Author Topic: Marco Rubio: Trump's immigration bill is 'not going to pass' the Senate  (Read 598 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Marco Rubio: Trump's immigration bill is 'not going to pass' the Senate
Washington Examiner, Aug 7, 3017, Melissa Quinn

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., thinks a new bill implementing a merit-based point system for foreigners seeking legal permanent status will never pass the Senate, even though it has President Trump's backing.

"That bill's not going to pass," told CBS 4 in an interview Sunday. "I think the White House knows that you don't have 60 votes for that in the Senate."

Republican Sens. David Perdue of Georgia and Tom Cotton of Arkansas introduced the bill, called the RAISE Act, last week, when Trump announced his support for the plan. The bill implements a skills-based immigration system that awards points to prospective immigrants based on criteria such as education, fluency in English, age and whether the person has a job offer.

Despite Trump's endorsement, the bill faces hurdles in the Senate, where 60 votes are needed for it to overcome a legislative filibuster. Because Republicans control 52 seats, eight Democrats would need to come out in support of the RAISE Act.

More: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/marco-rubio-trumps-immigration-bill-is-not-going-to-pass-the-senate/article/2630834

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Marco Rubio: Trump's immigration bill is 'not going to pass' the Senate
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 01:04:46 am »
60 votes .... what a nice, convenient wall for conservatives to hide behind. 

Offline Concerned

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 01:50:11 am »
Probably another photo ops versus actual accomplishment from this President.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 02:24:26 am »
But didn't Trump say he makes the best deals?

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 02:27:01 am »
Is there anything more useless than a Republican?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 02:35:37 am »
But didn't Trump say he makes the best deals?

The Art of the DealMaker is once again going to show us all what an absolute fraud he is.

He does the best Con Jobs, next to Obama.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline raml

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 03:04:06 am »
This is a great bill we need more regulations over immigration. It is not much different than the rules used for years before things got out of hand. You use to have to have a sponsor and proof of the ability to support yourself before being allowed in the country my sons mother-in-law had to prove this she came over during the Bush administration so why did it change so suddenly during the Obama administration. I would love to know why this would not pass hopefully the 2018 election will get rid of some of these unpatriotic senators and death hopefully will take one of the worst offenders in the senate who is a rino.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 03:52:50 am »
This is a great bill we need more regulations over immigration. It is not much different than the rules used for years before things got out of hand. You use to have to have a sponsor and proof of the ability to support yourself before being allowed in the country my sons mother-in-law had to prove this she came over during the Bush administration so why did it change so suddenly during the Obama administration. I would love to know why this would not pass hopefully the 2018 election will get rid of some of these unpatriotic senators and death hopefully will take one of the worst offenders in the senate who is a rino.

This is a great bill.  I am not surprised Rubio is the one pouring water on it.  I am glad that Trump is supporting it.  Republicans should get behind this bill.  Americans voted for this.  It was absolutely evident that Immigration control is what Americans want.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 04:03:36 am »
  I am not surprised Rubio is the one pouring water on it.

Blood is thicker than water.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 04:04:30 am »
Wonderful bill, that any real conservative sense should back.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln