Author Topic: Ron DeSantis: Congress will kill Obamacare if Trump kills lawmakers' subsidies  (Read 1368 times)

Offline bilo

That's odd, because I can go to ADP and look at my pay stubs.  They clearly show where I pay FICA, Federal, Medicare, and State taxes.

One other thing I learned about Medicare premiums is whether you use it or not the premium (which is different from the tax) is automatically deducted from your social security benefit. I learned this when I began investing in Central America and found some great health care providers at very low cost. In talking with some ex-pats I found out that they still had to pay the premium even though they were not in the USA.

IOW, once the govt gets control over your healthcare they won't let go.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
One other thing I learned about Medicare premiums is whether you use it or not the premium (which is different from the tax) is automatically deducted from your social security benefit. I learned this when I began investing in Central America and found some great health care providers at very low cost. In talking with some ex-pats I found out that they still had to pay the premium even though they were not in the USA.

IOW, once the govt gets control over your healthcare they won't let go.

Well, I did not realize ... and still am not sure that the Medicare premium is deducted prior to people receiving SS. 

The problem with anything government controls is that they can change it at will and there's not a dang thing we can do about it.

Social Security is a good example.  We were promised that SS funds would NEVER be touched or used for anything else.  Guess what.  They have been used for other things and the funds...which should have been sacrosanct have been decimated.

My union retirement plan invests the retirement funds and sends regular statements about the status of the fund.

So ... it looks like we can trust unions more than the government.  Ain't that nice?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:07:15 pm by Emjay »
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
The only politician that "gets it", as far I am concerned, is Rand Paul.  The true "fix" for out of control healthcare costs is open free-market competition in the healthCARE industry.  This has very little to do with health insurance.

Rand Paul 'gets it'  but it takes more than that.  Ted Cruz gets it also but he tried very hard to get something passed that would eliminate the worst features of it and put us on the right track.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Let me correct you. Being self employed I pay both sides of the SS Tax and Medicare Tax. A lot of people don't understand that their employer pays half and half is deducted from wages paid. Upon retirement you have the Medicare premium deducted from your SS benefits. The premium is about $108.00 per month. Understand this is a premium on health insurance for someone over 65. As a basis of comparison I saw my health insurance premium go from $670.00 per month for a family of four to over $1,300.00 per month with the start of obamacare. IOW, seniors health insurance is subsidized by the working public and seniors don't pay anything close to what their health coverage costs.

Medicare was the camel's nose in the tent. Now it's medicaid that is finishing the job. Medicaid no longer covers only the poor. Medicaid now covers individuals up to 350% of the poverty line.

The Pubs sold us out. Sen Cruz's amendment was a great opportunity to begin turning away from govt controlled healthcare, but the Pubs didn't care enough to make it happen.

My CPA niece is visiting from the Mainland and she set me straight about the Medicare deduction.  It used to be called FICA and not separated out but now FICA is delineated in the payroll stub and includes both SS tax and Medicare tax.

Dang it all.  Wrong again.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Are you kidding me?  You didn't pay into anything.  You just paid an income tax that was fancifully labeled the Medicare tax. 

You don't get your taxes back, with or without interest, and being a taxpayer doesn't give you a vested right to any welfare benefits.

B I N G O ! ! !
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Well, getting back on topic for a moment:

Ron DeSantis: Congress will kill Obamacare if Trump kills lawmakers' subsidies

Isn't this the goal?

BTW ... what entitled little biotches our lawmaker are ... expose them and replace them.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Well, getting back on topic for a moment:

Isn't this the goal?

BTW ... what entitled little biotches our lawmaker are ... expose them and replace them.

If Trump goes through with his promise to do this it will expose the Congress critters for the petty selfish people they really are.

And it will be a great move by the POTUS.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!