Author Topic: News 5 Investigates: Police planned to sell crime victim's car at auction instead of returning it [CO]  (Read 410 times)

Offline Suppressed

News 5 Investigates: Police planned to sell crime victim's car at auction instead of returning it
Posted: Jul 24, 2017 11:13 PM EDT
Updated: Jul 24, 2017 11:13 PM EDT
Written By Eric Ross
http://www.koaa.com/story/35960936/news-5-investigatespolice-planned-to-sell-crime-victims-car-at-auction-instead-of-returning-it

A Pueblo couple's car was stolen in June and later recovered by Colorado Springs police officers.

According to records obtained by the I-TEAM, Mary and Clyde Antrim's Ford Crown Victoria sat in a police impound lot for more than a month---eventually racking up fees. 

The couple says cops never called them to pick up their car. Instead, News 5 Investigates discovered police planned to sell it at an auction.

Colorado Springs police have nothing to say on camera about this case, but Mary Antrim is talking after she says police would not give her car back or answer her phone calls.

When she found out her car was going to be sold at auction, she called News 5 Investigates for help.

The couple's car was stolen back on June 1 in the 1700 block of E. 9th Street in Pueblo.

The car was later recovered 45 miles away in Colorado Springs following an aggravated robbery at Dillard's on Briargate Blvd.

"They (police) told me it was involved in a robbery and that it was being held for evidence and that's all I was told," Mary said.

That information was give to Mary on June 5---more than a month ago!

"I've called them (police) every week to find out where the car is at and what's going on with the car," Mary said. "No one has called me back."

"It is the policy of the Colorado Springs Police Department that victims of crimes whose vehicles are towed as part of the criminal investigation will not be charged tow/impound storage fees while at the Impound facility," Sgt. Garza wrote via email.

Yet we found the department wanted to charge Mary $178 to get her car back.

"I need my car for my doctors appointments that I have to go to," Mary said. "That's my transportation and I'm 80 years old and I'd like to have my car back so I can do what I have to do."

News 5 Investigates contacted Colorado Springs police on July 11th. The next day, Colorado Springs police called Mary and told her they would waive all impound fees and release her vehicle.

Excerpt.  Read more and see video at link.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

From the video, it looks like a Korean War veteran and his wife.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Looks like fraud and attempted grand theft auto. Someone needs to go to jail.
The Republic is lost.