Author Topic: US flies two B-1 bombers over South Korea after North Korea missile launch  (Read 1470 times)

Online corbe

US flies two B-1 bombers over South Korea after North Korea missile launch

By Brooke Seipel - 07/29/17 11:22 PM EDT   97comments

The United States on Saturday flew two Air Force B-1 bombers over South Korea in response to North Korea's ballistic missile test earlier in the day.

"North Korea remains the most urgent threat to regional stability," Gen. Terrence O'Shaughnessy, a Pacific Air Forces Commander, said in a statement released Saturday.

"Diplomacy remains the lead; however, we have a responsibility to our allies and our nation to showcase our unwavering commitment while planning for the worst-case scenario. If called upon, we are ready to respond with rapid, lethal and overwhelming force at a time and place of our choosing," he added.

The two B-1s took off from Andersen Air Force Base in Guam before flying over Japanese airspace and being joined by two Japan Air Self Defense Force fighter jets. The B-1s then flew over the Korean Peninsula and over the Osan Air Base in South Korea.

According to the statement, the mission lasted 10 hours and included formation and intercept training.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/344505-us-flies-two-b-1-bombers-over-south-korea-after-north-korea-missile-launch
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

Worked around BUFF's for 4 years, but I always loved the B1.
   I was already out when Carter canceled the program in 77, but 15 years after I left my last duty station, Dyess AFB had a squadron of them, still the 96th Bomb Wing.

In June 1985, the 96th received its first B-1B Lancer replacing the B-52 Stratofortress and in October 1986, assumed nuclear alert status. Since achieving IOC, Dyess has been recognized as the premier bomber training center and leads the fleet in maintaining the highest mission capability status of its aircraft, avionics test stations and support equipment.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Headline:
"US flies two B-1 bombers over South Korea after North Korea missile launch"

Big deal.
This demonstrates nothing.

If the United States wishes to convey to North Korea that it will not tolerate the launching of ICBM missiles or other missiles, the most demonstrative way to illustrate our disapproval would be to SHOOT DOWN those missiles before they get very far skyward.

In nearly all cases, no lives would be lost, nothing damaged -- except the erstwhile missile.

With all our technology, with all our weaponry, and with our superb detection systems, we ARE in a position to do that... aren't we...?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:12:50 am by Fishrrman »

Oceander

Headline:
"US flies two B-1 bombers over South Korea after North Korea missile launch"

Big deal.
This demonstrates nothing.

If the United States wishes to convey to North Korea that it will not tolerate the launching of ICBM missiles or other missiles, the most demonstrative way to illustrate our disapproval would be to SHOOT DOWN those missiles before they get very far skyward.

In nearly all cases, no lives would be lost, nothing damaged -- except the erstwhile missile.

With all our technology, with all our weaponry, and with our superb detection systems, we ARE in a position to do that... aren't we...?

Shooting down another country's rocket would be tantamount to an act of war.  Not a good idea. 

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
We always fly bombers over south Korea.

Offline Cripplecreek

Shooting down another country's rocket would be tantamount to an act of war.  Not a good idea.

I think we probably have the capability and make it look like a NK failure because you don't want them to succeed but you don't want to start a war either.

Oceander

I think we probably have the capability and make it look like a NK failure because you don't want them to succeed but you don't want to start a war either.

They will know that it was a shoot down, and they may respond by invading SK.  Not a good idea unless the US is prepared for an immediate hot war. 

Wingnut

Worked around BUFF's for 4 years, . [/I]

Big Ugly Fat Fellows* will send a message.

Offline Idiot

Worked around BUFF's for 4 years, but I always loved the B1.
   I was already out when Carter canceled the program in 77, but 15 years after I left my last duty station, Dyess AFB had a squadron of them, still the 96th Bomb Wing.

In June 1985, the 96th received its first B-1B Lancer replacing the B-52 Stratofortress and in October 1986, assumed nuclear alert status. Since achieving IOC, Dyess has been recognized as the premier bomber training center and leads the fleet in maintaining the highest mission capability status of its aircraft, avionics test stations and support equipment.
Yup....and I have the honor of watching our beautiful B-1's fly daily.  Magnificent plane.........

Wingnut

They will know that it was a shoot down, and they may respond by invading SK.  Not a good idea unless the US is prepared for an immediate hot war.

The time for all that nonsense has passed.  We need to shit or get of the pot.

Offline Idiot

The time for all that nonsense has passed.  We need to shit or get of the pot.
Millions of South Korean lives hang in the balance....not that easy........

Wingnut

Well you know.... sometimes others must sacrifice for the misdeeds of others.

Offline dfwgator

Well you know.... sometimes others must sacrifice for the misdeeds of others.

Wingnut

It's how we roll.  God bless us all. :silly:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Seems to me that the SK political structure has been of the policy of appeasement the past few decades.

They had their chance to have us help handle this. SK population needs to themselves accountable for electing accordingly.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cripplecreek

They won't invade South Korea. They might do some early damage but they would lose. After all, they would be facing 2 of the most powerful military forces on the planet.

Plus I see no reason to believe that we couldn't destroy their missiles without leaving a trace. We have the tech for killing missiles with laser and have had it for 20 years and gotten pretty good at it. Obama ended the airborne version but I believe the waterborne version is still being developed. A missile suddenly heats up and explodes in the air without leaving much evidence of anything.

This is just a small close range demo but impressive none the less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL9_Tldmrhs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmkYcEcSLvA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_YAL-1