Author Topic: Why the Rust Belt just gave Donald Trump a hero’s welcome  (Read 343 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Why the Rust Belt just gave Donald Trump a hero’s welcome
By Salena Zito
July 25, 2017 | 9:29pm | Updated

YOUNGSTOWN, OHIO — This town was on fire.

By 1 in the afternoon on Tuesday every main thoroughfare in downtown Youngstown was filled with happy people heading towards the Covelli Centre. Folks dressed in red, white and blue crisscrossed the main grids as vendors sold “Make America Great Again” ball caps, American flags and bottles of water.

Thousands had filled the gravel parking lot to wait until the doors opened at 4, license plates revealing they had traveled as far as Indiana, Michigan, Pennsylvania and West Virginia to see the president speak directly to them in this Rust Belt city.

Continued: http://nypost.com/2017/07/25/why-the-rust-belt-just-gave-donald-trump-a-heros-welcome/

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Re: Why the Rust Belt just gave Donald Trump a hero’s welcome
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 10:02:16 am »
If you wade through the preamble fluff, you eventually get down to the meat of the article, which is a bit sparse in my opinion.  But then again, I'm not a "journalist".

A very similar approach to the one Bruce Springsteen took with his blue-collar ballad “Youngstown” or Billy Joel with “Allentown” — out-of-work steelworkers, their family members and their communities across the country saw themselves in those ballads.

“The struggles of those voters and the theme; the division between the wealthy and Washington and the working class, are universal to those experiencing the impact,” said Sracic.

The big story in Youngstown goes beyond the loss of jobs. It is the loss of the next generation to remain here and continue the American dream their parents and grandparents started.

“What really bothers people is the connection between jobs and community,” Sracic added. “The Youngstown community has been falling apart because there aren’t enough jobs here to keep the kids here; in Trump, they finally got somebody who seems to get the fact that this is a problem.”

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 10:38:55 am »
These are the people who are so desperate they spend their hard earned dollars on lottery tickets.
Sad to see them exploited and manipulated by the charlatan in chief.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 10:55:33 am »
Meanwhile newly unemployed former Carrier employees say Trump lied to them.