Author Topic: American Conservatism, 1945-2017  (Read 281 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
American Conservatism, 1945-2017
« on: August 04, 2017, 02:02:06 pm »

American Conservatism, 1945-2017
Column: What it's like to teach conservatism

BY: Matthew Continetti
August 4, 2017 5:00 am

I've spent the last two weeks teaching a course on the history of the conservative intellectual movement for the Hertog political studies program. This is the second year Hertog has offered the course, and the first time under President Trump. I like to joke that I offered the students, all of whom were intelligent, well spoken, and impressive, a complete story. There was a beginning, middle, and end.

If, as Alfred North Whitehead said, the history of philosophy is a series of footnotes to Plato, then the history of intellectual conservatism in America is a series of influences on the mind of William F. Buckley Jr. We spent the first week reading the thinkers behind National Review: classical liberals such as F.A. Hayek and Milton Friedman, traditionalists such as Richard Weaver and Russell Kirk, the majoritarian constitutionalist Willmoore Kendall, and anti-Communists Whittaker Chambers and, perhaps most important of all, James Burnham. All of these strains of thought are visible in Buckley's statement of principles in the first National Review, published in the autumn of 1955.

more
http://freebeacon.com/columns/american-conservatism-1945-2017/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Re: American Conservatism, 1945-2017
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 02:23:56 pm »
We already know the end of the story.  It's the beginning and the middle which need some clarification.