Author Topic: Trump on tricky legal ground with 'Obamacare' threat  (Read 381 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Trump on tricky legal ground with 'Obamacare' threat
« on: August 01, 2017, 04:10:43 pm »
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump's threat to stop billions of dollars in government payments to insurers and force the collapse of "Obamacare" could put the government in a tricky legal situation.

Legal experts say he'd be handing insurers a solid court case, while undermining his own leverage to compel Democrats to negotiate, especially if premiums jump by 20 percent as expected after such a move.

"Trump thinks he's holding all the cards. But Democrats know what's in his hand, and he's got a pair of twos," said University of Michigan law professor Nicholas Bagley. Democrats "aren't about to agree to dismantle the Affordable Care Act just because Trump makes a reckless bet."

For months, the president has been threatening to stop payments that reimburse insurers for providing required financial assistance to low-income consumers, reducing their copays and deductibles.

Administration officials say the decision could come any day.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-tricky-legal-ground-obamacare-071303565.html

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Just_Victor

Re: Trump on tricky legal ground with 'Obamacare' threat
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 04:56:27 pm »
Except that IIRC some substantial amount of the payouts to the insurance companies was issued by an 0bama executive order.

Trump is certainly acting within his authority by cancelling a previous EO.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Trump on tricky legal ground with 'Obamacare' threat
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 05:33:07 pm »
Trump should most definitely revoke subsidization for Congress, while holding back on the rest for leverage.
The Republic is lost.