Author Topic: Throwaway culture: The truth about recycling  (Read 1023 times)

rangerrebew

Throwaway culture: The truth about recycling
« on: July 25, 2017, 11:22:44 am »

Feature

19 July 2017
Throwaway culture: The truth about recycling

By Bob Holmes

Which materials are worth recycling?

From the most basic environmental point of view, all materials are worth recycling, because this reduces the need for energy-intensive mining and smelting of virgin materials. That makes a huge difference for some things – notably aluminium – but even recycling glass leads to a small energy saving and consequent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions. Recycling can also provide a reliable, non-imported source of scarce resources such as the rare earth metals that are crucial parts of touchscreens and other high-tech devices.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Throwaway culture: The truth about recycling
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 11:28:19 am »
I blew off recycling when I noticed the garbage man throwing the trash can contents and both recycle bins into the same truck.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 05:09:49 pm »
I blew off recycling when I noticed the garbage man throwing the trash can contents and both recycle bins into the same truck.

Anything burnable, I burn.  Glass and steel cans get thrown in the township recycle dumpsters.  Food scraps get composted.  Everything else gets bagged in plastic grocery bags and dropped in the gas station of convenience store trashcans.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 06:37:25 pm »
Once, while working at Watts Bar, I measured the volume of the paper recycling bins outside the main office and got to look at the trucks hauling logs to the local pulp mill. It turns out that given the density of waste paper and logs for pulping, production costs, and transportation costs, it is cheaper for the overall cycle to use virgin paper than it is to recycle, which is why it has to be subsidized.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 09:03:06 am »
Once, while working at Watts Bar, I measured the volume of the paper recycling bins outside the main office and got to look at the trucks hauling logs to the local pulp mill. It turns out that given the density of waste paper and logs for pulping, production costs, and transportation costs, it is cheaper for the overall cycle to use virgin paper than it is to recycle, which is why it has to be subsidized.

Did you account for the additional landfill space costs in your calculation?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 03:50:37 pm »

Yep. Why do you think paper recycling still has to be subsidized? The biggest problem with all recycling programs by the government is that they do not look at the entire cycle, only that part which supports their mission and gets the biggest appropriations for building their little bureaucratic empires.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 05:04:43 pm »

You may be surprised to learn that paper - which is largely made from trees - is 100% biodegradable.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 05:19:08 pm »

Got a lot of free time on your hands, eh?

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 05:39:00 pm »

The nuke testing world has a lot of downtime while waiting for things to happen. The measurement of the bin was done during work, but the analysis was done at night at home.....

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 05:51:29 pm »

He calculates sanitation engineering problems at a bar?   Bet he is hoot to drink with.  /s
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 05:53:17 pm »
Bottom line is if prices ever rise or costs drop enough to make recycling economically feasible, it will be done.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 06:52:10 pm »
Bottom line is if prices ever rise or costs drop enough to make recycling economically feasible, it will be done.

Yep, though by market forces, not government fiat.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 07:15:46 pm »
The county I live in started forcing everyone to recycle by dropping garbage pick up to one day per week.  Recycle is picked up a different day of the week.  They delivered a garbage can and a recycle can to everyone in the county and that is the only can that will be emptied at the road side.  The trucks that come by have only a driver.  An arm swings over from the truck to pick up the can and empty into the truck.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 07:30:12 pm »
He calculates sanitation engineering problems at a bar?   Bet he is hoot to drink with.  /s