Author Topic: What Is normal? What Is Abnormal? Who Decides?  (Read 821 times)

rangerrebew

What Is normal? What Is Abnormal? Who Decides?
« on: July 31, 2017, 08:23:22 am »
July 31, 2017
What Is normal? What Is Abnormal? Who Decides?
By Robert Arvay

Now that President Trump has declared that so-called "transgender" persons are unfit for military service, the radical left is bringing out its (yawn) big guns.  In other words, it is playing the same broken record.  If you disagree, then it can only be because you are a bigot.  There can be no other reason.  Neither morality, nor honest philosophical differences, nor even military effectiveness can possibly, no, not even remotely, be attributed as valid reasons to challenge the leftist dogma.

Let's go over a few sober facts.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2017/07/what_is_normal_what_is_abnormal_who_decides.html#ixzz4oOaj5OpZ
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Offline endicom

Re: What Is normal? What Is Abnormal? Who Decides?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 12:07:09 pm »
Who Decides?

I do and don't you freaks forget it.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 01:35:48 pm »
Actually, "who decides?" is an interesting question.  What R. Emmett Tyrell in The American Spectator likes to call "the kultursmog" seems to be self-organizing.  No one in particular seems to have decided that the contrafactual belief that you are the opposite sex from that easily observable in your outward morphology and with microscopic examination observable in your genetics is to be treated differently from all other delusions, not treated as a sign of mental illness, but coddled by the rest of society pretending your delusion is true, supported with hormone injections and surgery to turn you into a simulacrum of what you purport to be, but are not.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 07:16:11 pm »
I took a sign language class for a few weeks many years ago (forgot most of it) and was introduced  a little to deaf culture. What upset me was finding out that many deaf parents want their children to be deaf as well.
These parents were immersed in the deaf world and culture and didn't want their their children to be different from them.  I don't know what the percentages of those parents are, but it really made me mad to know there are parents who want their own children to be handicapped. Yeah, I said it.
In my class was one young man who was a paraplegic from a fall while rock climbing. He openly stated his objection to deaf parents wanting deaf children.  As a paraplegic who didn't want to be one he couldn't imagine parents wanting children who had a disability because they had one.
Unfortunately, we are living in a world where people who either have a mental disorder or who are mentally ill  are being catered to and their mental problems enabled.  Put me down as a person who highly objects to this enabling.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:01:42 pm by goatprairie »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 07:34:24 pm »
What is taken for normal today even 25 years ago would have been considered flaky or fringe or even predatory. Go back 50 years and what is normal today would have probably been committed to an institution. The societal goalposts have moved quite a bit.
The Republic is lost.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 07:36:38 pm »
What is taken for normal today even 25 years ago would have been considered flaky or fringe or even predatory. Go back 50 years and what is normal today would have probably been committed to an institution. The societal goalposts have moved quite a bit.

Sometimes that's good, sometimes it's bad. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 08:41:15 pm »
It's not that difficult. 

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 12:08:54 pm »
This writer points out the absurdity of all this trans business:
Sexual Orientation is Fixed, but Gender’s Completely Fluid. And 2 + 2 = 5.
By Joseph Sciambra Published on July 31, 2017

As I wrote in Part One of this series, the theory that gays are “born this way” is not the fruit of science. It’s a political orthodoxy enforced by media, pressure groups, and increasingly the government. It stands in stark and strange contrast to what those same groups want us to think about being male and female. We’re not born that way. “Gender” is fluid and shifting, but “sexual orientation” is fixed.

According to The Human Rights Campaign:
    Children are not born knowing what it means to be a boy or a girl; they learn it from their parents, older children and others around them. This learning process begins early. As soon as the doctor announces — based on observing the newborn’s external sex organs — “it’s a boy” or “it’s a girl,” the world around a child begins to teach these lessons.

Sex Is Fluid, Desire Is Fixed

But on homosexuality, we’re ordered to believe that the opposite is true. One is born with homosexual preferences. Sexual orientation is not determined by family or social pressures. But gender is. According to transgender theories, for some people “their own internal gender identity does not match the sex they were assigned at birth.”

Are you writing all this down? It will be on the test.

So if current “science” is right … Let’s see what that would mean. I know I was born a man. Activists tell me that I was “born gay.” What if I’m dissatisfied with that? You know, as transgender people are unhappy with their assigned gender? Am I allowed to try to change it? No, they say. Sexual orientation, unlike gender, “is predetermined and unchangeable.” Any therapy aimed at altering it is unethical and should be illegal.  ...
Rest of article
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 12:11:43 pm »
Actually, "who decides?" is an interesting question.  What R. Emmett Tyrell in The American Spectator likes to call "the kultursmog" seems to be self-organizing.  No one in particular seems to have decided that the contrafactual belief that you are the opposite sex from that easily observable in your outward morphology and with microscopic examination observable in your genetics is to be treated differently from all other delusions, not treated as a sign of mental illness, but coddled by the rest of society pretending your delusion is true, supported with hormone injections and surgery to turn you into a simulacrum of what you purport to be, but are not.

I would say the One who made the original design gets to decide what is normal and abnormal.  He is pretty clear on what He thinks....
God is still in control

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 05:35:07 pm »
I once had a therapist who told me "normal" is a setting on a washing machine.

We all have our quirks and idiocrincacies. That is what makes us human.

Frankly, I like marching to a different drummer.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 05:45:52 pm »

But at least you recognize that there is a "norm".  Whether or not you choose to follow that norm is a different question.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 05:59:17 pm »

"Frankly, I like marching to a different drummer."

Nothing wrong with that....it's just when certain people start claiming the really weird things they do  are normal.  Consenting adults are free to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't harm chilldren or other people.  But when they try to convince or force everybody else to believe the weird things they do are normal, that's when I get upset.
Otherwise, I don't care what they do.