Author Topic: Bonhoeffer on Stupidity  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Bonhoeffer on Stupidity
« on: August 04, 2017, 03:14:37 pm »
This is such a gem, I thought I should share it with my fellow TBRers.

...‘Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. One may protest against evil; it can be exposed and, if need be, prevented by use  of force. Evil always carries within itself the germ of its own subversion in that it leaves behind in human beings  at least a sense of unease. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed- in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. In all this the stupid person, in contrast to the malicious one, is utterly self-satisfied and, being easily irritated, becomes dangerous by going on the attack. For that reason, greater caution is called for than with a malicious one. Never again will we try to persuade the stupid person with reasons, for it is senseless and dangerous.

‘If we want to know how to get the better of stupidity, we must seek to understand its nature. This much is certain, that it is in essence not an intellectual defect but a human one. There are human beings who are of remarkably agile intellect yet stupid, and others who are intellectually quite dull yet anything but stupid. We discover this to our surprise in particular situations. The impression one gains is not so much that stupidity is a congenital defect, but that, under certain circumstances, people are made stupid or that they allow this to happen to them. We note further that people who have isolated themselves from others or who lives in solitude manifest this defect less frequently than individuals or groups of people inclined or condemned to sociability. And so it would seem that stupidity is perhaps less a psychological than a sociological problem...Link below to read the rest.

https://religiousgrounds.wordpress.com/2016/05/11/bonhoeffer-on-stupidity-entire-quote/

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Bonhoeffer on Stupidity
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 03:10:20 am »
bookmark
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 03:49:41 am »
This is such a gem, I thought I should share it with my fellow TBRers.

Mr Bonhoeffer was a sharp dude!

“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless.
Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act."

Deitrich Bonhoeffer
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 06:02:16 am »
“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless.
Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act."

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

I think in the times we find ourselves, God would be told to shut up and vote the lesser of evils, or be held guilty of being an enemy of the good.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 01:39:14 pm »
I think in the times we find ourselves, God would be told to shut up and vote the lesser of evils, or be held guilty of being an enemy of the good.

Invar, you're really on a roll this morning.  Tweak the ETs any and every way that you can? 

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 01:54:18 pm »
I would rather be a little off than a little moron.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 02:29:10 pm »
@INVAR

"We note further that people who have isolated themselves from others or who lives in solitude manifest this defect less frequently than iindividuals or groups of people inclined or condemned to sociability. And so it would seem that stupidity is perhaps less a psychological than a sociological problem..."

In a group, it is easier to accept the majority opinion and claim that as your own.  It is also easier to accept an individual opinion of someone else as your own.

If you mainly are by yourself, you have to think to develop your own opinion.  So, we have thinkers and joiners as the above states.  The majority of people take the easy way - thinking is harder so they don't do it.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 02:47:41 pm »
@INVAR

"We note further that people who have isolated themselves from others or who lives in solitude manifest this defect less frequently than iindividuals or groups of people inclined or condemned to sociability. And so it would seem that stupidity is perhaps less a psychological than a sociological problem..."

In a group, it is easier to accept the majority opinion and claim that as your own.  It is also easier to accept an individual opinion of someone else as your own.

If you mainly are by yourself, you have to think to develop your own opinion.  So, we have thinkers and joiners as the above states.  The majority of people take the easy way - thinking is harder so they don't do it.

It extends into all parts of their lives. Zero work ethic. Moral turpitude. I go fishing by myself all the time. A lot of that isn't to catch fish. It is so I can listen to myself. To try and get that guy jumping on the backseat in my head to sit down and shut up.