his Google accounts. The probable cause is his dissent with the identity politics of the Left, especially his opposition to the mandatory use of “gender neutral pronouns.”  Daily Caller reported on August 1:

“Please tell me what principle I have violated,” said Peterson in his email to Google upon discovering that he was locked out of his account. “I have not violated any terms that I am aware of and have not misused my account.”  The psychology professor has over 350,000 subscribers on his YouTube channel, which he uses as a platform to post his lectures, interviews, and Q&As. “We understand you’ve recently been unable to access your Google account, and we appreciate you contacting us,” said Google in a response. “After review, your account is not eligible to be reinstated due to a violation of our Terms of Service.”  …

When emailed at his Google address, Google returns an “Address not found” error message. “I’ve had that account for the last, say, 15 years,” said Peterson to TheDCNF. “All of my correspondence is in that account. It’s hundreds of thousands of emails from people all over the world.”

Yes, you read that right.  Google locked not only his YouTube account, but also his email and other services.  There is no reason to think this is a coincidence.  Google refused to publicly comment on its actions.  FSM has blacked out this news.

Most smartphones run on Google’s Android operating system, which receives frequent updates.  Many of us rely on Google Maps navigation. Some of us use Gmail accounts for all our documents (Google Docs), data (GDrive), appointments (Google Calendar), logging into third party websites, and other essential purposes.  Google has the potential to destroy lives.  This is on top of the deceitful Google Search, which has already been discussed (2).

Facebook was caught manually selecting and removing news stories, which it displayed as Trending.  The users were told that the stories were trending among other Facebook viewers and were placed automatically, although the stories were hand-picked by mostly leftist editors.  Later, the editorial team doing selection was laid off, most likely because Facebook has developed algorithms to emulate its choices.

After Hillary Clinton blamed her loss of elections on “fake news,” Facebook joined her and announced a major initiative to suppress “fake news.”  It assembled a group of international “fact checkers” and declared the steps it would take against news disputed by these “fact checkers.”  All of them are left-leaning and accept climate alarmism lies and distortions as facts. Claims such as “settled science” and the 97% meme are touted as truth.  Recently, this censorship system, originally requested by Frau Merkel, has been put in action in the U.S.  Users trying to share stories not liked by the “fact checkers” are told that the story is disputed by 3rd parties (which is false, because the “fact checkers” hand-picked by Facebook are not a 3rd party), and must go through up to four additional steps to share the story (3, 4).  Even worse, Facebook shows some users “related articles” written or suggested by the “fact checkers” (4a).  These actions look like fraud and abuse of monopoly.

Twitter has been shadow banning accounts of non-conforming authors, including our friend Scott Adams, since at least October 2016. See his posts Twitter and Periscope Shadowban Update and Am I Shadowbanned on Twitter?  Adams’ only “controversial” opinions are dissent from climate alarmism and support of Donald Trump.  Shadow banning is an especially nasty way of silencing dissent because neither viewers nor the author are notified of the ban.  The posts are not shown to viewers while the author remains unaware of it.

Twitter is in the business of delivering tweets, just like UPS is in the business of delivering parcels. Shadow banning is the equivalent of UPS accepting parcels then intentionally delaying or disposing of parcels from senders whose religious or political views it does not like.  Even worse, Twitter falsely notifies the senders that the hidden tweets (the stolen parcels) have been delivered, and tells the intended recipients that the sender did not tweet (sent parcels) as they expected. These actions look like theft and fraud.

Twitter has banned several highly visible anti-Left authors (4b).  Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey publicly toyed with the idea to ban President Trump from Twitter.  Nevertheless, the Democratic Party and the media continues calling on him to do it.  “Deputy Chair of the DNC Keith Ellison recently called on Twitter to ban Donald Trump once and for all, joining countless publications who have made the same demand.” (5)

Facebook, Twitter, and Google are monopolies in their respective markets.  They were allowed to achieve and maintain this position through sweetheart deals with the Obama administration.

Microsoft’s Bing Search is no better than Google Search on the climate debate, indicating that Microsoft artificially down-ranked climate realist content.  Microsoft also abuses its screensaver rotation feature to send us leftist political messages.  A couple weeks ago, Microsoft announced “creating a carbon-free headquarters in the Puget Sound region” (6). Microsoft Windows runs our desktops and laptops, and the company can brick most of them with a single update.

Besides being apparently illegal, these actions violate the principle of net neutrality.  All four companies operate network platforms and shall not discriminate against users or content.  Ironically, they violate net neutrality while claiming they fight to protect net neutrality.

more....
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Oceander

Re: Down with Internet Gatekeepers!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 01:33:13 pm »
Perhaps the large social media companies should be directly regulated as public utilities?  The way that ISPs are now regulated. 

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 01:41:02 pm »
Perhaps the large social media companies should be directly regulated as public utilities?  The way that ISPs are now regulated.

I hate the idea of adding government to the mix.  It would be better if they just followed their own rules regarding acceptable content.  Public shaming can probably go a long way toward forcing that.  Beyond that, assuming the agreement is a binding contract, then legal remedies could be sought.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 01:41:14 pm »

Bad idea.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 01:41:54 pm »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 01:45:42 pm »
We have largely the same problem on the internet as we have with the MSM. Fortunately for us there are still ways around the gatekeepers on the internet.  IF you get the government involved I'll assure you that those paths will be closed off in short order.

https://jordanbpeterson.com/
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 01:48:27 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 01:46:50 pm »
There are many alternatives, if one cares to find them. All y'all are making them gatekeepers. Find a different way, and quit supporting them.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 01:53:26 pm »
Why?

Something tells it would open more doors to the Government intrusion on the internet. The reason why we don't have a clear choice in ISP, is really do to Government regulation. If you don't like Google, go to Bing...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 02:23:52 pm »
ISP's are one thing... social media is another. There's literally not one legitimate reason I can think of to regulate social media companies.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 02:32:39 pm »
ISP's are one thing... social media is another.

And search engines are yet a third.  There is, perhaps an argument for regulating them, at least to the extend to requiring transparency.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

• Technical
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 02:35:32 pm »

Something tells it would open more doors to the Government intrusion on the internet. The reason why we don't have a clear choice in ISP, is really do to Government regulation. If you don't like Google, go to Bing...

Exactly.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 02:37:31 pm »
And search engines are yet a third.  There is, perhaps an argument for regulating them, at least to the extend to requiring transparency.

Speaking of which has anyone who uses Microsoft Edge browser figured out how to change the default search engine to something other than Bing?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 02:40:40 pm »
Getting back to the original article... it's a good idea not to use a google (or any free) account to perform business.

For everything else, just make up a fake name. F--- Google.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 02:43:04 pm »
Why?

You want it to be regulated like the Chinese regulate their Internet?  I wonder how long this site would stay up if the Liberals ever gained power again?

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 10:20:46 pm »

We have Antitrust Statutes.

Use them, or even threaten to use them, and watch the about face, just like Trump's stance on illegal immigration.

The Last thing I want is anymore Govt sticking it's regulatory, imminently buyable, snout into Any sector of our lives.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com