Author Topic: Larry Elder: Trump? What About the 'Chaos' in the Clinton White House?  (Read 678 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Trump? What About the 'Chaos' in the Clinton White House?
Larry Elder
Posted: Aug 03, 2017 12:01 AM
Trump? What About the 'Chaos' in the Clinton White House?

In a newspaper piece about a White House in turmoil, a prominent paper described an atmosphere of beleaguered aides confused by their unscripted boss, a man who needed a "rudder on what many believed was a loose and listing ship."

This is not from a recent piece about President Donald Trump's White House. The Washington Post, in 1997, wrote this about President Bill Clinton and the state of his presidency in mid-1994. The White House staff, wrote the Post, "was suffering from what increasingly looked to be callowness and naivete." Enter veteran congressman and new chief of staff Leon Panetta, who learned, as he put it, that "no one had an organizational chart." He added, "As far as I know, anybody who walked down the hall walked in (to the Oval Office)." Clinton, whose approval ratings were at one time about as bad as Trump's, went on to an easy re-election.

Continued: https://townhall.com/columnists/larryelder/2017/08/03/trump-what-about-the-chaos-in-the-clinton-white-house-n2363649

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Larry Elder: Trump? What About the 'Chaos' in the Clinton White House?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 06:22:29 pm »
Chaos of 20 years ago.

Way to stay relevant.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 07:20:13 pm »
The difference is that Clinton I think can change... not his behavior but at least he ironed out some of the chaos. I don't see Trump changing. If he would, then he might have a shot at reelection.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 01:38:39 pm »
I was surprised Mr. Elder didn't mention that, once Bob Dolt became the Republican presidential
nominee for 1996 (for no greater reason than it was merely his time), Droopy Drawers
Clinton could have run on a dry cleaning ticket and won re-election no matter how chaotic his
White House, no matter how insufferable his policies.

Beyond that, he's flexed just another exercise in whataboutism of the kind he himself once
rejected.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 01:39:13 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 01:43:07 pm »

Beyond that, he's flexed just another exercise in whataboutism of the kind he himself once
rejected.

And the worst part is that as soon as its a democrat again, he'll shamelessly shift back to screaming bloody murder as if he had never abandoned his principles in the first place.

Silver Pines

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 02:53:37 pm »
Elders doesn't want to do any better than a two-decades old Democratic administration?  His standards are so low?

Pathetic.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 03:08:41 pm »
he's flexed just another exercise in whataboutism of the kind he himself once rejected.

These days, Larry's show is pretty much all whataboutism / tu quoque. At one time he was my favorite talk show host. Sad.  **nononono*

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 04:09:33 pm »
These days, Larry's show is pretty much all whataboutism / tu quoque. At one time he was my favorite talk show host. Sad.  **nononono*
When I lived in southern California, Elder was my regular radio listening driving home from work. Once in a blue
moon I'd call in on a topic and he was the essence of intelligence and sensibility who never let something like
whataboutism interfere with the matter at hand. It's a shame that he, too, has devolved to the whatabout
argument that's really a kind of third cousin to throwing down "haters" at people for no reason better than that
they disagree with someone.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 10:42:37 pm »
The difference is that Clinton I think can change... not his behavior but at least he ironed out some of the chaos. I don't see Trump changing. If he would, then he might have a shot at reelection.
Clinton was nothing if not the ultimate opportunist.  He kept his finger in the wind at all times to change course if necessary. If it meant slamming Sistah Soldjah (or whatever her name was) to get conservative voters, he would do so.
Trump is nothing like Slick Willie.   Trump lives in Trump World.  Only Trump's thoughts count.  He is unable to still his tongue (or fingers) and pipe down when necessary. He might say something conservative one day, and the next day (or hour) say something 180 degrees opposite.  But thinking deliberately has nothing to do with it...it's just whatever pops into his head at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:43:20 pm by goatprairie »

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 10:49:14 pm »
When I lived in southern California, Elder was my regular radio listening driving home from work. Once in a blue
moon I'd call in on a topic and he was the essence of intelligence and sensibility who never let something like
whataboutism interfere with the matter at hand. It's a shame that he, too, has devolved to the whatabout
argument that's really a kind of third cousin to throwing down "haters" at people for no reason better than that
they disagree with someone.
We knew we'd get this "whataboutism" when we nominated the thoroughly undisciplined Trump. The people who championed him should have known that if he got elected, he'd be subjected to a constant attack because of his chaotic actions.
So  instead of defending and championing conservative actions, those conservatives, like Elder, now spend their time whining and pointing fingers at similar Dem admins who acted like Trump.  Not the right way to run a railroad.