Author Topic: Trump messes with Sessions, and Senate Republicans are not pleased  (Read 3081 times)

Offline bilo

Re: Trump messes with Sessions, and Senate Republicans are not pleased
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 06:56:10 pm »
I don't think this  true.
Sessions had to recuse himself.

The investigation started by looking into the Russian interference into the election, and the campaigns.
Trump really didn't have this massive organized campaign structure, like traditional candidates do, and Sessions took on a larger role than he may have during a tradition campaign.

If Sessions doesn't recuse himself, he would be in charge of an investigation into an election he was quite involved in.
It would have looked as if were trying to control the outcome, to his own benefit.
Everyone would have had a fit.
It would have had the appearance of Sessions investigating himself.

So what.

What could Congress do about it. Appearance of conflict of interest never bothers Rat AG's.

Sessions wants to be a "gentleman" and do the "right thing" so he recuses himself and puts a lifetime Rat in charge who then hires a political insider as special prosecutor. The special prosecutor then hires a staff of Rats to begin investigating. All this where there is no evidence of a crime.

Yet when Lynch and Holder are AG's nothing is done about the IRS targeting conservatives, nothing is done about the Sect. of State selling out the USA's interests for donations to her foundation. Conservatives raised a ruckus about these things, but Congress did nothing.

The Pubs can play "nice" and continue to lose, or they can fight like their lives depend on it and win.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 07:15:00 pm »
Yet when Lynch and Holder are AG's nothing is done about the IRS targeting conservatives, nothing is done about the Sect. of State selling out the USA's interests for donations to her foundation. Conservatives raised a ruckus about these things, but Congress did nothing.

The Pubs can play "nice" and continue to lose, or they can fight like their lives depend on it and win.

Unless you finally figure out that the Republican Party is working for the same Oligarchy that the Democrats run.

Then you begin to understand the WHY's of the fecklessness and uselessness of the Republican party.

It's all kabuki theater towards the same ends the Democrats want to bring about.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 02:20:43 am »
I sense this brouhaha of Trump v. Sessions is largely fake, trumped up (haha, couldn't resist) news.

The left wants Sessions out because he has been VERY effective so far at identifying criminal illegals, and rounding them up and deporting them, not to mention his efforts to break up the MS-13 gang.

They'll do whatever they can to transform the molehill into a mountain.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2017, 02:28:07 am »
I sense this brouhaha of Trump v. Sessions is largely fake, trumped up (haha, couldn't resist) news.

The left wants Sessions out because he has been VERY effective so far at identifying criminal illegals, and rounding them up and deporting them, not to mention his efforts to break up the MS-13 gang.

They'll do whatever they can to transform the molehill into a mountain.

Of for bleep sakes, the 12 dimensional chess argument again? Are you bleep kidding me?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2017, 03:32:41 am »
Of for bleep sakes, the 12 dimensional chess argument again? Are you bleep kidding me?

What do you expect from a bunch of morons who bought long time political insider Scaramucci as an outsider who will drain the swamp.

They can convince themselves of anything.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2017, 12:05:09 pm »
Let's all circle the wagons around the dude who wants to focus the might of the Justice Dept on pot busts and confiscating peoples wealth without a conviction.

You are right, of course. Sessions is not worth expending much ammo to defend. He's been a huge disappointment as AG - what dipstick picked him for the post?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2017, 12:12:01 pm »
No, the President is not.

The President is very disappointed with the AG. He's pissed because Sessions wasn't honest during his interview about recusal and went ahead and did it without even giving the President a "heads up"

Sessions is supposed to be draining the entrenched swamp critters from the Department of Justice and he's not even started to do so.  But credit where credit is due, Sessions is busy toughening marijuana laws. 

And let's remember, thanks to recent guidelines from Congress (thank you Mr. Comey), the President is no longer allowed to meet privately with the AG .... lest there be even the appearance of collusion.  So, the only way the President can remind Sessions that he's not doing the job he was hired to do .... is to do publically.  It is Sessions who is ignoring this and prolonging it.

Sessions needs to do the job he said he would do.

@Right_in_Virginia

OK, that were good. Damned good in fact.

Going for Spicey's job?  :tongue2:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2017, 02:29:20 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

OK, that were good. Damned good in fact.

Going for Spicey's job?  :tongue2:

All things considered, I sure hope not.   ^-^

@EC

Offline aligncare

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2017, 02:53:50 pm »
You are right, of course. Sessions is not worth expending much ammo to defend. He's been a huge disappointment as AG - what dipstick picked him for the post?

Pres. Trump was just being 'loyal' to a senator who was the first to support Trump when everyone else was distancing themselves, and whose help with the southern vote was incalculable.

But as is often the case, no good deed goes unpunished. President Trump will be criticized no matter what he does.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2017, 03:37:50 pm »
Pres. Trump was just being 'loyal' to a senator who was the first to support Trump when everyone else was distancing themselves, and whose help with the southern vote was incalculable.

But as is often the case, no good deed goes unpunished. President Trump will be criticized no matter what he does.
A lot of the time the criticism is justified.  Sessions, like many other pols, would make a much president than Trump. I'll bet he would even be grateful to senators who played huge roles in getting him elected and not make public comments trashing him...whaddya think?

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2017, 05:43:33 pm »
Why doesn't Sessions demand a meeting with the President to discuss the President's disappointment?

Why the hell is Sessions mobilizing the swamp to protect him?  What makes him so worth saving in this job?

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 05:44:04 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2017, 05:47:44 pm »
So what.

What could Congress do about it. Appearance of conflict of interest never bothers Rat AG's.

Sessions wants to be a "gentleman" and do the "right thing" so he recuses himself and puts a lifetime Rat in charge who then hires a political insider as special prosecutor. The special prosecutor then hires a staff of Rats to begin investigating. All this where there is no evidence of a crime.

We won't agree on this, is see, so be it.
Government run amok by either side is still government run amok.
Here's a quote from Kevin D. Williamson's National Review Online article today, "Hang on, Sessions", which says it better than I can.

"We also ought to keep in mind the not inconsequential fact that on the question of his recusal, Sessions is in the right. There is a Justice Department investigation into the Trump campaign; Jeff Sessions served on the Trump campaign; Jeff Sessions cannot be directly involved in the investigation into a political campaign of which he was an active part. This is an ethical necessity, and one that is not to be set aside at the whim of the president or in service to the president’s political needs. For Sessions to voluntarily step aside for having done the right thing would muddy those waters to the detriment of his reputation and, more important, to the detriment of our national standard for ethical conduct in government, or whatever remains of it."

Oceander

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2017, 05:49:59 pm »
We won't agree on this, is see, so be it.
Government run amok by either side is still government run amok.
Here's a quote from Kevin D. Williamson's National Review Online article today, "Hang on, Sessions", which says it better than I can.

"We also ought to keep in mind the not inconsequential fact that on the question of his recusal, Sessions is in the right. There is a Justice Department investigation into the Trump campaign; Jeff Sessions served on the Trump campaign; Jeff Sessions cannot be directly involved in the investigation into a political campaign of which he was an active part. This is an ethical necessity, and one that is not to be set aside at the whim of the president or in service to the president’s political needs. For Sessions to voluntarily step aside for having done the right thing would muddy those waters to the detriment of his reputation and, more important, to the detriment of our national standard for ethical conduct in government, or whatever remains of it."

:thumbsup:

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2017, 05:53:54 pm »
Why doesn't Sessions demand a meeting with the President to discuss the President's disappointment?

Why the hell is Sessions mobilizing the swamp to protect him?  What makes him so worth saving in this job?

Because its always good to have an inside man.   Session is very very loyal to the GOP
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

• Technical
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2017, 05:59:11 pm »

Why doesn't Trump stop being such a gutless turd and fire Sessions?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2017, 06:10:35 pm »
"Why doesn't Trump stop being such a gutless turd and fire Sessions?"

Because that is not his objective. His objective sounds like it was to light a fire under Sessions to get him going on some issues.

• Technical
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2017, 06:13:55 pm »
Because that is not his objective. His objective sounds like it was to light a fire under Sessions to get him going on some issues.

Maybe that is his objective but it's making him look like a horse's ass.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2017, 06:21:48 pm »
Maybe that is his objective but it's making him look like a horse's ass.

Yeah people always hate to get yelled at by the boss.  Snowflakes in this country just aren't used to that anymore.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2017, 06:27:51 pm »
Yeah people always hate to get yelled at by the boss.  Snowflakes in this country just aren't used to that anymore.
yes, and if you knew, like Sessions, that you were a lot smarter and a much better person than the boss, you'd resent it too.

• Technical
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2017, 06:28:14 pm »

Trump is the POTUS, bro. He's embarassing and humiliating himself. This is not how you handle this.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2017, 06:36:59 pm »
Trump is the POTUS, bro. He's embarassing and humiliating himself. This is not how you handle this.

I'm not your bro, if I was I'd have whipped some sense into you a long time ago.  :)

Trump might be embarrassing others but I doubt he cares a tiny bit about the consternation he's causing.    He's not a politician and doesn't give a crap what others thing, except his adoring fans who put him there.   He actually seems the most responsive President in my lifetime to what the average Joe wants.  Kinda surprising, probably due to his reality TV experience.

Oceander

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2017, 06:41:18 pm »
Yeah, humiliation is always such a good management technique.  :rolleyes:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2017, 06:46:55 pm »
Trump messes with Sessions, and Senate Republicans are not pleased

By Lesley Clark

lclark@mcclatchydc.com

July 25, 2017 5:00 AM
WASHINGTON

President Donald Trump is getting a bitter Washington lesson when he messes with Jeff Sessions – you don't pick a fight with one of the Senate's guys.

It's a lesson that could cost him politically in a Senate where he badly needs Republican support for his lengthy agenda, starting with healthcare on Tuesday.

"I don’t understand it. There’s no more honorable person I’ve ever met in my life than Jeff Sessions,” said Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., a close friend of Sessions and his wife. “The only person who is more upset with Trump about this than me, is my wife.”

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/congress/article163424468.html#storylink=cpy

There's no doubt that Trump busted his britches over this insane Sessions rant he's doing.

Must point out, though, that he wasn't exactly on target to be the Prom King before that.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2017, 07:14:01 pm »
I think Trump is frustrated that Sessions is merely a career government worker, delay, lack of progress, is his pace.

Can you say Darrel Issa, Trey Gowdy? Like when do they actually get something done?

As long as Sessions is viewed as a legislator, he comes off well, because he says what you want to hear.

Put him in roles of actually getting things done quickly, and he seems to have disappointed Trump.

I used to work in the construction business, and the top people want results, not excuses for plodding along like the department of motor vehicles.

So the article is all about the other career government employees, going to bat for Sessions, since they too have found a comfortable final resting place with John McCain, Mitch McConnell, etc.

But by all means, side with the dems and the media, and criticize Trump for wanting results.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2017, 07:26:42 pm »
I'm not your bro, if I was I'd have whipped some sense into you a long time ago.  :)

Trump might be embarrassing others but I doubt he cares a tiny bit about the consternation he's causing.    He's not a politician and doesn't give a crap what others thing, except his adoring fans who put him there.   He actually seems the most responsive President in my lifetime to what the average Joe wants.  Kinda surprising, probably due to his reality TV experience.

:banghead: