Author Topic: ‘Ironclad’: In Nearly Hour-Long Phone Call, Japan’s Abe Stands with Trump on North Korea  (Read 536 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

‘Ironclad’: In Nearly Hour-Long Phone Call, Japan’s Abe Stands with Trump on North Korea
Breitbart, Jul 31, 2017

Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and American President Donald Trump vowed to take “concrete actions” to discourage further North Korean belligerence following yet another missile launch last week in an extended phone conversation Monday.
“I completely agreed with President Trump that we, too, have to take further action. We will proceed with concrete actions to heighten the system and capabilities for defense,” Abe told reporters following the conversation Monday, according to Japan’s Asahi Shimbun.

In a readout of the call, the White House confirmed that “President Trump and Prime Minister Abe committed to increasing economic and diplomatic pressure on North Korea, and to convincing other countries to follow suit,” adding that Trump “reaffirmed our ironclad commitment to defend Japan and the Republic of Korea from any attack.

<snip>

In addition to strong support from Japan, the Trump administration is growing closer to South Korea’s new administration under President Moon Jae-in, a leftist expected to take a less hard-line stance on North Korea than predecessor Park Geun-hye. Moon responded to the latest missile test, however, by reaching out to the United States and ordering more units of the American Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system, designed to protect from North Korean attack. As a candidate, Moon had expressed reservations about the THAAD system and ordered a halt on receiving more units.

“Full-swing discussions with the U.S. will also start soon for the deployment of additional launchers,” Moon said this weekend.

Seoul confirmed Monday it is seeking a one-on-one meeting between Defense Minister Song Myoung-moo and American Secretary of Defense James Mattis. “The envisioned meeting is likely to focus on curbing North Korea’s nuclear and missile threats and issues between the two allies, including a revision of a ballistic missile guideline and a U.S. missile defense system,” according to South Korean newswire service Yonhap.

More: http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2017/07/31/ironclad-in-nearly-hour-long-phone-call-japans-abe-stands-with-trump-on-north-korea/

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 11:34:02 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The White House
Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release
July 30, 2017

Readout of President Donald J. Trump’s Call with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan

President Donald J. Trump spoke today with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan to address North Korea’s launch of another intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).  The two leaders agreed that North Korea poses a grave and growing direct threat to the United States, Japan, the Republic of Korea, and other countries near and far.  President Trump and Prime Minister Abe committed to increasing economic and diplomatic pressure on North Korea, and to convincing other countries to follow suit.  President Trump reaffirmed our ironclad commitment to defend Japan and the Republic of Korea from any attack, using the full range of United States capabilities.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/07/30/readout-president-donald-j-trumps-call-prime-minister-shinzo-abe-japan



Offline Mom MD

If Trump wanted to do something concrete, he could let Japan off the leash and support/let them develop their own nukes.  I understand that could be done in a matter of days/weeks (they have the technology and components, all they need to do is assemble and test).  That would get China's attention real fast.
God is still in control

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
If Trump wanted to do something concrete, he could let Japan off the leash and support/let them develop their own nukes.  I understand that could be done in a matter of days/weeks (they have the technology and components, all they need to do is assemble and test).  That would get China's attention real fast.

Its not really about letting them off the leash since they are a sovereign nation. All he really needs to do is publically affirm that sovereignty and suggest that Japan is free to defend themselves in whatever manner they deem necessary.

That said, I doubt Japan would build nukes.

Offline Mom MD

Its not really about letting them off the leash since they are a sovereign nation. All he really needs to do is publically affirm that sovereignty and suggest that Japan is free to defend themselves in whatever manner they deem necessary.

That said, I doubt Japan would build nukes.

I thought there were clauses in Japan's surrender at the end of WW2 that prevent them from developing nukes.
God is still in control

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I thought there were clauses in Japan's surrender at the end of WW2 that prevent them from developing nukes.

There may have been but I doubt anyone seriously considers them binding after 70 years. Besides, what are we going to do if they do develop nukes?

Offline Mom MD

There may have been but I doubt anyone seriously considers them binding after 70 years. Besides, what are we going to do if they do develop nukes?

Exactly.  But I think Trump suggesting they might do so with our blessing would change the balance in Asia and get China thinking real hard.
God is still in control

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Japan really doesn't need nuclear weapons.  Just the threat of them building another reactor ought to be enough.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.