Author Topic: Trump endorses new immigration bill to cut green-card limits, favor English speakers  (Read 493 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Trump endorses new immigration bill to cut green-card limits, favor English speakers
Washington Times, Aug 2, 2017

President Trump threw his support Wednesday behind a Senate bill that would cut legal immigration in half and implement a new merit-based system that emphasis English-speaking immigrants who can demonstrate job skills.

Meeting at the White House with GOP Sens. David Perdue of Georgia and Tom Cotton of Arkansas, the bill’s sponsors, the president said the revised legislation “would represent the most significant reform to our immigration system in half a century.”

The measure, known as the RAISE Act, “will reduce poverty, increase wages and save taxpayers billions and billions of dollars,” Mr. Trump said.

The legislation would slash legal immigration in half, to 500,000 per year, over the next decade. The senators said it would replace the current permanent employment-visa framework with a skills-based system that rewards applicants based on their individual merits.

Mr. Cotton said the current immigration system is “an obsolete disaster” in which only 1 immigrant in 15 comes to the U.S. because of their job skills.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/aug/2/trump-backs-immigration-bill-cut-green-card-limits/

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
They mean "Java-coding" instead of "English speaking". 
Countdown to Resignation

Online Right_in_Virginia

Trump, senators unveil bill to slash legal immigration to U.S.
Reuters, Aug 2, 2017

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump and two Republican senators on Wednesday unveiled a plan at the White House to half the number of legal immigrants to the United States eventually and favor newcomers who speak English.

Trump threw his support behind a bill developed by senators Tom Cotton of Arkansas and David Perdue of Georgia that they say would cut legal immigration by 50 percent over 10 years by reducing the kinds of relatives immigrants can bring into the country. The legislation faces an uphill climb to get through Congress.

"This competitive application process will favor applicants who can speak English, financially support themselves and their families and demonstrate skills that will contribute to our economy," Trump said.

Trump and the Republican lawmakers blasted the current immigration system as out of date and argued that it hurts American workers by driving down wages.

"The reforms ... will help ensure that newcomers to our wonderful country will be assimilated, will succeed and will achieve the American dream," Trump said.

Under the new bill, the United States would prioritize high-skilled immigrants by setting up a merits-based system similar to those used by Canada and Australia.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-immigration-idUSKBN1AI1ZU

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
This bill is supposed to also eliminate family chain migration and encourage assimilation.  Cutting back isn't going to solve squat.  The entire system has to be shut down and a moratorium placed on ALL migration until we have a valid system system in place making sure those here have assimilated and a system to track those coming into this country, completely banning immigration from areas of known terrorism and finally building a wall.  Perhaps most importantly, continue to DEPORT those that are here illegally!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

HonestJohn

The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
MOTHER OF EXILES. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

---

The Germans, Swedes, Poles, Slavs, Italians, etc... who all immigrated here didn't come speaking English.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 10:00:03 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Gee whiz.  I wonder if this will increase the pressure to illegally immigrate or decrease the pressure? :pondering:

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Gee whiz.  I wonder if this will increase the pressure to illegally immigrate or decrease the pressure? :pondering:

If they can't work they will not come.  Be serious about enforcing labor laws on businesses that hire illegals.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.