Author Topic: Republicans wonder: Can we govern?  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: Republicans wonder: Can we govern?
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2017, 06:23:14 pm »
I know this is an unpopular opinion, but enacting a transformational agenda with a mere two vote margin in the Senate is virtually impossible.

Not unpopular with me.  Democrats might be able to do it because they seem better able to corral the troops.

Republicans, by nature, are more independent.  A two-vote margin, when you can already figure how who the defectors will be is not enough.  I was really hoping we could increase that margin in 2018.  There are only 8 Republican senatorial seats in play and I haven't checked out what democrat senators are having to run for re-election.

I'm hoping that by 2018, some of the chaos will have abated and the clouds will clear enough to see that Trump has made some progress and needs more and better Republicans to further his stated agenda.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2017, 06:40:00 pm »
It looks like there are 8 states with Dem senators in fairly close elections.  If we could pick up 3 or 4 of those and retain all the current Republican seats, it would really help.

Indiana
Missouri
New Mexico
Ohio
Wisconsin
Virginia
Pennsylvania
North Dakota
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2017, 06:42:23 pm »
It's a good thing we weren't having these debates back when Reagan was elected...no one here would have given him a chance to get his agenda pushed through.

The leadership in getting things done needs to start at the top...in an oval office in a big white house located at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.  His agenda for changing things...getting tax relief...securing the border growing the military again etc needs to be the agenda that Congress is pushing.

But without a steady and firm hand from the top they are going to wander off and do their own thing over on Capitol Hill...just like they're doing now.

Used to be when Congress was stalling or slow rolling the President's agenda he'd call the leadership together in his office and tell them to get their act together.

That needs to happen again...then we wouldn't have the Republicans wondering if they can govern...they'd already know the answer.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2017, 06:48:55 pm »
Not unpopular with me.  Democrats might be able to do it because they seem better able to corral the troops.

The democrats are able to do that because they will brook NO dissension from the ranks and will do whatever it takes to make it stick!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2017, 06:50:30 pm »
It's a good thing we weren't having these debates back when Reagan was elected...no one here would have given him a chance to get his agenda pushed through.

The leadership in getting things done needs to start at the top...in an oval office in a big white house located at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.  His agenda for changing things...getting tax relief...securing the border growing the military again etc needs to be the agenda that Congress is pushing.

But without a steady and firm hand from the top they are going to wander off and do their own thing over on Capitol Hill...just like they're doing now.

Used to be when Congress was stalling or slow rolling the President's agenda he'd call the leadership together in his office and tell them to get their act together.

That needs to happen again...then we wouldn't have the Republicans wondering if they can govern...they'd already know the answer.

The most potent thing he can do is sit down with them, and tell them he will not only put primary opponents against them, but run and fund his own candidates in the primarys where the Dem has the seat, while he publicly hammers away at them every day.
The Republic is lost.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2017, 06:54:52 pm »
The most potent thing he can do is sit down with them, and tell them he will not only put primary opponents against them, but run and fund his own candidates in the primarys where the Dem has the seat, while he publicly hammers away at them every day.

Not just any primary opponent....a conservative opponent.

If he doesn't make the distinction when he talks to them you'll have a situation like is going on Alabama where you have a Conservative and a Mitch McConnell favorite with Senate slush fund money fighting for the same spot.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

HonestJohn

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2017, 07:01:26 pm »
As long as Republicans only negoitate amongst themselves for legislation. they will only craft legislation that satisfies the majority of Republicans in Congress.

Not all Republicans.

And that guarantees failure.

The only way to pass legislation is to negotiate with some Democrats so that the legislation crafted picks up enough extra votes to counteract those lost.

That's it.  That's all there is to it.

It'll infuriate the Freedom Caucus, though.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2017, 07:03:24 pm »
Not just any primary opponent....a conservative opponent.

If he doesn't make the distinction when he talks to them you'll have a situation like is going on Alabama where you have a Conservative and a Mitch McConnell favorite with Senate slush fund money fighting for the same spot.

First thing I'd do is give open support to Judge Moore, and fund him as a shot across McConman's bow.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2017, 07:06:23 pm »
First thing I'd do is give open support to Judge Moore, and fund him as a shot across McConman's bow.

THAT would be a really cool move and would send a signal that he is DEADLY serious!  I wish it would happen but seriously doubt it will.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2017, 07:12:47 pm »

@Free Vulcan @Bigun

He'd have been a great choice.  But right now the fight for Sessions old seat is between Mo Brooks and the former AG of Alabama who is being funded by McConnell.  And Turtle is up to his old tricks again like he did against Matt Bevin and Chris McDaniel in 2014.  He's made it known that any consulting or advertising firm that does business with Mo Brooks will be blacklisted from future business with the GOP.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:13:23 pm by txradioguy »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2017, 07:18:22 pm »
@Free Vulcan @Bigun

He'd have been a great choice.  But right now the fight for Sessions old seat is between Mo Brooks and the former AG of Alabama who is being funded by McConnell.  And Turtle is up to his old tricks again like he did against Matt Bevin and Chris McDaniel in 2014.  He's made it known that any consulting or advertising firm that does business with Mo Brooks will be blacklisted from future business with the GOP.

My bad, I thought Moore was well ahead of Brooks in polling. Brooks seems pretty decent too.
The Republic is lost.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2017, 07:22:06 pm »
My bad, I thought Moore was well ahead of Brooks in polling. Brooks seems pretty decent too.

Acctually I should apologize to you...I didn't realize Judge Moore was even in the race.  I thought it was just Mo Brooks and Luther Strange.

Maybe AG Sessions can appoint Judge Moore to head the Civil Rights Division at Justice.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:27:40 pm by txradioguy »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2017, 07:22:54 pm »
@Free Vulcan @Bigun

I just checked again and it looks like Roy Moore is still in it to me.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2017, 07:28:23 pm »
I just checked again and it looks like Roy Moore is still in it to me.

Yeah he is.  Last report or story I heard on the race only mentioned Strange and Brooks.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2017, 10:46:25 pm »
I guess that would depend on what our Vichy Republicans GOPE - rather than Conservative - end game is.

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2017, 01:49:25 am »
The question:
"Republicans wonder: Can we govern?"

The answer:
Of course they could. But they choose not to.

... and, come 2018, they're going to pay for that choice.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2017, 01:52:05 am »
Maj. Bill wrote:
"I know this is an unpopular opinion, but enacting a transformational agenda with a mere two vote margin in the Senate is virtually impossible."

No sir, I disagree.

If it was the democrat/communists holding but a "two-vote margin", they'd crack the whip of party loyalty and push their "transformational agenda" right through.

Just like they did with obamacare.