Author Topic: Report: New White House Chief Of Staff Believes He Has Convinced Trump To Give Up On Border Wall  (Read 1059 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Report: New White House Chief Of Staff Believes He Has Convinced Trump To Give Up On Border Wall

Eric Owens
Education Editor
6:37 PM 07/31/2017

New White House Chief of Staff John F. Kelly believes he has convinced President Donald Trump to abandon his pledge to construct a large and lengthy wall along the border separating the United States and Mexico, according to The New Yorker.

At a private meeting in tony Aspen, Colorado, two weeks ago, Kelly told a group of high-profile attendees that he had extensively discussed the border wall issue with Trump. Kelly believes he persuaded Trump to abandon his policy goal of erecting a lengthy wall along the 1,954-mile border which the United States shares with Mexico, according to The New Yorker.

Instead of a wall, Kelly said he suggested Trump could utilize a combination of complex monitoring equipment, continuous air surveillance and many miles of fencing can effectively secure the U.S.-Mexico border.

more
http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/31/report-new-white-house-chief-of-staff-believes-he-has-convinced-trump-to-give-up-on-border-wall/?utm_campaign=atdailycaller&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

As if Trump needed much persuading.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
No healthcare.  No wall.  No votes.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Instead of a wall, Kelly said he suggested Trump could utilize a combination of complex monitoring equipment, continuous air surveillance and many miles of fencing can effectively secure the U.S.-Mexico border.

How about a 1,954 mile line of solar panels?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Applewood

Trump has made no effort to fulfill the promises he made to the voters who voted for him.  He prefers to leave these matters to others -- congress especially -- so when things don't get done, he can blame them.

And Trump's supporters will continue to believe his excuses and accusations because they have no minds of their own.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Nobody has done more to solve illegal immigration than President Trump and his good buddy Jeff Sessions
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,274406.0.html
DOJ Unapologetically Using Term 'Illegal Alien'

Trump fans should be grateful.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Nope.

I don't believe this at all. There is no way possible under the sun that Trump will give up building his wall. Trump is builder. That's what he does. He wants to build the wall for the sake of building it. It will be his legacy. It will be his ultimate monument.

As a side item it might keep illegals out too. But that's not the main point.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Trump has made no effort to fulfill the promises he made to the voters who voted for him.  He prefers to leave these matters to others -- congress especially -- so when things don't get done, he can blame them.

And Trump's supporters will continue to believe his excuses and accusations because they have no minds of their own.

ahhh bullpucky
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline skeeter

According to the New Yorker, who quote "several sources",

"Kelly explained that he had spent a great deal of time talking through the issue with Trump, and he believed he had convinced the President that he didn’t actually need to build a physical wall along the entire nineteen-hundred-mile-long border between the United States and Mexico. Instead, the use of sophisticated monitoring technology, air surveillance, and fencing could secure the border with what Trump could start calling a “barrier.”

Just putting the issue in a more reasonable context.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Trump is builder. That's what he does.

No, he's a brander.  Many properties are built and maintained by other developers.  He licenses his name for a fee or percentage.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

No, he's a brander.  Many properties are built and maintained by other developers.  He licenses his name for a fee or percentage.
The TacoBell Chipotle National Southern Border Wall will be the BEST licensed wall you have ever seen.  Believe me.

Offline Applewood

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

??? Leave the matters to Congress?  Last time I checked the President has to get approval from Congress to spend money; they hold the purse strings. President Trump several months ago asked for bids from various different companies/builders for the wall.  Congress FAILED to include $$ for a border wall other than to make repairs to the the existing border wall, and FAILED to include $$ for any future, additional wall.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
According to the New Yorker, who quote "several sources",

"Kelly explained that he had spent a great deal of time talking through the issue with Trump, and he believed he had convinced the President that he didn’t actually need to build a physical wall along the entire nineteen-hundred-mile-long border between the United States and Mexico. Instead, the use of sophisticated monitoring technology, air surveillance, and fencing could secure the border with what Trump could start calling a “barrier.”

Just putting the issue in a more reasonable context.

Thanks for the info -- do you have a link?

Offline skeeter

Thanks for the info -- do you have a link?

Its embedded in the Daily Caller article. Unnamed sources, of course.

Offline bolobaby

...and many miles of fencing...

GOOD! We don't need a wall! We need an Israeli style border fence!

Walls are STUPID. A fence is EFFECTIVE.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline bolobaby

You're both wrong. He's a bankrupter who profits personally.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
There is absolutely nothing new in this story -- the entire point of the article is to try to drive a wedge between Trump and his new Chief of Staff so as to weaken the Administration

Earlier in July, before Kelly was Chief of Staff, Trump flatly described exactly what the article claims:

Trump Says Mexico Border Wall Doesn't Need to Cover The Whole Border

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/13/mexico-border-wall-trump-plan-wont-need-full-border

And even back in December 2016, before Kelly was even nominated for DHS, Trump came out and said you don't need a wall across the entire border because of natural barriers:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-no-full-border-wall-thanks-vicious-rivers-article-1.2895264

They're trying to manufacture a Trump/Kelly conflict, hoping that Trump will not want people to believe he is being pushed around by Kelly.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 03:09:35 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

HonestJohn

You can fool some of the people all of the time; you can fool all of the people some of the time, but you can never fool all of the people all of the time.
- P. T. Barnum
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:18:25 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
You can fool some of the people all of the time; you can fool all of the people some of the time, but you can never fool all of the people all of the time.
- P. T. Barnum

My fool brother in law is sure that Trump is going to nuke Russia, China, and NK leading to him becoming the most popular president of all time and "undisputed leader of the planet".

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
There is absolutely nothing new in this story -- the entire point of the article is to try to drive a wedge between Trump and his new Chief of Staff so as to weaken the Administration.
/bingo
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert