Exclusive Content > News

Bullets alone can't solve Alabama's feral hog problem

(1/12) > >>

thackney:
Bullets alone can't solve Alabama's feral hog problem
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/08/alabamas_feral_hog_problem_can.html

Chris Jaworowski is a really good shot with his semiautomatic rifle, and he has plenty of experience hunting hogs.

As a wildife biologist and Regional Extension Agent with the Alabama Cooperative Extension System and former employee of the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, he's one of the foremost experts on feral hog control in Alabama, if not the Southeast.

Still, with all Jaworowski's experience and training, with thousands of dollars worth of specialized equipment, hunting feral pigs in Alabama is not easy.

In the dead of night in rural Autauga County woods, Jaworowski and his partner switch on their thermal night vision scopes -- which cost more than $3,000 each -- from their perch downwind of an empty cornfield where 21 hogs are doing what they do best; rooting around in the dirt, looking for something to eat and ripping up good cropland in the process.

The two experienced marksmen, with the aid of surprise and $7,000 worth of optics, are able to bring down 11 pigs. The other 10 scurry off into the trees to live and breed another day, as shown in the video above...

thackney:
Pictures of damage from the article.  I have had similar damage in my pastures and little bit in the yard.

driftdiver:
I had those living across the street from me.  Then a florida panther moved in.    He took care of the hog problem.

Everyone should get a panther (mountain lion for you northerners)

Free Vulcan:

--- Quote from: driftdiver on August 07, 2017, 05:56:20 pm ---I had those living across the street from me.  Then a florida panther moved in.    He took care of the hog problem.

--- End quote ---

They've taken out a lease here in Iowa. We don't have alot if any feral hogs here, so the farmers are a bit skittish about the cattle.

thackney:

--- Quote from: driftdiver on August 07, 2017, 05:56:20 pm ---I had those living across the street from me.  Then a florida panther moved in.    He took care of the hog problem.

--- End quote ---

I think my rifle will be more selective of hogs versus calves compared to a panther/cougar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version