Author Topic: Don’t Resign, Jeff Sessions: For the sake of the country, stay until Trump fires you.  (Read 375 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
By David French
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/449814/jeff-session-resignation-would-hurt-country

At this moment the attorney general of the United States is at the eye of a presidential storm.

Donald Trump is very angry that Jeff Sessions recused himself from the Russian investigation.

He’s very angry that firing James Comey didn’t calm the public outcry.

And now he’s very angry that there’s a special counsel who operates largely outside of his direct control.

So he’s doing what an unfit president and a terrible boss does: He’s venting on Twitter . . .

. . . His tweets come after he told the New York Times that he would never have hired Sessions if he’d
known the then-Alabama senator would later recuse himself from the Russia investigation, and a day
after he tweeted that Sessions was “beleaguered” because of his alleged indifference to “Crooked Hillary’s”
crimes.

Oddly enough, it was Trump himself who said after the election that he didn’t want to pursue the Clintons.
But that was then. Now, the president is under pressure and lashing out. His new communications director,
Anthony Scaramucci, said this morning that Trump “probably” wanted the attorney general gone.

If that is indeed the case, Sessions shouldn’t resign. He should clearly and unequivocally signal his intent to
remain in his office until the moment the president actually fires him. He should call the president’s bluff.

I don’t agree with all of Sessions’s political and policy choices. I strongly disagreed with his decision to endorse
and help legitimize Trump during the primary campaign, and just last week I strongly disagreed with his decision
to expand federal civil asset forfeiture . . .

If Sessions goes, Trump will be free to appoint a true lackey to the attorney general’s office and then instruct
that lackey to either cripple or terminate Robert Mueller’s investigation. Such blatant presidential interference
— especially after his son, son-in-law, and campaign chair were caught meeting with a person they were told
was a Russian government official who offered opposition research on his opponent — would ignite a firestorm
on Capitol Hill orders of magnitude greater than any we’ve seen so far . . .
I want Sessions gone because he never should have been there in the first place, not a man who refuses to
open his eyes and brains to the crime of civil asset forfeiture.

But French is right. The smart thing to do is for Sessions to hang in until Donaldus Minimus fires him. Then let
it all be further on Donaldus Minimus's---I hate to use a four-letter word when I know there will be ladies
present---head.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Frank Cannon

So he’s doing what an unfit president and a terrible boss does: He’s venting on Twitter . . .

Of course Donny is unfit in the minds of NR...who put pen to paper and argued that Hitlary was the actual Conservative running in '16.

BTW, go eff yourself Dave. You are the archetype DC beltway circle jerker who gets the vapors when your weltanschauung is disturbed. "French" is about the best last name for an ugly dirty shitbag like you. 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Trump is too much of a cowardly gutless little bitch to fire sessions himself.