Author Topic: Miles of forgotten first world war trenches unearthed in England  (Read 633 times)

rangerrebew

Miles of forgotten first world war trenches unearthed in England

Ben Quinn

Saturday 5 August 2017 14.37 EDT

The full extent of the networks of trenches and defensive fortifications built in England during the first world war has been revealed in the first major survey of its kind.

Detailing how resources were concentrated along England’s eastern and southern coasts – where the main thrust by an invading German army was expected to come – the study draws on existing periodicals and local history as well as LiDAR (Light Detection And Ranging) data gleaned from the use of lasers by the Environment Agency to plot the bumps and dips of British topography.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/05/miles-of-forgotten-trenches-dug-in-england-during-first-world-war-unearthed-again

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Miles of forgotten first world war trenches unearthed in England
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 06:50:09 pm »
Sparked a random thought - there's a fair few miles of WW1 trenches in the USA too, especially at Ft. Dix. Training trenches, dug by each group - Pershing insisted on serious and comprehensive training for his lads.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
Re: Miles of forgotten first world war trenches unearthed in England
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 03:30:51 am »
Wow, just how far did Jerry get before we had to go over and save their bacon?  ;)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert