Author Topic: Pope Francis attacks conservative Catholics -- and Trump?  (Read 878 times)

rangerrebew

Pope Francis attacks conservative Catholics -- and Trump?
« on: August 08, 2017, 04:01:38 pm »

Pope Francis attacks conservative Catholics -- and Trump?

By John Moody

Published August 08, 2017
FoxNews.com

Someone brought a dog to mass at my parish this weekend. It lay smack in the middle of the main aisle, forcing parishioners to edge around it. No one said anything, but the symbolism was not lost on some in attendance: dogs may be going to church, but the universal Roman Catholic Church is going to the dogs.

Under Pope Francis, the church has abandoned many of its bedrock positions on issues like divorce and homosexuality in favor of a “why not?” attitude. Francis has scolded people for being rich, sided with illegal immigrants, and suggested the church should be a refuge for the poor.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/08/08/pope-francis-attacks-conservative-catholics-and-trump.html

Offline dfwgator

Re: Pope Francis attacks conservative Catholics -- and Trump?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 04:09:47 pm »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 10:18:32 pm »

"...and suggested the church should be a refuge for the poor."

He and others in the church hierarchy like to guilt Americans because "they don't do enough for the poor."  Fine.  If he wants the church to be a refuge to the poor, particularly those alleged "refugees," he can take several thousand in at the Vatican.  Let the church with all its riches look after those poor refugees.

I used to be Catholic, but it's this sort of thing that drove me away.  I will do my part for the downtrodden AMERICANS, but I will be (expletive) if I will go bankrupt trying to take care of the world.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 10:28:07 pm »

"...and suggested the church should be a refuge for the poor."

He and others in the church hierarchy like to guilt Americans because "they don't do enough for the poor."  Fine.  If he wants the church to be a refuge to the poor, particularly those alleged "refugees," he can take several thousand in at the Vatican.  Let the church with all its riches look after those poor refugees.

I used to be Catholic, but it's this sort of thing that drove me away.  I will do my part for the downtrodden AMERICANS, but I will be (expletive) if I will go bankrupt trying to take care of the world.

And Frankly they can pay for them....TAX THE CHURCH!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 10:49:33 pm »
In my nice town and county, there is a homeless problem.

But I do not see even one single tent, or even a day spot, on a church grounds, for homeless to congregate.

Not one. And a "inter-group" council of churches, which dispenses surplus food, does NOT do it from any church facility. (The most active in these good works, appear to be Mormons and Catholics, but not at their facilities).

It reminds my of the "Nimby" phenom. Not in my back yard. The church grounds are spotless, not despoiled by those dastardly homeless.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 10:54:59 pm »

But I do not see even one single tent, or even a day spot, on a church grounds, for homeless to congregate.

Not one. And a "inter-group" council of churches, which dispenses surplus food, does NOT do it from any church facility. (The most active in these good works, appear to be Mormons and Catholics, but not at their facilities).

It reminds my of the "Nimby" phenom. Not in my back yard. The church grounds are spotless, not despoiled by those dastardly homeless.

@truth_seeker
They don't do it from church grounds because of regulations.  Any food has to come an approved and permitted kitchen.  The church would also require permits to house homeless.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 11:05:26 pm »
@truth_seeker
They don't do it from church grounds because of regulations.  Any food has to come an approved and permitted kitchen.  The church would also require permits to house homeless.
While that's all true, there are still those who have no compunction about violating health and zoning laws of their city and doing it from church grounds for what they consider the greater good, no matter how it negatively impacts their neighbors. The city of Buena Park,CA. has been trying to reign in The Reverend Wiley Drake for years over his repeated violations.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:06:03 pm by GtHawk »

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 11:27:23 pm »
@truth_seeker
I do not know about food. I do know that no church permits loitering for the day, or night, at the church grounds.

They wind up instead at the beaches and parks. And sneaking around looking for houses and cars, to break into for drug money.

They used to get run out of our town. There still seem to be places that will run them off. Nice hotels and centers, for example.

20-30 years it was an oddity that Santa Barbara, let them congregate along a grass lined boardwalk near the bech, and on the main street (State St.).

Now most laces are more like whacky Santa Barbara. I do not like it one bit.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 11:52:43 pm »
I do not know about food. I do know that no church permits loitering for the day, or night, at the church grounds.

They wind up instead at the beaches and parks. And sneaking around looking for houses and cars, to break into for drug money.

They used to get run out of our town. There still seem to be places that will run them off. Nice hotels and centers, for example.

20-30 years it was an oddity that Santa Barbara, let them congregate along a grass lined boardwalk near the bech, and on the main street (State St.).

Now most laces are more like whacky Santa Barbara. I do not like it one bit.
You are over generalizing, there are indeed there are indeed Churches that allow homeless people to stay on their grounds, some are good shepherds and neighbors that the cities work with and then there are people like Drake that the city tried to work with but he just burned them repeatedly.
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/02/09/city-of-buena-park-ready-to-close-pastor-wiley-drakes-church-homeless-shelter-calling-it-unsafe/

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 03:59:11 pm »

My church participates in Family Promise.  We take turns providing shelter to those homeless under the program at our church.

http://familypromise.org/programs/core-program/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 04:10:44 pm »
My church participates in Family Promise.  We take turns providing shelter to those homeless under the program at our church.

http://familypromise.org/programs/core-program/
We have an "Interfaith Council of Churches," which gathers surplus and donated food, and dispenses it from a city building, not from a church facility.

No church that I am aware of, shelters homeless at their own facility.

But many homeless don't really want shelter, for it comes with rules attached. And 2/3 of homeless are addict/alcoholic and/or mentally ill.

They will take food handouts, but they prefer cash, so they can buy drugs/alcohol.

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 05:40:32 pm »
We have an "Interfaith Council of Churches," which gathers surplus and donated food, and dispenses it from a city building, not from a church facility.

No church that I am aware of, shelters homeless at their own facility.

But many homeless don't really want shelter, for it comes with rules attached. And 2/3 of homeless are addict/alcoholic and/or mentally ill.

They will take food handouts, but they prefer cash, so they can buy drugs/alcohol.

It is a selective program.  They don't give shelter to just anyone.  It is for homeless families, and they have to be will to work to get into the program.  Truly for people wanting a hand up, not a hand out.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 05:48:39 pm »
It is a selective program.  They don't give shelter to just anyone.  It is for homeless families, and they have to be will to work to get into the program.  Truly for people wanting a hand up, not a hand out.

:thumbsup: