Author Topic: How Trump can win the ObamaCare fight: End the "friends and cronies" exemption for Congress  (Read 1480 times)

Offline dfwgator

Catch up!  Obamacare lives because of three Republican senators.

If it weren't for Roberts,  we wouldn't have had ObamaCare in the first place.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Congress routinely exempts itself from various laws.

But in this case, Congress did not exempt itself from the law.  Obama exempted them from the cost sharing and government contribution provisions within the law.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 04:06:17 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Impeached for what?  Undoing and Obama EO???

I'd love for Trump to use his pen to strike Congress and government employees from being exempt from ObamaCare and force them into it like the rest of us.

Except the moment he does, I fully expect the Oligarchy at Mordor on the Potomac to work together to make Trump gone.

They are not going to sit idle and let some gilded reality TV blowhard with uncontrollable thumbs tear down the wall they have erected to create Nobles and Serfs.

That's just political reality.

But then, I recall what Trump really wants in terms of government-run healthcare anyway - so Trump's not going to force Congress and himself under Obamacare's umbrella.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
It would be a great move but I won't be holding my breath waiting for it!

It would be a very great move and should be done.  Exempting Congress critters from what they force on tax payers is an evil thing ... the very fact of doing it proves that the current system is not fit for humanity.

I think we should turn the heat on Trump (how do we do that?) and get him to make this move.  The democrats hate him anyway and the Republicans don't like him that much ... so what's the downside.

The People would love him for it and they are his main allies right now.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Oceander

I'd love for Trump to use his pen to strike Congress and government employees from being exempt from ObamaCare and force them into it like the rest of us.

Except the moment he does, I fully expect the Oligarchy at Mordor on the Potomac to work together to make Trump gone.

They are not going to sit idle and let some gilded reality TV blowhard with uncontrollable thumbs tear down the wall they have erected to create Nobles and Serfs.

That's just political reality.

But then, I recall what Trump really wants in terms of government-run healthcare anyway - so Trump's not going to force Congress and himself under Obamacare's umbrella.

Nah.  They'd just "reform" Obamacare to make the exception statutory. 

Oceander

But in this case, Congress did not exempt itself from the law.  Obama exempted them from the cost sharing and government contribution provisions within the law.

That's fair enough, but that wasn't the point I was responding to.