Author Topic: McCain Comes Through for Democrats, Casts Deciding ‘No’ Vote on GOP Health Care Bill  (Read 4975 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Someone has a different take on the matter.

Offline dfwgator

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
It's just as well the "skinny plan" failed, because it would have paved the way to single payer. 

You can't sustain community-rated insurance without some mechanism to address the free rider problem.   I know I keep harping about this, but it's really just Insurance 101 -  if folks can wait to get insurance until they get sick,  the insurance marketplace will collapse.  Current ACA marketplace insurers were petrified of the skinny plan - they knew it would bring about a death spiral.   You cannot eliminate the individual mandate without replacing it with an effective penalty against free ridership.  The House idea of allowing insurers to charge higher premiums wasn't in the skinny plan, nor was the Senate idea of forcing free riders to suffer a six month wait.

It was indeed the worst of both worlds - it kept the community rating requirement, but eliminated penalties on free ridership.  It was a disaster waiting to happen (which is why several Senators demanded a House leadership promise to NOT adopt the skinny plan as a condition of their vote!)

I'm surprised at least one smart Dem didn't vote for it, as a way of forcing the conditions for single payer.   
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 10:33:14 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline dfwgator

While your critique of the "skinny plan" is valid.  The point was to at least keep the Repeal and Replace process moving forward.  The flaws with the "skinny plan" could have been addressed.   Now, we are right back at square one, and it's pretty much dead. 

HonestJohn

Dude you are obviously on the wrong site. If you think a "solution" from 46 democrats would really fix it,  is not a conservative solution.

It is a liberal solution.

I'm pointing out the math.

Not commenting on whether it's a good idea or not.  And you should understand that putting the word "fix" in italics means that I don't particularly see any 'fix' that they'd pass as much of a true fix.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
He doesn't have anything to lose now.  He knows the only one he's going to answer to now... is the Lord.

So he's going to vote his conscience, and there isn't any amount of pressure that can be exerted anymore.

You're right.  This is McCain's swan song,  and he figures he might as well speak truth to power.   The skinny bill is not responsible policy.  ObamaCare was conceived as a partisan bludgeon,  and the GOP is trying to deal with it in an equally partisan fashion.

Conservatives aren't going to get what they want.  They had a shot, but they blew it.   The ACA fix is going to be a moderate fix,  with bipartisan support.    Trump will sign the bill, because he's exerting no leadership of its own, he just wants a political victory. 

Conservatives have to rethink how we approach the job of governing,  but they first have to regain credibility.    I know exactly how we can do that,  and you do too.   
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 12:19:37 am by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

It's just as well the "skinny plan" failed, because it would have paved the way to single payer. 

You can't sustain community-rated insurance without some mechanism to address the free rider problem.   I know I keep harping about this, but it's really just Insurance 101 -  if folks can wait to get insurance until they get sick,  the insurance marketplace will collapse.  Current ACA marketplace insurers were petrified of the skinny plan - they knew it would bring about a death spiral.   You cannot eliminate the individual mandate without replacing it with an effective penalty against free ridership.  The House idea of allowing insurers to charge higher premiums wasn't in the skinny plan, nor was the Senate idea of forcing free riders to suffer a six month wait.

It was indeed the worst of both worlds - it kept the community rating requirement, but eliminated penalties on free ridership.  It was a disaster waiting to happen (which is why several Senators demanded a House leadership promise to NOT adopt the skinny plan as a condition of their vote!)

I'm surprised at least one smart Dem didn't vote for it, as a way of forcing the conditions for single payer.   
keep repeating the 'free rider'.  You have branded yourself as the lib you are, and you are the reminder we need that there are those like you which declare we who do not wish the govt to run our healthcare are seen by you as the bad guys.

And where is the answer to the math quiz on getting 100 votes out of only 99 voters?  Silent again?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jack Posobiec
🇺🇸‏Verified account @JackPosobiec

Multiple Hill staffers confirm last night McCain was heard laughing w Dems and remarked, "Lets see Donald make america great again now"
4:33 PM - 28 Jul 2017
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Jack Posobiec

Multiple Hill staffers confirm last night McCain was heard laughing w Dems and remarked, "Lets see Donald make america great again now"

Wowser! I wouldn't put it past McCain- wonder if we will have this confirmed. While I respect McCain's war service, I do not respect his politics.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
He doesn't have anything to lose now.  He knows the only one he's going to answer to now... is the Lord.

So he's going to vote his conscience, and there isn't any amount of pressure that can be exerted anymore.

True. There is no way he is going to make it to reelection. He is free to get all the 'revenge' he wants now. It will be nothing but pure vindictiveness from now on, until whenever the end comes.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Idiot

Jack Posobiec

There's a shocker....NOT!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Wowser! I wouldn't put it past McCain- wonder if we will have this confirmed. While I respect McCain's war service, I do not respect his politics.

I have no respect for him what-so-ever and the only reason you do is that he has been made famous by the media because of the family he comes from. If he was anyone else he would probably have seen the inside of Leavenworth.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
John McCain served in the military.  There are various conflicting stories of his service and certainly his actions after he returned home are questionable.  There is little doubt (at least in my opinion) that he has done little good for the American people as a Senator and certainly has done nothing positive for the Republican Party.  I can proudly say I didn't vote for him. 

Yes, he has brain cancer and I feel compassion for him as a human being, that compassion does comes with difficulty knowing his past actions in the Senate and with this vote I see him as despicable and I might add it seems he has little conscience.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline cato potatoe

True. There is no way he is going to make it to reelection. He is free to get all the 'revenge' he wants now. It will be nothing but pure vindictiveness from now on, until whenever the end comes.

His behavior is going to become more erratic as time passes.  We already have a diagnosis: his brain is turning itself into a giant walnut.  And I guess we're supposed stand by and give him room to destroy.  Nothing but the best for America.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

HonestJohn

There's a shocker....NOT!

Guess Trump shouldn't have said that he ddn't think McCain wasn't a war hero... because 'he didn't like people who got captured'.

Some people recognized how that'd make it difficult to work with the guy.  The rest...

Oceander

Guess Trump shouldn't have said that he ddn't think McCain wasn't a war hero... because 'he didn't like people who got captured'.

Some people recognized how that'd make it difficult to work with the guy.  The rest...

Not too sure why that should excuse or justify McCain's vote, since all it does is drop him down to Trump's level. 

Offline dfwgator

His behavior is going to become more erratic as time passes.  We already have a diagnosis: his brain is turning itself into a giant walnut.  And I guess we're supposed stand by and give him room to destroy.  Nothing but the best for America.

"I spit my last breath at thee."

Offline corbe

Biden lobbied McCain on healthcare vote: report

By Brooke Seipel - 07/29/17 03:49 PM EDT

Former Vice President Joe Biden reportedly called Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) ahead of Friday's vote on Senate Republicans' healthcare bill, asking that he oppose the legislation.

According to a report by The Washington Post, McCain was called by both Biden and former Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) ahead of the vote, both pleading with McCain to oppose the "skinny' repeal.

Lieberman supported voting for ObamaCare while a senator, and reportedly explained that continued support to McCain during his call.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/344476-biden-lobbied-mccain-on-healthcare-vote-report
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Image result for middle finger from grave

McCain's tombstone to America.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Senator Cruz Just Spoke for Most of America In Three Powerful Sentences

Senator Ted Cruz let his disappointment in his party’s inability to repeal Obamacare after Senator John McCain oddly voted “NO” on said repeal, stating that many Americans “feel a sense of betrayal”.

http://redrightvideos.com/senator-cruz-just-spoke-america-three-powerful-sentences/