Author Topic: Your eardrums move in sync with your eyes but we don’t know why  (Read 575 times)

rangerrebew

Daily news

21 July 2017
Your eardrums move in sync with your eyes but we don’t know why

By Aylin Woodward

See, hear. Our eardrums appear to move to shift our hearing in the same direction as our eyes are looking. Why this happens is unclear, but it may help us work out which objects we see are responsible for the sounds we can hear.

Jennifer Groh at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, and her team have been using microphones inserted into people’s ears to study how their eardrums change during saccades – the movement that occurs when we shift visual focus from one place to another. You won’t notice it, but our eyes go through several saccades a second to take in our surroundings.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2141467-your-eardrums-move-in-sync-with-your-eyes-but-we-dont-know-why/
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:26:00 am by rangerrebew »

Oceander

Re: Your eardrums move in sync with your eyes but we don’t know why
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 05:44:55 pm »
Makes sense. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 05:53:42 pm »
How many times have people told me "I can't hear a thing if I don't have my glasses on."
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 06:19:19 pm »
How many times have people told me "I can't hear a thing if I don't have my glasses on."

Exactly!  I used to wear contacts and I could tell the difference much more without them than without my glasses.  It was quite common for me to say, "I can't here you without my contacts."

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 08:11:12 pm »

Yet they'll turn down the radio to look for a street address.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn