Author Topic: Bullets alone can't solve Alabama's feral hog problem  (Read 16808 times)

Offline thackney

Bullets alone can't solve Alabama's feral hog problem
« on: August 07, 2017, 05:39:35 pm »
Bullets alone can't solve Alabama's feral hog problem
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/08/alabamas_feral_hog_problem_can.html

Chris Jaworowski is a really good shot with his semiautomatic rifle, and he has plenty of experience hunting hogs.

As a wildife biologist and Regional Extension Agent with the Alabama Cooperative Extension System and former employee of the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, he's one of the foremost experts on feral hog control in Alabama, if not the Southeast.

Still, with all Jaworowski's experience and training, with thousands of dollars worth of specialized equipment, hunting feral pigs in Alabama is not easy.

In the dead of night in rural Autauga County woods, Jaworowski and his partner switch on their thermal night vision scopes -- which cost more than $3,000 each -- from their perch downwind of an empty cornfield where 21 hogs are doing what they do best; rooting around in the dirt, looking for something to eat and ripping up good cropland in the process.

The two experienced marksmen, with the aid of surprise and $7,000 worth of optics, are able to bring down 11 pigs. The other 10 scurry off into the trees to live and breed another day, as shown in the video above...

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Re: Bullets alone can't solve Alabama's feral hog problem
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 05:45:26 pm »
Pictures of damage from the article.  I have had similar damage in my pastures and little bit in the yard.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 05:56:20 pm »
I had those living across the street from me.  Then a florida panther moved in.    He took care of the hog problem.

Everyone should get a panther (mountain lion for you northerners)
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 06:08:40 pm »
I had those living across the street from me.  Then a florida panther moved in.    He took care of the hog problem.

They've taken out a lease here in Iowa. We don't have alot if any feral hogs here, so the farmers are a bit skittish about the cattle.
The Republic is lost.

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 07:33:45 pm »

I think my rifle will be more selective of hogs versus calves compared to a panther/cougar.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 07:43:33 pm »
I think my rifle will be more selective of hogs versus calves compared to a panther/cougar.

I grew up in Iowa.   The problem there is that its flat, not Kansas flat but still pretty flat.   Rifles have too much range and could easily hit a farmhouse or cow behind your intended target.

Here in Florida its even flatter, the highest point is about 50ft above sea level.  But there is so much vegetation you're lucky to see the pig let alone have to worry about whats 200 yds away.    When I went hunting the brush was so thick in places you couldnt see your feet.   Made it exciting when a 300 lb hog jumped up about 8 feet away.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 07:53:40 pm »

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 08:11:16 pm »
I grew up in Iowa.   The problem there is that its flat, not Kansas flat but still pretty flat.   Rifles have too much range and could easily hit a farmhouse or cow behind your intended target.

Here in Florida its even flatter, the highest point is about 50ft above sea level.  But there is so much vegetation you're lucky to see the pig let alone have to worry about whats 200 yds away.    When I went hunting the brush was so thick in places you couldnt see your feet.   Made it exciting when a 300 lb hog jumped up about 8 feet away.

Which is why I and my neighbors hunt from raised stands, shooting into the ground with a missed shot.  And we are hunting in our own cleared pastures.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:12:06 pm by thackney »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 09:41:37 pm »

Well, 'cougar', but yeah.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 03:57:28 pm »

Highest elevation in Florida = 345 ft. in the panhandle area.  My property, in central Florida is about a 1/4 mile long and has 30 feet of elevation difference.  Along the Atlantic Coast in Martin County there is even what is called Mt Pisgah, which has an elevation of 57 ft.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 04:04:42 pm »
Highest elevation in Florida = 345 ft. in the panhandle area.  My property, in central Florida is about a 1/4 mile long and has 30 feet of elevation difference.  Along the Atlantic Coast in Martin County there is even what is called Mt Pisgah, which has an elevation of 57 ft.

well now that changes everything

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 04:08:48 pm »
I thought it was interesting information for people who have never been here.  Certainly there are certain parts of the state as you described, but the state does have a wide variety of topography that isn't exactly as you described it.  Glad to pass on the information. :)

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 04:13:12 pm »
I thought it was interesting information for people who have never been here.  Certainly there are certain parts of the state as you described, but the state does have a wide variety of topography that isn't exactly as you described it.  Glad to pass on the information. :)

People come here to shoot hogs, they come here to go to the beaches, they even come here to gamble.   I don't think many come here to climb mountains.

About 2 miles west of where I live there is a blue marker on top of a telephone pole, about 17 feet up.   The sign says in a Cat 5 hurricane the storm surge would be up to that line.

So the 20 feet in elevation change between the coast and my house is important.  But it still would let a carelessly fired bullet go a long way.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 04:21:54 pm »
I didn't comment to start an argument about the topography of Florida.  I just added some information that I thought would clarify some misleading information.  Take a breath, it's not a personal attack on you.

Offline thackney

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 05:21:04 pm »
People come here to shoot hogs, they come here to go to the beaches, they even come here to gamble.   I don't think many come here to climb mountains.

If I decide to become a mountain climber, my goal will be to climb the highest mountain, in Florida.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 06:57:27 pm »
If I decide to become a mountain climber, my goal will be to climb the highest mountain, in Florida.

Bring your walking shoes and bug spray.   Don't need a lunch as its just a short hike.

Now if you want some fun go kayaking in the everglades.   Thats pretty cool.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 06:59:39 pm »
Hah!  Don't forget your oxygen. :)

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 10:19:19 pm »
I was reading back through the article again.  I cannot understand why it's fine to hunt feral pigs but a hunt of feral cats makes people crazy.  Just about every check mark against the pig can be said for feral cats.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 10:30:36 pm »
Along the Atlantic Coast in Martin County there is even what is called Mt Pisgah, which has an elevation of 57 ft.

Naw, now... that ain't right. 57 ft in elevation is not a mountain.
Hell, that ain't hardly a hill even. I've seen manure piles higher than that...

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 10:42:24 pm »
Naw, now... that ain't right. 57 ft in elevation is not a mountain.
Hell, that ain't hardly a hill even. I've seen manure piles higher than that...

Hah, I don't know why it was named that.  Certainly it's not a mountain, but then neither are the Appalachians.  I guess Hill Pisgah or Pile Pisgah just didn't sound right.  We have a town close to us called Mount Dora.  It is on the hilly side, as far as central Florida goes, but they make fun of it themselves by selling shirts to tourists that say "I climbed Mt. Dora."

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 10:43:01 pm »
I was reading back through the article again.  I cannot understand why it's fine to hunt feral pigs but a hunt of feral cats makes people crazy.  Just about every check mark against the pig can be said for feral cats.

Because cats and dogs have been elevated to almost human status in today's society.

From Alabama, we own land, yes hogs are a problem. Yes even in Hill country.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:45:06 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 11:03:40 pm »
Because cats and dogs have been elevated to almost human status in today's society.

That's true.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 11:06:19 pm »

Some animals are more equal than others.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 12:16:13 am »

Me too. Feral cats tear the heck out of local bird populations in particular, and anything else they can catch.
The Republic is lost.