Author Topic: Nashville mayor's son dies of apparent overdose  (Read 1171 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Nashville mayor's son dies of apparent overdose
« on: July 31, 2017, 12:11:59 am »
Nashville mayor's son dies of apparent overdose

By Morgan Winsor

Jul 30, 2017, 2:56 PM ET

PHOTO: Nashville Mayor Megan Barry, center, is hugged by her son, Max, as her husband, Bruce, left, applauds after she was sworn into office in Nashville, Tenn, in this Sept. 25, 2015 file photo.Mark Humphrey/AP, File

Nashville Mayor Megan Barry said Sunday that her only child, 22-year-old Max Barry, has died of an apparent drug overdose.

An emotional statement released by the mayor and her husband, Bruce Barry, said their son died in Denver on Saturday night.

"Early this morning, we received news that no parents should ever have to hear. Our son Max suffered from an overdose and passed away. We cannot begin to describe the pain and heartbreak that comes with losing our only child. Our son was a kind soul full of life and love for his family and friends," the statement said. "Our family would greatly appreciate your thoughts and prayers, and would respectfully ask for privacy as we mourn the loss of our child and begin to understand a world without his laughter and love in our lives."

Max Barry graduated in June from the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, Washington. It is unclear what exactly he overdosed on.

Continued: http://abcnews.go.com/US/nashville-mayors-son-dies-apparent-overdose/story?id=48937071

Happened in Colorado.  :pondering:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 12:14:22 am by TomSea »

Offline Applewood

Re: Nashville mayor's son dies of apparent overdose
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 12:42:32 am »
Notice the phony concern about the "opioid epidemic."  The media can't stop using a tragedy like this to promote the latest liberal meme.  I am so sick of this constant barrage of stories about this "crisis."

Still...prayers for the Barry family as they mourn the loss of their son. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 12:46:15 am »
In the 60s most people did NOT do LSD or heroin since we believed warnings.

Not much symphany, because they know the risks, and go ahead anyway.

And not much respect for their parents, either.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 11:02:07 am »
An intro to Mayor Barry:
NASHVILLE — Megan Barry, a liberal member of the consolidated city-county council here, was elected mayor Thursday, besting a more conservative opponent in a contest in which bouts of mudslinging threatened to overshadow pressing issues of growth and development in the booming city.

Thursday’s runoff election pitted Ms. Barry, 51, an eight-year veteran of the Metropolitan Council, against David Fox, 54, a former hedge-fund manager. Ms. Barry became the first female mayor in Nashville history. Mr. Fox conceded Thursday night as Ms. Barry had earned about 55 percent of the votes with roughly two-thirds of the precincts reporting, The Associated Press reported.

Though the pair had much in common, particularly on social issues — both favor same-sex marriage and abortion rights — Mr. Fox and his supporters worked to portray Ms. Barry as too liberal for Nashville, and Ms. Barry tried to portray Mr. Fox as too conservative, lending the officially nonpartisan contest a decidedly partisan flavor. ...
NYT, 9/11/15.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 01:16:12 pm »
So then I guess Mrs. Barry will be another anti-drug, anti-opioid warrior spending gobs of taxpayer dollars on the drug "crisis."  Liberals can't let a crisis or a tragedy go to waste.  Ask Giffords and her husband. 

Offline TomSea

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 01:23:37 pm »
I assume the man on the left is the husband, certainly looks like the famous lawyer William Kunstler; who is of course, deceased now, so it's not the same man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Kunstler

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 01:24:21 pm »
In the 60s most people did NOT do LSD or heroin since we believed warnings.

Not much symphany, because they know the risks, and go ahead anyway.

And not much respect for their parents, either.

I don't know what happened with the Barrys -- perhaps they did try to get and keep their son off drugs.  Sometimes you can move heaven and earth to help your child, but in the end it's up to the addict to get clean and sober and stay that way.  I worked with a woman who lost her son to a heroin overdose.  She and her husband did all they could to get him off drugs.  Even tried tough love.  Nothing worked.  You can only do so much.  In the end, responsibility falls to the addict.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 01:34:42 pm »
A friend lost her daughter to it. She got addicted in high school but got a handle on it. Somebody gave her a dose with Fetanyl and that was the end.

We are deep into the opioid epidemic here. When they cut off Oxy, people switched to heroin. Supposedly, every 50th dose or so of heroin is laced with stuff that kills you so it is like Russian Roulette. People here were REALLY into Oxy. I was involved in a ministry with a doctor and she went to prison for distributing. Another pastor was jailed for stealing pain meds during pastoral visits to shut-ins. People call it "Appalachian Crack".
Countdown to Resignation

Offline TomSea

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 01:36:19 pm »
We assume the OD was fentanyl; but that has not been disclosed yet. Also, I found this happening in Colorado to be of interests. Still, about the only thing people OD from nowadays is heroin/fentanyl.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 02:02:58 pm »
I would like to get a rough number of how many people are on these new drugs and how many are having bad reactions or dying from them.
Anecdotal stories here and there are somewhat helpful, but until we get a semi-factual total, we're in the dark as to the extent of the crisis.
In my area, like most areas of the country, we have people on meth as well as opioids.  How many I do not know....nobody has printed or aired an actual number.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 02:11:44 pm »
Time to start publicly executing dealers.

You want a "War on Drugs",  well let's really start having one.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 02:19:12 pm »
You won't get much news because it can't be blamed on Republicans. Watch the news coverage. It's really bad but they don't know how to cover it. The dealers are to blame but coming down on them doesn't play well against the BLM narrative(anti-police). You have a large number of victims (good) but no convenient boogeyman(bad).
If we had a Republican governor in Virginia, he would probably be getting the blame. McAuliffe is getting some heat on it but it is tolerable for him.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 02:19:40 pm by Restored »
Countdown to Resignation

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 02:19:17 pm »
  Sometimes you can move heaven and earth to help your child, but in the end it's up to the addict to get clean and sober and stay that way. ... You can only do so much.  In the end, responsibility falls to the addict.
The same might be said of alcoholics (there's one in my family, so I'm all too familiar with that brand of addiction).

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 02:38:07 pm »
The same might be said of alcoholics (there's one in my family, so I'm all too familiar with that brand of addiction).

Gonna slightly disagree because I am one. All the people I know who successfully got off the bottle exchanged it for something else. The majority got really into fitness. Some got really into AA, some church, some sports. One addiction to another. In almost all cases, they exchanged because they were forced into it. Usually it was a Tough Love situation. I have a friend who was a workaholic and now he is an alcoholic. He exchanged working for drinking. That's really bad but he could work and drink so I'm not sure the alcohol is driving this train. But I know a lot of alcoholics who work and don't get arrested. They also don't die suddenly.

Every heroin/pain pill addict I know either can't work or is dead. This is especially true since the Oxy rules were passed because they had to convert to keep up the addiction. For some reason, I know lots of these people.  They either show up at church or another ministry I do. They would rather get a fix than live. If I thought the next drink could kill me, I'd never take it. So it is kinda the same but at a level way beyond.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 02:47:02 pm »
I defer to your greater knowledge, R.  ^-^

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 01:06:46 am »
Gonna slightly disagree because I am one. All the people I know who successfully got off the bottle exchanged it for something else. The majority got really into fitness. Some got really into AA, some church, some sports. One addiction to another. In almost all cases, they exchanged because they were forced into it. Usually it was a Tough Love situation. I have a friend who was a workaholic and now he is an alcoholic. He exchanged working for drinking. That's really bad but he could work and drink so I'm not sure the alcohol is driving this train. But I know a lot of alcoholics who work and don't get arrested. They also don't die suddenly.

Every heroin/pain pill addict I know either can't work or is dead. This is especially true since the Oxy rules were passed because they had to convert to keep up the addiction. For some reason, I know lots of these people.  They either show up at church or another ministry I do. They would rather get a fix than live. If I thought the next drink could kill me, I'd never take it. So it is kinda the same but at a level way beyond.

@Restored @mountaineer @Applewood

I would like to second what you say, @Restored.  If anyone knows of someone who's fully recovered from heroin addiction, I'd like to meet him.  And my brother (a former undercover narcotics officer) would, too.  Because it just doesn't happen.  That drug is far too addictive.  It's horrific.

As for alcohol, I've seen the replacement a lot.  I hired a girl who had DUIs on her background check, on her word she'd overcome her alcoholism...and she had.  But she'd replaced it with a gambling addiction, and that drove her to try to steal my credit card, etc.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn